Demolished / Refurbished homes & buildings

 

Demolished and Refurbished Homes and Buildings of Ocean Springs

 

"Gone, but not Forgotten"

 

This page will be a memorial to those homes and buildings at Ocean Springs that have been lost.  All were not architectural treasures, but were part of the streetscape and therefore salient to the history of this community.  The author has chosen to list them from most recently vanished as a recent reminder of how rapidly we are losing our architectural history.

1900 - 1949

 

August 1937

H. Minor Russell Home

This Spanish Colonial Revival home was built in 1927 on the southwest corner of Front Beach Drive and Martin Avenue for Hiram Minor Russell (1892-1940) by Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960) from a design by Shaw & Woleben, Gulfport, Mississippi architects.  The Russell home cost $40,000 and was destroyed by fire in late August 1937. 

 

Henry J. Terry (1890-1975) acquired the Russell lot and built a home here in 1941.  With the housing shortage created by the erection of Keesler AFB at Biloxi, Mr. Terry  acquired more land around his home and built seven duplex cottages, which became known as The Terry Courts.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

July 1936

 

Artesian House

In July, the White House, formerly the Artesian House, was demolished by Charles Braun of Biloxi for its heart pine lumber.  A.E. “Fred” Lewis (1862-1933) had erected this small hostel on the southwest corner of Jackson and Porter in 1891.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

circa 1935?

Paragon Saloon

 The Paragon Saloon was situated on the southwest corner of Washington Avenue and Robinson.  It was probably built by Thomas Cochran (1852-1883), the son-in-law of Antonio Franco (1834-1891).  George E. Arndt (1852-1945) acquired the property in 1897 and ran his Paragon Saloon here from about 1892 to 1912.  He moved the saloon building to the west and sold the lot tothe fledging Farmers and Merchants State Bank in January 1913.  The Paragon Saloon until the commencement of the Prohibition era in 1919.  Later, the old saloon building served as a boarding house managed by Ona May Seeman Westbrook (1886-1967), the wife of John Westbrook (1886-1922).    She rented rooms and prepared meals for itinerant railroad workers.  The American Legion Hall occupied the structure prior to 1925.  The building was demolished by Charles Braun during the Depression years, and the vacant lot was used by mechanic, Claude Engbarth (1894-1967), to park cars on.  The Farmers and Merchants State Bank was erected on the southwest corner of Washington and Robinson in 1913. 

 *******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Fall 1934

 

Case-Russell Home

 

A damaging conflagration occurred in the H.F. Russell home on February 11, 1933.  Although the fine structure was not destroyed in the fire, its fine furnishings and interior were ruined.  Due to the financial woes of the Depression, the Russell family lost their home.  In September 1934, Mae Kettle Gottsche (1907-2001) and spouse, A. Lynd Gottsche (1902-1974,) acquired the remains of Case-Russell house.  It had been gutted by fire in the past year.  They planned to salvage the fine lumber from the floors and other structural members and utilize them to construct their family home, Lynwood, at present day 915 Ocean Avenue.  The derelict Case-Russell structure was demolished and removed from Washington and Porter where it had proudly stood for fifty-three years.  The Cedar Oaks Apartments and the Mark Toups, CPA building lie here today.  The 1906 Jeremiah J. O'Keefe (1860-1911) home at present day 911 Porter used the architectural style of the Case-Russell house.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

May 1932

Pines Hotel

     This commercial hotel burned on May    1932.  It was situated on the southwest corner of Washington Avenue and Ocean.  A detailed history of this building can be found on this website in the section on Ocean Springs Hotels and Tourist Homes.

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

June 1927

1900 Public School

(northwest corner of Porter and Dewey)

 

This large wooden structure know familiarly as "the Big White School" was built by Frank De Bourg (1876-1954+) and completed in April 1900.  It was demolished in June 1927, by R.T. Vaughan for $485 in June 1927.  At the time, it was reputed to be the largest wood-frame building on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and built with fine materials.  The lumber salvaged from this edifice were utilized to erect a new school for the Black children of Ocean Springs..

 *******************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 1926

 

R.A. Van Cleave & Son

 

The R.A. VanCleave & Son, mercantile store, was located on the east side of Washington Avenue, between Robinson and Desoto.  It occupied a two-story building, just south of the Van Cleave Hotel .  Their slogan was "Best Quality and Honest Quantity".  The Robert A. VanCleave (1840-1908) home was adjacent to the store on the northeast corner of Desoto and Washington.  This mercantile store burned in October 1926.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 1922

 

Lyndhurst-Case Villa

545 Front Beach

[destroyed by fire on December 16, 1922 when owned by Charles Grady Parlin]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 1920

Commercial Hotel

Early in the morning of October 26, 1920, a fire was discovered in the Commercial Hotel.  This canvansary was erected in 1880 by R.A. VanCleave (1840-1908).  It was situated opposite the L&N Depot on the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Robinson.  The owner, H.F. Russell (1858-1940) stated that he would not rebuild an inn here. Commencing with the Ocean Springs Hotel in 1905, and the Shanahan House in 1919, the Commercial Hotel became the third Ocean Springs hotel to be lost to fire in these early years of the Twentieth Century.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 1919

 

The Shanahan House

(northeast corner of Washington and Calhoun)

 On December 24, 1919, the Shanahan met its demise in a roaring conflagration.  The structure served as a boarding house-hotel since its inception circa 1894.  It was the home of Irish immigrants, John Shanahan (1810-1892) and Maria Torney Shanahan (1826-1909).  Little Childrens' Park, a public playground, is here today.  In 1959, the land for this recreational space was donated by Katherine Crane Powers (1891-1961), the spouse of Neely Powers (1890-1983).

A detailed history of this building can be found on this website in the section on Ocean Springs Hotels and Tourist Homes.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

November 1916

 

Vahle House (circa 1903)

Courtesy of John Sterry Nill-Austin, Texas. 

Built in 1900 by the Vahle family from New Orleans, the Vahle House was located on the northwest corner of Washington Avenue and Calhoun.  A detailed history of this building can be found on this website in the section on Ocean Springs Hotels and Tourist Homes.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

November 1916

 

J.P. VanCleave Building

(located on the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Porter)

 

The "Big Fire" of November 1916 at Ocean Springs commenced in the J.P. Van Cleave Store building.  It had been vacant for a few months before the conflagration.  The rapidly moving, gale driven, blaze destroyed several cottages and the Vahle House on south Washington.  Only the valiant efforts of the Ocean Springs Fire Company No. 1, Hook and Ladder Company, and volunteers citizens saved other structure in the path of the fire.  Mr. VanCleave had leased the building to Charles Bickham Morrison (1868-1938) in 1914.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 1914

 

                                                                                                                703 Porter [2nd image courtesy of Malcolm F. 'Bud' Hodges and Lee Wynne Hodges]

 

In 1894, A,J. Catchot (1864-1954) announced that he would build his home on Porter.  On December 18, 1914, the A.J. Catchot place at present day 703 Porter burned to the ground. Elizabeth Clark Nolan (1839-1914), A.J. Catchot's mother-in-law, was killed in the conflagration.  The inferno was sourced from an exploding oil heater in her room.  The Catchot home was rebuilt in January 1915, and is owned today by John and Sherry Kendall.(The Pascagoula-Democrat-Star, July 13, 1894, p. 3 and Ocean Springs News, December 24, 1914, p. 1) 

      

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

August 1905

 

circa 1870 Illing House

(northeast corner of Washington and Porter)

courtesy of Adrienne Illing Finnie (1925-2002)    

 The Illing House was erected shortly after the railroad from Mobile to New Orleans was completed in 1870.  Its owners were Ferdinand W. Illing (1838-1884) and Rosalie Eglin Illing (1844-1894).  They were from Germany and Alsace immigrants respectively.  The Illing House was torn down in August 1905 and three Queen Anne cottages were built east of it fronting on Porter.  By 1910, and open air theater was on the corner where the large inn had once existed.  In 1915, E.W. Illing Jr. (1870-1947)erected Illing's Theatre, which was refurbished or rebuilt in 1927.  This theater was demolished between 1958 and 1968 by the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs.  

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 1900

Nill Drugstore (image circa 1899)

 

The Nill Drugstore was situated on the northwest corner of Washington Avenue and Porter.  It was owned and operated byHerman John Nill (1863-1904), a native of New Orleans.  The Nill Drugstore came to a dramatic end in a roaring conflagration in the early days of December 1900.  The Pascagoula Democrat-Star of December 7, 1900 reported its demise in "Ocean Springs Locals" as follows:The most distressing scene witnessed in our town for a long time was the burning of the Ocean Springs Drug Store and Vahle's Livery Stable Monday night.  The fire was discovered about midnight by Walter Davis the night operator for the Cumberland Telephone Exchange, which was on the second floor of the drug building. 

1950 - 1999

 

November 1999

 

502 Porter

     This small commercial building was removed from the streetscape in November 1999.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

April 1999

 

 

2407 School Street

[situated on the northeast corner of Holcomb and School Street.  it was demolished in April 1999 because it was used by vagrants and alleged to be a 'crack house'.  Once owned by Early Johnson.

see: The Mississippi Press, "Dilapidated Springs house to be razed", April 7, 1999, p. 1A].

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 1998

Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church

1702 Weed

(upper image, August 1997; lower image March 2001)

     The Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church removed their sanctuary preserving a portion of the rear of the building in September 1998.  A new sanctuary was erected commencing in December 1998, by Fletcher Construction Company.  Carl Germany was the architect for the new sanctuary, which was dedicated in August 1999. 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

04 Porter

          When David Cole and E. Stephen "Jake" Jacobs refurbished and made additions to the 1894 E.E. Clement house at 604 Porter, they removed the Wilbur Motel-Caper's Apartments.  Wilbur C. Wisnasky (1909-1990) erected these concrete block building in the early 1950s and called them Wilbur's Motel with the advertising theme of : "Come For A Season or Come For A Day". Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of THE PORTER HOUSE, a successful dining establishment with a southwestern flair.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Winter 1998

824 Ward (top, image made 1994) and 832 Ward (bottom, image made September 1997)

     Alfred "Fred" Russell Moran Jr. had these rental homes in the Black community demolished in the winter of 1998 to build the new Ocean Springs Lumber Company building materials storage building at  1611 Government Street, which was erected in March-May 1998.  824 Ward was the home of Freddy Weldy (1925-2000), head of the Ocean Springs Water Department.  The Weldy cottage was probably once a part of the "turpentine camp" of Hiram F. Russell (1858-1940), Fred Moran's great grandfather, that house workers for the Gay-Hamill Turpentine Company twenty-five barrel turpentine still, which was situated near here.  832 Ward was occupied by Ester Mae Clayton before her eviction.

 

1611 Government

(image made April 1998)

     This building materials warehouse was built by the Ocean Springs Lumber Company of Alfred "Fred" R. Moran Jr. in the spring of 1998, when the lumber company moved from Bowen Avenue to Government Street.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

January 1998

 

 

1209 Porter (image made August 2005)

Home of Curtis Lloyd.

1209 Porter

(image made, July 1997)

     Curtis Lloyd removed this home and built a new one here in April 1998.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

demolished between 1998 and 2006

913 State Street

[Garden Inn Lounge L-R: image made November 1997 and September 2006 by Ray L. Bellande]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 1996

1920 Wieder-Engbarth Garage

1025 Government Street

(upper image made, March 1993; lower image made September 1996)

     The Wieder-Engbarth Garage was erected in 1920 by Philip J. Wieder (1887-1995) and Claude M. Engbarth (1893-1967).  The building was used for many years by the Robert Mohler family as Tidy Car, an automobile detailing service.

Jerry Pelham acquired the property from the Ocean Springs Lumber Company, an A.P. Moran family enterprise, in February 1996.  It was destroyed in September 1996, except for the porto cochere.  Immediately, Mr. Pelham built a replica of the old structure with Danny Jalanivich as contractor.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 1996

1925 American Legion-Jaycee Hut-Iberville Drive

(first image made September 1992; second image made September 1996)

     This building was demolished on September 17, 1996.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1994

1217 Washington Avenue

Building located south of Aunt Jenny's Catfish House, formerly Dr. Powell's Bayou Inn.

[image made by Ray L. Bellande in January 1993]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

March 1994

 

740 Bienville

     This commercial building was demolished on March 10, 1994.  It was situated on the NW/C of Cox Avenue and Bienville.  A Sonic Drive-In was erected here in the fall of 1997.

 

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 1993

516 Dewey Avenue

(image made October 1993)

     This small cottage was destroyed in October 1993, by the City of Ocean Springs to construct a parking lot for the Ocean Springs Public Library.  In 1991 and 1992, the building functioned as the headquarters for the Ocean Springs Centennial Commission chaired by Steve Robinson, Alderman-at-Large.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

August 1991

 

 

1545 Bienville Boulevard

[L-R: images made August 1991 and November 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

     Built in the early 1960s, by H.E. Lott for C.E. 'Chuck' Hussey (1918-1995) of Ocean Springs as 'Tony's Spaghetti House' in the Springs Plaza Shopping Center.  This location later became a popular "local watering hole" known as The Village Inn and Dixie Diner, which was demolished in the summer of 1991.  A new building was erected to house the KnightTime Video Store.  Night Gallery, another video store, replaced it and is operating here in 2007.

 

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1973

Sinclair-Faessell House

 

The former Duncan Sinclair Estate home is the present site of the Gulf Oaks Condominiums on Front Beach Drive, which were erected in 1973 by Charles Moschella and Palmer R. Lake Development.  Duncan Sinclair (1868-1902) and Frank Faesell (1870-1953) were long time owners of this structure.  Mr. Moschella acquired the property from William Van White in October 1972.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1970-1971

Mary Cahill O'Keefe Home

West Porter

(one-half block west of Washington Avenue on north side of West Porter)

     This Queen Anne Cottage was owned by Ocean Springs School Superintendent, Miss Mary C. O'Keefe (1893-1980).  It was probably built by the Herman Nill family of New Orleans in the late 19th Century.  Miss O'Keefe and her brothers acquired it from Daniel Dick (1900-1971) in August 1925 for $1200.  She acquired it from them in July 1930.  Miss O’Keefe sconveyed her Porter Street cottage to the Catholic Charities Housing Association in February 1970.  It was removed when The Villa Maria was erected mid-town between April 1970 and September 1971.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

1969

McEvoy-Usner House

    Possibly built by Silas Weeks (1823-1901), the Martin McEvoy (1833-1924) family of NOLA acquired this East Beach vacation home in in 1902 from his heirs.  The McEvoys sold it to the Margaret Schmaltz Usner (1848-1929), the wife of Jacob Usner (1841-1926), also domiciled in the Crescent City, in March 1915.  It was destroyed by Hurricane Camille in August 1969.  Betty Usner Armand (1909-1999) lived on a small tract here until her demise.  Martin and Lisa Courtney Wagoner own most of the western part of the Jacob Usner tract as of 2011.[image circa 1905 by Roy Bland (1878-1970) and courtesy of H.R. 'Randy' Randazzo-January 2011]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1969

Catholic Convent

Front Beach, just east of Jackson Avenue

[damaged by Hurricane Camille in August 1969.  later demolished.  image from The Ocean Springs Record, August 1969, p.  )]

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1968

 

 1909 Eglin House

West side of Washington Avenue between Bowen and Government Street

(image made circa 1935)

     The Eglin House was erected in 1909 by Amelia Krohn Eglin (1855-1916), the widow of Albert M. Eglin (1852-1891).

Annie O. Eglin (1881-1963) acquired it from her siblings in June 1917.  It served as an apartment house and "tourist home" until it was severely damaged by fire and water in September 1964.  It was removed from the streetscape by Clarence Galle (1912-1986) in January 1968.  TIn 1970-1971, the Catholic Charities Housing Association built the Villa Maria retirement home on a portion of the former Eglin House lot.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1968

 

Illing Cottages

(one-half block east of Washington Avenue on north side of East Porter)

     The Queen Anne Cottages were erected by E.W. Illing (1870-1947) after the 1905 demolition of the Illing House, a large inn on the northeast corner of Washington and Porter.  They were moved or demolished in1968, when the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs acquired the Illing property and also removed the Illing's Theatre.  Note the 1909 sanctuary on Porter and Bellande.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1967

VanCleave Brothers Store (circa 1908)

     W.S. VanCleave (1871-1938) and Junius P. VanCleave (1879-1945+), the sons of Robert A. VanCleave (1842-1908) and Elizabeth R. Sheppard (1842-1912), founded this mercantile business in 1904.  This building was erected in 1906, by Burk and Shaw on the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Porter.  Gordon R. VanCleave (1906-1964), the son of W.S. VanCleave, ran the store for many years.  It was demolished on July 22, 1967.  Five Seasons, a health food, vitamin and holistic medicine center is situated here today.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1967

 

F.E. Schmidt Building

      The Frank E. Schmidt Building was erected circa 1910 on the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Desoto as a livery stable for Frank Joachim.  It was demolished circa 1967 to erect the First National Bank of Ocean Springs, which  opened for business on November 25, 1968.  The $104,500 building was erected by J.O. Collins from a Claude Lindsley design.  Hancock Bank occupies this edifice today.

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1958-1968?

 

     1927 Illing's Theatre

     (northeast corner of Washington and Porter)

The First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs erected a new sanctuary here in 1968-1969.  It was dedicated on May 11, 1969.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 1957

1886 Davis Brothers Store

Washington Avenue

For over seventy years, this 1886 structure stood as a landmark on the streetscape of the central business district of Ocean Springs.  It was situated on the west side of Washington Avenue between Bowen and Government Street.  The former Davis Brothers mercantile store building was demolished in late 1957 by Clarence E. Galle (1912-1986) for the salvage of its valuable, heart pine, lumber.

2000 - 2016

 

2016

November

504 Dewey Avenue

John H. Seymour and Lydia Beaugez Seymour House

  pre- 1950s                                         November 2016

 

 

November 21, 2016                                       November 22, 2016

 

January 21, 2017

____________________________________________

BP Station 

1501 Bienville Boulevard

[L-R: images made May 2011 and November 1997]

 

[L-R: Images made October 3, 2016 and November 7, 2016

___________________________________________________

September-October

508 Martin Avenue

July 1997

October 2016                                               December 10, 2016                                             January 3, 2017

 

Elisha 'Joe" Miller house

 

__________________________________________________________

September

207 Dewey Avenue

207 Dewey Avenue

[images made August 1997 and September 7, 2016]

 

[L-R: images made October 1, 2016; October 1, 2016; and October 29, 2016]

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________

Wal-Mart

North Washington Avenue

June 20, 2016

Built by White-Spunner [Mobile, Alabama]

________________________________________________________________________

408 Pine Hills Drive

June 2016                                                             January 15, 2017

______________________________________________________________________

400 Jackson Avenue

 

June 2, 2016                                                                    June 20, 2016                                                                        June 29, 2016

 

    July 7, 2016                                        July 20, 2016                          January 15, 2017

 

 

 

Lloyd and Moza Hebert spec house

______________________________________________________

May 

525 Porter

Clark-Burns House

Built by Colonel Newcomb Clark in 1904

 

Newcomb Clark

Newcomb Clark (1836-1913) was a native of Sullivan County, New York.  At an early age, his family moved to Oakland County in southeastern Michigan.  In 1857, Clark taught school at Port Gibson, Mississippi.  When the Civil War commenced, he returned to Michigan where he enlisted in the 14th Michigan Infantry. 

 

In May 1863, Newcomb Clark resigned from the Union Army to care for his ill mother.  By this time, he had achieved the rank of First Lieutenant.  Clark returned to the military in late 1864, to command the 102nd U.S.C.T., the only African-American unit from Michigan.  With the cessation of hostilities in the Spring of 1865, Clark had attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.  After the Civil War, Newcomb Clark located to West Bay City, Michigan.  Here he married Ellen Chambers (1843-1915), a native of Atherton Settlement, Michigan.  Clark was very active in civic affairs at West Bay City.  He officiated as president (mayor), tax assessor, recorder, and postmaster here.  In 1883, Newcomb Clark won a seat in the Michigan State Legislature running as a Republican.  During his four-year term, he was selected as Speaker of the House.

 

In 1888, the Clarks moved to Ocean Springs.  It is believed they came South to escape the harsh winters of Michigan, and for Newcomb to speculate in real estate.  At Ocean Springs, Colonel Clark was very active in real estate.  He owned land at present day East Beach, the Fort Bayou area, and scattered tracts throughout town.    In the early 1890s, the Clarks sold large estate tracts from the James Fitch Bradford patent (Lots 2-3, Section 32, T7S-R8W), on East Beach to two Chicagoans, lumberman, James Charnley, and Albert Sullivan, General Superintendent of the Illinois Central Railroad.  Renown architect, Louis Henri Sullivan (1856-1924), with the assistance of his apprentice, Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959), designed and built summer cottages for himself and Charnley here.  Sullivan’s Cottage was destroyed by Hurricane Karina of August 2005.

 

The Clark-Reinike House on Porter Avenue was built in 1904.  The Progress, the local journal, announced on May 14, 1904, "Newcomb Clark is clearing a lot on Porter and preparing to erect a cottage".  The Clarks were residing at "Poplar Glen" in 1894 and "The Poplars" in 1898. 

 

At present day 525 Porter, Colonel Clark built a Queen Anne-Stick Style two-story, wood frame residence with a gable roof.  The front eave featured imbricated shingles.  Through the years renovations have enclosed the side porch with glass, added vinyl siding, and altered the front entrance.

 

The Pascagoula-Democrat Star reported in October 1906, "Ocean Springs will lead this winter in automobiling.  Mr. Fred Benjamin and Colonel Newcomb Clark have purchased autos which are in transit to our town".  In April of the same year, that very journal stated "Dr. H.B. Powell is quite to the force in his possession and use of the first auto.  He is a very considerate chauffeur and no accidents have yet occurred".  Orey A. Young, Jr. (1892-1986) contended that his father, Orey A. Young (1868-1938), owned the first automobile at Ocean Springs.  It was a 1905 Oldsmobile.  The garage where Colonel Clark stored his "Reo" is still extant.  It now serves as a cottage at the rear of the Reinike House.

 

In September 1911, Newcomb Clark suffered a paralytic stroke while on his summer vacation at Chicago.  The malady left him practically helpless and confined to his bed at the Warner Hotel.  Mrs. Clark was with her husband and accompanied him back to Ocean Springs.(The Ocean Springs News, September 30, 1911)

 

Colonel Newcomb Clark passed on to his heavenly reward at Ocean Springs in September 1913.  Ellen Clark followed her husband in death departing this world in April 1915.  She legated the house to William Engbarth, a neighbor, who had cared for the childless Clarks in their old age.(Jackson County, Ms. Chancery Court Will Book 2, pp. 253-254)

 

 

 

 

525 Porter

January 3, 2017

 

Michael Burns-Contractor Village by Randy Hagan

Permitted May 2016

___________________________________________

May

604 Porter

 

 

Clements-Porter House

January 3, 2017

Joseph and Ted Condrey

___________________________________________________

520 Dewey Avenue

former structure demolished December 2012

 

west elevation-April 12, 2016.  James Ealy and crew erecting the foundation.  June 12, 2016 awaiting roof.

 

Brad and Terry Ginn Lemon House

[erected from April 2016 to November 2016]

 

_____________________________________________________________________

Magnolia Street Park

Magnolia Street Park

[image made February 8, 2016]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2016

303 Dewey Avenue

Garlon Homes

                                                                                                            January 7, 2016                        January 26, 2016              February 8, 2016               March 8, 2016

 

March 25, 2016                                          July 10, 2016

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

December 2015

 

YMCA 

1810 Government Street

[L-R: images September 1997 and made December 7, 2015]

Bruce Tolar, AIA, designed sheleter for local bus patrons.

 

________________________________________________________________

November 2015

111 Clark Lane-"Marseille"

111 Clark Lane

[L-R: images made November 11, 2015; December 7, 2015; December 11, 2015; February 9, 2016]

 

 

March 22,  2016 and April 12, 2016

  

May 15, 2016 and December 15, 2016

 

 

                                   

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

                                                                                                                      November 2015                                                                                                                          

 512 Dewey Avenue

 

512 Dewey [pre-demolition 2012]

512 Dewey

[L-R: November 3, 2015; December 21, 2015; January 12, 2016; February 7, 2016; and August 17, 2016]

                                               Lane House by Lane Construction and was completed in August 2016.

________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2015

Mosaic Church

Craig Smith, contractor

[L-R: first two images made in November 2015;

Located in the Bienville Square shopping center on Bienville Boulevard [US Highway 90].  Luckey & Guice building to Mosaic Church in 2015.

Completed December 2016

 

______________________________________________________________________________

October 2015

 

1604 Kensington Drive

Jeff Williams, contractor

[L-R: October 30. 2015; December 1, 2015; December 21, 2015; January 12, 2016; February 8, 2016; and July 21, 2016]

_____________________________________________________________________

October 2015

          October 2015                                                                        completed June 2016

101 Spanish Point

[spec house built by Tim Smith for 

__________________________________________________________________________

September 2015

1101 Government Street

                                                                                                                                            March 1993                                                      May 2011  

Earl Keys and Myrtle Keys Home and clothes cleaning and alterations shop-demolished September 2015

 

replaced by

Matthew Stebly-Twisted Anchor Tatoo Parlor and Art Gallery

   September 2015                                                October 15, 2015               

                                                                                               November 2015                                                       December 2015                                              February 1, 2016

   

 

March 20, 2016

1101 Government Street

John Austin Maugh, contractor

____________________________________________________

 

Lewis House addition-Ruskin Avenue

August 2015

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                                                                                         June 2015                                                                                       October 2015                                                    

 

February 2016

Polk Drug Store-North Washington Avenue

_________________________________________________

June 2015

1112 LaFontaine

Dr. Waddell's  House before demolition in 2014.

1112 LaFontaine

[L-R: images made June 13, 2015, July 14, 2015, August 24, 2015, October 10, 2015; December 3, 2015; completed January 2016]

 

March 20, 2016

Dan Resch, contractor

_________________________________________

June 2015

[L-R: June 2015; January 7, 2016; January 26, 2016]

 

March 20, 2016                                                                                                                                                                                                   August 21, 2016

 

 

100 Washington Avenue - "Stonehenge"

Frank Jenkins-Brandon, Mississippi owner

Charles Weems, contractor

________________________________________________

June 2015

"Hoddy Toddy House"

423 Dewey Avenue

[L-R: June 6, 2015; June 28, 2015; July 14, 2015; September 5, 2015; October 20, 2015]

 

423 Dewey Avenue

[January 7, 2016]

________________________________________________

April 2014

Trehern House

Front Beach Drive

Craig Smith, contractor;

[L-R: May 2015 [south elev.]; June 13, 2015 [north elev.]; July 4, 2015; September 5, 2015 [south elev.]; December 7, 2015 [south elevation]; December 7, 2015 [north elevation]; 

 

_______________________________________________

February 2015

 

February 17, 2015                                        March 12, 2015                                       June 2015                                                     October 31, 2015                                                     January 12, 2016

Charter Bank

Bienville Boulevard

_________________________________

January 2015

Riemann Family Funeral Home-13872 LeMoyne Boulevard

[constructed in 2014-2015-image made January 2015; opened February 2015]

______________________________________________

2014

December 2014

237 Front Beach-Cole House

                                                                                  December 2014                        February  2015

              March 23, 2015                                  May 16, 2015                                                 July 4, 2015

 

237 Front Beach

Former site of homes of John Cook and Vera Wulff Cook and DeVeaux "D.D."  Baxter Munro.

 

 

 

 

December 2014

Raising Cane's

February 17, 2015                      March 14, 2015              March 14, 2015

March 31, 2015

Fox Texaco-US 90

Demolition took place December 2, 2014 to build a Raising Cane's.

[Bienville Boulevard and Ocean Springs Road-[L-R: October 2014 and December 2, 2014]

_______________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

 

306 Dewey Avenue

Refurbishing to ameliorate termite and rot damage.  [images made November 17, 2014 and June 1, 2015]

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

 

Dollar General

Government Street

[December 2014 and February 2015]

___________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

Bryant and Johnnie Bernhardt- New Construction-524 Jackson Avenue-Built by Randy Hagan and completed as a rental house on June 1, 2015.

[Former home of Elmyra Mitchell Ross which demolished by neglect and had to be removed. Images made August 1993 and September 1, 2009]

[images L-R:  made November 13, 2014; December 20, 2014; and July 4, 2015]

________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2014

Mitchell House

255 Lover's Lane

image made October 10, 2015

Permitted October 2014-Craig Smith, contractor.

_____________________________________________________________________

October 2014

YMCA

1820 Government Street [Fire damaged structure removed in the fall of 2014. L-R: 1993 and south elevation-July 2014]

___________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

Remodeling

Catchot-Lemon Building 

806 Washington Avenue

[L-R: September 1993; September 24, 2014 and November 2015]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

New Construction

Descher House-Fort Avenue

[L-R: first two images west elevation-September 24, 2014; 2nd two made October 15, 2015]

______________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

Replacing Front Beach walkway that caved in-Image made September 10, 2014

_______________________________________________________________

710 Magnolia

[image made March 2010]

 

September 2014                                                      Thanksgiving Day 2014

710 Magnolia Street

[Webb place]

____________________________________________________

                            November 2013 [east elevation]                    August 21, 2014 [L-R: west elevation and east elevation]

Government Street

Richey House replaced Del Castle demolished by Bruce Legate in March 2007.  Construction started in the summer of 2013 with masonry perimeter wall.

____________________________________________________________________

YMCA new construction

[all images made July 28, 2014]

 

South Elevation                              North Elevation                                    Interior

[all images made December 9, 2014]

March 2015

________________________________________________________

1820 Government Street

YMCA Fire-July 23, 2014

_________________________________________________________________

LaFontaine Demolition-2014

       1112 LaFontaine-Dr. Waddell House

_____________________________________________________              

                                                              

418 Martin Avenue

[July 1997]

[demolition proposed in June 2014]

______________________________________________________

                          April 1998                                        May 2014                                                          September 2014

1516 Government Street

[Facade change in the spring and summer of 2014]

_________________________________________________________

Demolition and New Construction

  March 1993                                                             March 2014

 

August 21, 2014

Randy Hagan-contractor

1102 Bowen Avenue

[The shell of the original structure which can be seen in the March 2014 image was later removed totally removing all of the original section of this building]

___________________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

7 Mulberry Place

[L-R: ? 2014 and September 2014.  Home of Ken and Debra Ritchey]

________________________________________________________________________________________

521 Ward Avenue

[Mark and Susan Jone Sutera home was erected in 2013 and completed in the spring of 2014.  This had been a vacant lot since I moved here in 1990]

____________________________________________

New Construction

305 Front Beach Drive

                                  October 2013                                    November 2013                              December 2013

                              January 2014                  April 2014                                                    July 2014

                                                        December 2014                                                    March 2015

Michael Illanne House

Edwards House-circa 1940s

___________________________________________________________

New Construction

March 12, 2014                                    September 2014

Ruskin Avenue

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November-December  2013

November 2013

 

December 7, 2013

Ocean Springs Inner Harbor

Boat Shed and Harbor Landing Restaurant both demolished in November 2013 by Department of Marine Resources after purchase from David Harris Sr.  The area will become a green space.[ L-R: Boad Shed made November 20, 2013 and Harbor Landing made November 24, 2013 by Ray L. Bellande]

_______________________________________________________

March 7, 2013

 

John R. Blossman House

207 Shearwater Drive

[images made March 4 and March 7, 2013]

_____________________________________________________________________

February 2013

 

1823 Bienville Boulevard

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2012

520 Dewey Avenue 

Parrish House

[L-R: west elevation and north elevation]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012

 

                                                                                                                       June 2014

1110 Government Street

[July 26, 2012]

Demolished in August 2012.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012 

 

Sundown Motel

2708 Bienville Boulevard  [July 26, 2012]

Demolished August 2012.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012

512 Dewey Avenue

Seymour House

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

May 2012

 

 

514 Magnolia

[images made November 1997, July 26, 2012, April 2013]

May 2012

Dewey Avenue

[image made January 2, 2014]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

801 M.L. King Jr.

[This house moved to new location in January 2012.  L-R: image made January 2000 and January 19, 2012]

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

                 January 19, 2012                                             March 2012

1019 Government Street

[L-R: Wieder Garage-March 1993 and  New Building January 2012]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

1203 Government

[Worked commenced in August 2011 by Randy Bosarge on the Simnicht Building for Dr. Randy Buntyn, DDS.  Completed January 2012. L-R: image made March 1993  and September 2011]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

626 Washington Avenue

[demolished early January 2012]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2011

628 1/2 Washinigton Avenue

[demolished im mid-December 2011]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2011

628 Washington Avenue

[demolished mid-December 2011]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2011

2426 Government Street

[demolished in 2011]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 31, 2011

 

900 State Street

[image made April 17, 2011 by Ray L. Bellande]

[demolished in 2011]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2011

1715 Government Street

[image made October 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

______________________________________________________________________________________________

JULY-AUGUST 2011

 

Katrina Cottage and foundation

[images made August 27, 2011 and July 2012]

1011 Desoto

       [image made March 2000]                                                                                 [image made March 2011]

In July-August 2011, Fred Moran, owner of this rental rearranged the decking and side porch of this structure.  He also placed two Katrina Cottages in the rear of this building in late August-early September 2011.  Dan Resch was the contractor.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2011

 

 

1303 Porter

[image made January 1998 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

1303 Porter

[image made January 2011]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2010

 

801 Iberville

[image made November 1996-by Ray L. Bellande]

 

801 Iberville

[demolition image made December 20, 2010-construction image made July 26, 2012 by Ray L. Bellande]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

July and October 2010

 

                             805 M.L. King Jr.               809 M.L. King Jr.

                  [Bellande image made October 1996]   [Bellande image made December 2002]                                       

       807 M.L. King Jr. was heavily damaged by fire in the fall of 2007.  An attempt to rebuild it was never completed and after demolishing by neglect, it was torn down in July 2010.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

August  2010

 

 

Demolition of Fallo's Dry Cleaners

1409 Government Street

[image made August 23, 2010 by Ray L. Bellande]

         The Fallo Brothers Cleaners was demolished on August 23, 2010 by the City of Ocean Springs which acquired the property and plan to establish a parking lot here in the near future.   

 

Fallo's Dry Cleaners-built in 1956

1409 Government Street

[image made July 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

         The new building, dry cleaning, and laundry shop of the Fallo Brothers opened on Government Street on September 4, 1956.  Joseph Fallo and John Fallo utilized the “Hoffman Jet”, a modern dry cleaning unit.(The Gulf Coast Times, September 6, 1956, p. 1)   

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2010

 

 

New Wm. Pontius home on General Pershing 

[located 100-200 feet northeast of demolished house and erected in 2011.  This image made December 17, 2011 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

William Pontius Home-August 16, 2010

[image by Ray L. Bellande]

 

William Pontius House-'Latitude' with an attitude

1320 Hellmer's Lane

[image made August 11, 2010 by Ray L. Bellande.  This home was erected in 1994-1995 by Mr. Schely of Gulfport for William Pontius, MD.  It was damaged by Katrina 2005 and refurbished, but mold and severe rot were discovered in 2010 and the decision was made to demolished rather than do extensive and expensive repairs.]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 2010

 

MASTER GRILL

[Demolished May 4, 2010 to build new bank building.  Image made September 1998 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

 

MASTER GRILL DEMOLITION-MAY 2010

[image by and courtesy of  Frank Stumbo]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

April 2010

709 Church Street [west elevation]

[F.L. Westbrook House-owned by Roger Applewhite at time of demolition.]

 

709 CHURCH STREET

[Demolished April 12, 2010.  Image by Ray L. Bellande]

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2009

810 Handy

[owned by Margaret Graves]

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2009

 

 

 

  

1116 Hellmers Lane

 

 

 

  

1117 Hellmers Lane

 

 

 

 

1119 Hellmers Lane

[demolished by Chester Allred]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 2009

 

 

    

Portal oak tree removed on Washington and US 90

[This arbor gate had died following Katrina and was taken down on September 3, 2009.  see also The Sun Herald, September 4, 2009, p. A2)]

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2009

 

    

 

 

524 Jackson Avenue

[Demolished on September 1, 2009.  Home of Elmyra Mitchell Ross.  Images made August 2009 and September 1, 2009]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

2009

 

 

309 Lovers Lane

Old storage shed on the Poitevent-Mavar property.  Demolished in summer 2009.  Cottage constructed upon foot print of storage shed in August-October 2009.

[Images made May 2006 and September 2009 and January 2012]

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

  

 

512 Williams

[L-R: image made February 2001 and October 2009.  Home of Mrs. Allen Young]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

2006 Government Street

[demolition started October 28, 2008.  L-R: black and white images made September 1997; color image made May 2008; demolition images made October 29, 2008 and November 20, 2008]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

 

623 Jackson Avenue

[L-R: Edward P. Guice II home demolished October 2008; new construction started October 29, 2008;     ]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

 

1108 Ames

[image made mid-October 2008. demolished late October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

1112 Ames

[image made mid-October 2008. demolished late October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

1109 Bienville

[image made mid-October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

610 Bellande

[Owned by 1st Baptist Church of Ocean Springs.  Reverend Paul D. Aultman (1930-1993) and spouse were last to reside here. Demolished in late October 2008.]

[image made July 21, 2008 and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

614 Magnolia

[image made July 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  demolished October 2008]

 

 

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008 and 2010

 

 

 

611 Ward

[New home completed here in August 2010.  Image made August 2010 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

 

 

 

611 Ward

[image made July 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  demolished in August or September 2008]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2008

 

 

810 Iberville

[outbuilding on Bobby Davidson Smith lot demolished by Allred in mid-August 2008]

[image made November 1994 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

July-August 2008

 

 

 

 

Young-Moran Building

630 Washington Avenue

[L-R: image made February 1993 and September 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  Building refurbished by A. R. 'Fred' Moran with Henry Furr AIA]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

June 1, 2008

 

 

 

 

Cochran-Letoha House

900 Robinson

Alleged to have 'fallen over' by owners Doug and Pamela Stuck Letoha on June 1, 2008.  This historic home was damaged during Hurricane Katrina and was demolishing by neglect before the 'act of God' finished it.

[L-R: first image made February 2000; images 2-3 made June 2, 2008; images 4-5 made September 3, 2008 when Lamey Brother's cleaned the lot.]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

 

922 Porter

Dr. Cecil Guyton's Dental Arts Building

[Demolished on March 18, 2008.  Images made February 1993; March 15, 2008; March 18, 2008; April 2008; and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

407 Ruskin

[Harry E. Lee and Virginia Thompson Lee Home demolished August 2008 and new construction in November 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

918 Porter

[scheduled for moving in March 2008 to City Hall parking lot on East Porter Street]

[images made February 1993; March 2008; and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

1811 Kensington

[demolished on March 8, 2008]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

2505 Bienville

[to be relocated in February 2008]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

310 Holcomb

[L-R: entrance from Holcomb; south elevation; and north elevation-all images made January 21, 2008, except the workshop, made in December 2007]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

 

797 Iberville

[Former home of Mayor John C. 'Champ' Gay and Jennie Heiss Gay.  Demolished 2007.  New home under construction by George Sliman in December 2007.  L-R: image made November 1994 by Ray L.Bellande]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

 

 

 

7 Gulfview

[Home of Mara Lou Guice Galle Hutto-damaged by Katrina and demolished on December 3, 2007.  Images made by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

 

203 Front Beach

[damaged by Katrina in August 2005 and later demolished.  rebuilding commenced in summer of 2006 by William Lucas, PhD and Karen Lucas. L-R: images made July 1993; September 2005;  March 2007 and December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

422 Cleveland

[demolished in October 2007 and rebuilding commenced in November 2007.  Image made September 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

803 Bienville

[L-R: Formerly a Hardee's fast food restaurant.  Closed in 2001, when US Highway 90 was widened.  Refurbished fall of 2007 for Japanese restaurant.  Images made November 1994; January 2002, and November 11, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

2501 Bienville

 

2503 Bienville

 

 

2505 Bienville

 

 

Outbuildings

 

 

[Scheduled for demolition.  Gulf Coast Investment Developers plan to demolish the Dr. Carl S. Lindstrom (1873-1951) home and outbuildings at his former plantation called, Carlana Acres.  The developers plan to build a mixed use community called 'Bay Village'.[images made November 11, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

232 Lovers Lane

[destroyed by Katrina in August 2005.  rebuilding commenced in October 2007.L-R: images made September 1997 and December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

3601 Knapp Road

[scheduled for demolition.  Image made October 3, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

  

 

3535 Bienville and 3537 Bienville

These buildings were removed in late October 2007 to erect a medical imaging center.  Images by Ray L. Bellande in October 2007.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

1008 Legion Lane

[scheduled for demolition.   Image made September 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2007

 

 

422 Martin Avenue

The Attaya home floated off piers during Katrina.  Restoration began October 2007, by Kosciusko House Movers.

[L-R: October 2001; September 2005; and October 2007]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

1996-October 2007

 

 

 

 

248 Lovers Lane

Original home built by Nicholas Gordon on Seapointe in 1996.  Destroyed by Katrina in August 2005 and rebuilt in 2007.

[L-R: September 1997; September 2005; March 2007; and October 2007]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

October-November 2007

820? Martin Luther King

This home partially burned in 2007 and was rebuilt from the original structure.

[L-R: images made December 2002 and October 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 2007

 

1001 Bowen

Former Ocean Springs Lumber Company storage building and cleared lot.

[Images made October 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 2007

 

626 1/2 Washington Avenue

This was a Moran Realty rental property which was demolished in October 2007.

[Image made July 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

************************************************************************************************************************************

July-October 2007

 

 

 

936 Porter

Building built by Dr. Clifton L. Beckman (1933-1984) as his dental clinic in 1967. Addition to north elevation by Mark Toups & John Marshall, CPAs, in July 1997.  In the late summer and fall of 2007, Fred Moran had a hip roof built over the flat roof and completely reconfigured the exterior and interior of the structure.  'Denim Blues', a clothing store, was the first business to occupy the 2007 refurbished building.(The Ocean Springs Record, April 27, 1967, p. 7)

[all images by Ray L. Bellande, L-R: February 1993; February 1993;July 2007; October 2007; and October 2007]

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

1962 Ocean Springs-Biloxi Bridge

Damaged by Hurricane Katrina, this span was removed in sections between 2006 and 2007

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 18, 2007

 

520 Ward Avenue

Cleared lot for sale in October 2007 for $137,000

[image made February 2002 by Ray L. Bellande]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 6, 2007

 

 

 

1805 Kensington

[L-R: images made November 2006, September 2007, and June 15, 2009 by Ray L. Bellande]

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

July? 2007

 

 

 

334 Lovers Lane

Home of Julia Weaver, Alderman-at-Large.  Damaged by Katrina and rebuilt commencing in August 2007.

[images made December 1997 and October 2007]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

July 2007

 

603 Halstead Road

         Former domicile of Earl Taylor and family.  Site of the Gulf Kist Poultry Farm and a large pecan orchard.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

June 2007

 

 

619 East Beach

[image made September 2005 and ]

          Old home of D.W. Halstead or E.W. Halstead was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005 and floated off its piers.  Judge D. Neal Harris, owner, had it moved back to its original position and stabilized.  In late June 2007, Judge Harris made a decision to demolish.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2007

 

 

1019 Government Street

(L-R: P.J. Wieder Pan Am service garage-circa 1937; March 1993; and January 2007

 

          Art deco service station erected by Peter J. Wieder (1887-1985) in 1926. Wieder sold to Josey & Scharr in 1949.  Demolition began in June 2006 by Jeff Sauls and completed by A.R. 'Fred' Moran in June 2007.

 

NEW CONSTRUCTION  [December 2011]

1019 Government Street [December 11, 2011]

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

March 2007

Del Castle

Government Street [Old Spanish Trail]

Demolished March 27, 2007 by Bruce Legate

************************************************************************************************************************************

February 2007

 

 

200 Dewey Avenue

Demolished February 19, 2007 by Dr. Joel Knight.  New construction started in October 2007.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 2006

809 General Pershing

          This home was demolished in late December 2006.  New home commenced in January 2007 and completed in May 2007.  Built by Katrina volunteers from Camp Victor across the street on Government and operated by Christus Victor Lutheran Church.  Note the cross in the front gable.

________________________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

October 2006

 

No. 1 Mulberry Place

[L-R: October 2006 and March 2007-2nd house completed in Subdivision]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2006

First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs [northeast corner of Porter and Bellande]

                                                           [l-r: Baptist church 1993; Demolition of 1909 sanctuary on July 11, 2006 to make a parking lot for its congregation.

_____________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

Spring 2006

 

No. 2 Mulberry Place

[L-R: June 2006 and March 2007. This home was built for Matt McDonnel who took occupany in March 2007. The windows and flooring were salvaged from Shadowlawn, the Hansen-Dickey House on Shearwater Drive. Shadowlawn was demolised following Hurricane Katrina.

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

Spring 2006

 

 

309 LaSalle Court

Home of Dr. Don LaGrone and Antoinette Duchene LaGrone on Old Fort Bayou-Lovers Lane area

 

[L-R-image made May 2001 and image made September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande

 

________________________________________________________________________________

Spring 2006

 

431 East Beach

[image made August 1997]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1215 Harbor Drive

[the Jack and Beth Riley home was heavily damaged by Katrina.  The west side, the original structure which was once the first OSYC, was demolished in April 2006.  The remaining east side was built in 1995 by Bobby Schrieber when Adrian Turner was the owner of this unique structure.  L-R: image made October 1997; image made April 2006; and December 2007-all by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

427 East Beach

[L-R: image made March 1998; and image made September 2005]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

 

303 Dewey Avenue

[L-R: image made August 1987 and image made October 2005]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

112-A Shearwater

[l-r: image made 1999 from southwest; image made December 2005 from southeast; and image made January 2007 from north]

This fine structure, called Shadowlawn, survived Katrina, but the owner was determined to destroy it and succeeded.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

MARTIN AVENUE

 

 

418 Martin Avenue

Mattie M. Austin (1842-1916)-Walter Winklejohn House

[L-R: image made by Ray L. Bellande in July 1997 and August 29, 2005 as Katrina was leaving!]

 

 

513 Martin Avenue

          This home was demolished to build a new home and was not Katrina related.  The new domicile was commenced in June 2006 by Resch Construction Company of Ocean Springs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

411 Jackson Avenue

          The Robert W. Potter home was inundated by Katrina and damaged sufficiently to warrant demolition.  Mr. Potter moved to Tulsa and Dallas to reside with his son.  The lot was cleared and sold to his neighbors Bill and Michelle Deaton of 413 Jackson Avenue.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

410 Jackson Avenue

          von Rosambeau-Benz House was built by Augustus von Rosambeau (1849-1912) circa 1908.  In 1917, the von Rosambeau sold it to Marie Odette Brou Bryan (1879-1957).  It remained in the Bryan family until the demise of Frank H. Bryan II (1914-1999).  He legated it to the Catholic Diocese of Biloxi, Mississippi who conveyed it to Richard W. Benz (b. 1964) and Jennifer Becker Benz (b. 1969) in 2001. At the time of its total destruction by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, it was owned by Richard and Jennifer B. Benz.  Image made February 1993.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

406 Jackson Avenue

          The Bryan-Letoha Home was built in 1910 by Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960) for Frank H. Bryan (1872-1936).  It was damaged during Hurricane Georges in 1998 and was demolishing by neglect until Hurricane Katrina destroyed it in August 2005.  Image made March 1992.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

405 Jackson Avenue

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

401 Jackson Avenue

         This rental home possessed by Margaret Brou was destroyed by Katrina.  Valerie Brou, her niece, and grand niece, Gabrielle Brou, were occupants of this residence on August 29, 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

325 Jackson Avenue

          The Margaret Brou residence was removed by Katrina.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spring 2006

313 Jackson Avenue

            The Claire Brou domicile was inundated and wasted by Katrina.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2005

 

 

 

 

Fort Maurepas Replica

Front Beach Drive

Demolished December 9, 2005 as a result of severe damage by Hurricane Katrina in late August 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005

2215 Government

(another post-Katrina demolition. Image made September 1997)

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005    

(This auto paint and body shop of John Pitalo was demolished post-Katrina)

 

 

                                                                              NE/C of Government and Holcomb  

                                                                                      (image made in 2005)  

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005

 

2315 Government (image made April 1999)

(age and termites caused this commercial structure used as a beauty parlor, "Casa Bella" to be removed)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fall 2005

1401 Government [image made July 1997]

     This house was located on the NE/C of Government Street and Handy.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2005

915 State Street

This home on the southwest corner of State and Robinson was severely damaged by fire in September 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

KATRINA DESTROYED and DAMAGED

August 29, 2005

 

EAST BEACH DRIVE

 

 

 

401 East Beach-Dempsey M. Levi [rebuilt in September 2006]

[t-b: image August 1997; image September 2005; image September 2006; image February 2008. Ray L. Bellande, images.]

 

 

 

405 East Beach-Paul B. O'Neal

[l-r: image September 2005; image February 2006-first house destroyed by Katrina to be rebuilt on East Beach, which is identical to original house; image September 2006-Levi house to the west under construction in background.  Images by Ray L. Bellande.]

 

 

409 East Beach-Marty and Lisa Courtney Waggoner

[l-r: image August 1997; image September 2005; image September 2006-rebuilding a "Katrina" cottage to replace the remodeled Usner-Armand, cottage destroyed east of their main house.  Ray L. Bellande image.]

 

411 East Beach-Ury J. Armand and Patrick J. Armand (1934-2003), sons of Elizabeth 'Betty' Usner Armand (1909-1999).

Martin R. Waggoner and Lisa Courtney Wagoner acquired this lot in July 2001 from C. Spence Boyd. It was refurbished by the Wagoners in 2003 and destroyed by Katrina in August 2005.  Marty Wagoner built his new Katrina cottage here in August September 2006. 

[Image made 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

415 East Beach-Rita Jung Walker

[l-r: image August 1997; image September 2005-no rebuilding as of May 2011.  Ray L. Bellande images.]

 

417 East Beach-Candler Yarborough

[built in  by Candler Yarborough and Linda Rabby Yarborough, his wife. Image made April 2011]

 

419 East Beach-Harry Candler Yarbrough

[Home built by H. Candler Yarbrough circa 1986.  Destroyed by Katrina August 2005.  Images by Ray L. Bellande in August 1997 and September 2005.  No building as of May 2011.]

 

 

421 East Beach-Dan and Ginger Magruder

[images made by Ray L. Bellande in September 2005 and August 1997.  No building as of May 2011.]

 

423 East Beach-Donald and Natalie Robohm

[L-R:image made August 1997 and September 2005.  This home was built in 1990-1991 by Donald and Natalie Robohm from a Bruce Tolar, design.  Images by Ray L. Bellande] 

 

427 East Beach

[L-R: image made March 1998; and image made September 2005]