Newspapers & Research

History of Ocean Springs Newspapers with Research Resources and

Index for "Sous Les Chenes", "Images Under the Oaks

 

 

 

THE OCEAN SPRINGS RECORD: A history from 1965-2009

 [published in The Ocean Springs Record, June 27, 2008 and July 3, 2008]

Jack W. Seebeck [1965-1967]

The Ocean Springs Record commenced serving the local community and surroundings in 1965, with Jack W. Seebeck (1917-1982), editor and publisher.  Mr. Seebeck, a native of Crystal Springs, Mississippi, had previously worked for the Mobile Press Register as a police reporter and city editor for The Grand Island Daily Independent at Grand Island, Nebraska.  He had attended Mississippi College and finished the Master’s Degree program at USM.  In addition to managing The Record, Jack W. Seebeck was a teacher at East Elementary on Government Street.  He died at Mobile, Alabama in March 1982.(The Ocean Springs Record,  February 15, 1967, p. 1)

The first issue of The Ocean Springs Record, came out on August 5, 1965.  When The Record was launched Ocean Springs had The Ocean Springs News, also a weekly journal published by Richard Hawthrorne (1914-1974).  It ceased publication in 1967.  The format of Seebeck’s incipient newspaper was small with four pages approximately eleven inches wide by seventeen inches in length.  By 1967, The Record had grown to ten pages.  Jack Seebeck wrote “Carrousel”, his editorial commentary, while Faye Lingle Seebeck, his spouse, spun the “Society News”.  General Leroy J. Stewart (1900-1983), a retired and highly decorated, career Army officer and master gardener, shared his horticultural world with “Garden Corner”.(The Ocean Springs Record,  January 27, 1983, p.2)

General Stewart’s property consisted of about ten acres on Bryan’s Curve, that sharp bend in Government Street, just west of Magnolia Park School.  He had married Charlotte Jones (1908-1997), a native of McComb, Mississippi.  They retired from the Army in 1951 and acquired a portion of the former pig farm and pecan orchards of Frank Bryan (1872-1936) in November 1951 from Frank Bryan Jr. (1914-1999) and Thad W. Bryan (1907-1994), their father’s legatees.  Today the Promenade Subdivision occupies General Stewart’s former landscaped domain.  In 1974, Leroy J. Stewart was awarded the Jackson Dawson Medal by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society for his work with dogwood trees.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 120, p. 561 and The Ocean Springs Record,  April 25, 1974, p. 3)

Sale

Jack W. Seebeck sold The Record to David S. McFalls in February 1967.  Oscar Jordan, former city attorney, had related to Mr. McFalls of Mr. Seebeck’s desire to vend The Record.  His last issue was printed on February 15, 1967.(The Ocean Springs Record, February 15, 1967, p. 1 and The Ocean Springs Record, August 15, 1985, p. 4)

David Stuart McFalls [1967-1970]

“It is with great humility and concern that the new editor assumes the responsibility of The Ocean Springs Record.  Humility, because of the realization that our background and experience in the field of journalism falls for short of our predecessor’s.  Concern, because we are not yet apprised of the reception of our readers and advertisers.  We shall do our best to earn the respect and support of both.”  With this statement, David S. McFalls, a former insurance agent, began his career as and editor and publisher on February 23, 1967.

David S. McFalls (1912-1974) was a native of Sparkill, Rockland County, New York.  In New York, he made his livelihood as an insurance agent and had been past Master of the Wawaynda Masonic Lodge.  He and Ruth Joseph McFalls (1912-1986), his spouse from Des Moines, Iowa, arrived at Ocean Springs in 1962.  A prior visit had inspired them to relocate here from the Empire State with their three sons: Robert McFalls, Douglas McFalls, and Donald McFalls.  David S. McFalls was secretary of the Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce in 1965, when it leased the L&N Depot and surrounding .88 acres from the L&N Railroad.  He and Ruth opened the first Whistle Stop, a retail shop featuring gifts, and arts and crafts, in the old depot and freight station in May 1966.  In August 1969, David S. McFalls located an old caboose donated by the L&N railroad adjacent to the depot to let as retail space.  It was donated by the L&N.(The Ocean Springs News, February 23, 1967, p. 3, and August 14, 1969, p. 4)

During the proprietorship of David S. McFalls, The Record was operated from the L&N Depot, now the Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce office, and the journal was printed at Long Beach, Mississippi.  McFalls maintained the small page format that Jack W. Seebeck used, but he was able to increase the circulation and revenues that his newspaper grew as large as twenty pages in length.  David S. McFalls wrote his editorials as “Off The Record”.  He hired Donald Bowyer as advertising manager and Miss Terry Price, now Mrs. Joey Fountain.  Terry came aboardThe Record in May 1969 and among her features was the “Artist Series”, a column that related to the public the life and times of our local art community.  She was named associate editor in January 1973.  Also at this time, Richard E. O’Hara, who was serving in the Republic of Vietnam and lived in Ocean Springs, reported from Southeast Asia from his column, “Hail From O’Hara”.(The Ocean Springs Record,  May 29, 1969, p. 1)

David S. McFalls was the only publisher to print a newspaper on the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Camille of August 1969.  This issue was published from Blossman Printing in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.  Mr. McFalls’ sons brought The Record to the U.S. Post Office for mailing to its customers.(The Ocean Springs Record, August 15, 1985, p. 4)

Retirement and sale

In late January 1970, David S. McFalls was hospitalized in the ICU at Singing River Hospital with cardiac and vascular issues.  He was plagued with high blood pressure and had survived two heart attacks and a stroke.  McFalls decided that his future health could only improve with removing the daily stress of the newspaper business.  His last publication was February 12, 1970.(The Ocean Springs Record, January 29, 1970, p. 2 and February 12, 1970, p. 1)

Jac Fase Publishing Company, the McFalls stock company, sold The Ocean Springs Record to Dr. Dewey Lane, a Pascagoula surgeon, and Dr. Paul H. Moore, a Pascagoula radiologist, and Wayne W. Weidie in February 1970.  David S. McFalls retired from the Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce in August 1974 and expired at Ocean Springs in early September 1974.  Ruth Joseph McFalls lived died in September 1986 at Ocean Springs. (The Ocean Springs Record, August 15, 1974, p. 1, September 12, 1974, p. 1 and September 18, 1986, p. 3)

Wayne W. Weidie [b. 1941]

[editor-publisher from 1970 to 1990]

Jac Fase Publishing [1970-1977]

In March 1970, Wayne William Weidie (b. 1941), a native of New Orleans, became publisher of The Ocean Springs Record.  Dennis F. Knecht, a recently retired USAF Captain and Penn State University journalism major, joined the staff as managing editor.  Mr. Knecht had formed a local bond with Ocean Springs when he wedded Patricia Broome, the daughter of Wylie T. Broome (1903-1971) and Dovie Haddox Broome (1904-1982).  Mona Allen served the publication as advertising manager.

Wayne W. Weidie had been reared and educated at Pascagoula, Mississippi by  Alfred E. Weidie (1907-1986) and Dorothy McDonald Wiedie (    ), his parents.  Mr. Alfred E. Weidie worked as an accountant.  Wayne received his Political Science degree from Mississippi State University in 1963.  Graduate studies in Poly Sci followed at LSU.

In July 1971, Wayne W. Weidie became editor and publisher of The Ocean Springs Record.  Initiallyhe wrote his political and editorial comments as “Local Opinion” and “Publisher’s Comment”.  Weidie covered the local sporting scene with “Sports Sidelights”.  In 1972, Wayne’s political editorials became syndicated and were carried in several other State newspapers as ‘The Political Scene’.  ‘The Political Scene’ first appeared in The Record on May 3, 1973.  At its acme, ‘The Political Scene’ was read in seventeen daily and twenty-seven weekly newspapers.  Mr. Weidie published his last political column for The Record on January 4, 1989.(The Ocean Springs Record, May 3, 1973, p. 4 and January 4, 1989, p. 4)

Commencing in the early 1970s, Maxine Walden Ramsay wrote “Latimer-Larue News”, a column about the happenings in those County communities while Sue Stafford covered “St. Martin” in the same capacity.  Betty Bradford Milsted covered the town with “Springs Notebook” and wrote an early environmental article concerning pollution in Old Fort Bayou.  Susan Deuel Weidie (b. 1957), Wayne’s wife, and whose father, Ralph G. Deuel (1923-1997), once managed Gulf Hills, joined The Record staff n 1974.  She was a photographer and supervised production as graphics editor.(The Ocean Springs Record, August 15, 1985, pp. 4-5)

Mississippi Publishing Corporation [1977-1982]

The Ocean Springs Record was acquired by the Mississippi Publishing Corporation of Jackson, Mississippi effective May 1, 1977.  Wayne W. Weidie had purchased The Record in April 1977 from Dr. Dewey Lane and Dr. Paul H. Moore, his business partners since February 1970.  Mr. Weidie then conveyed the journal to Ocean Springs Record, Inc., the subsidiary company of the Mississippi Publishing Corporation.(The Ocean Springs Record, April 28, 1977, p. 1 and JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 588, p. 168 and Bk. 589, p. 264)

The Mississippi Publishing Corporation was owned by the Hederman family of Jackson, Mississippi.  During their five year ownership the Hedermans continued to operate as The Ocean Springs Record and maintained Wayne W. Weidie as their editor and publisher.

Cox Avenue

In late July 1979, The Ocean Springs Record office relocated from the L&N Depot on Washington Avenue to 715 Cox Avenue.  On August 3, 1979, The Record celebrated their 14thanniversary as well as the opening of their new quarters for business.  William R. Allen Jr. (1911-1985) had managed the building’s refurbishment as the journal’s architect-contractor.  715 Cox Avenue was originally built by Frank E. ‘Kiddo’ Galle (1900-1986), a local building contractor, as his home.  T

The old bungalow had been owned by many families through the years: Alfred L. Speed (1909-1997) and Irene Speed from 1940 to 1948; Charles G. Huffines (1909-1992) and Anna F. Huffines (1915-1999) -1948-1949; H.W. McMurtray (1917-2004)-1949 to 1951; Blanche M. Drake (1872-1972)-1951 to 1956; Louis L. Bunch 1956 to 1960; Myrtis Rose Bunch 1960 to 1962; Neil H. McAllister (1925-2004) and Shirley R. McAllister-1962 to 1971; and Eleanor Bradford Lemon 1971 to 1971.  Mrs. Lemon conveyed the Galle bungalow to Dewey Lane, Paul H. Moore and Wayne W. Weidie in July 1971.(The Ocean Springs Record, August 2, 1979, p. 1)(see The Ocean Springs Record, January 24, 1975, p. )

In early April 1982, the Gannet Company, Inc. agreed to purchase The Ocean Springs Record and eight other journals from the Jackson based Hederman brothers.  Among these were theHattiesburg American, The Jackson Clarion-Ledger, and The Jackson Daily News.(The Ocean Springs Record, April 8, 1982, p. 1)

Gannett Company, Inc. [1982-2001]

Gannett Co., Inc. is one of the most diverse news, information and communications companies in the USA. A company rich in its diversity of people and communities, Gannett serves readers and viewers through its operations in 38 states and the District of Columbia, Guam, the United Kingdom, Canada, Belgium, Germany and Hong Kong.  It began in 1906, when Frank Gannett and his associates bought a half interest in the Elmira Gazette in Elmira, N.Y. From this small venture, Gannett and his associates expanded gradually, purchasing another newspaper there and merging them to form the Star-Gazette.  Today Gannett is a multimedia operation with interests in newspapers, television, and the internet.  USA Today is its flagship, national journal.

After the Gannett purchase, Wayne W. Weidie remained as editor and publisher.  The Record was printed at Hattiesburg, Mississippi by the Hattiesburg American during Gannett’s ownership.  ‘Torgerson on Sports’ a syndicated sports column by Stan Torgerson (1924-2006), former Ole Miss football and basketball radio broadcaster and sportswriter for the Meridian Star,was used in the 1980s to supplement Editor Weidie’s local sports journalism.  Mr. Weidie’s love for State and national political commentary was emphasized in The Record, as he utilized two syndicated Mississippi political columnists: Sid Salter, publisher of the Scott County Times whose ‘Good Ole Boys’ and ‘The Denley Report’ by Gale Denley, publisher of the Calhoun County Journal, were fixture for years in his broadsheet.  ‘Hounds Tale’, the OSHS news, and Bull Dog Bark, a Vancleave High School, preppy, news feature, were included in The Record.

Chris Poss, served The Record for ten years bowing out in February 1991.  She penned ‘Trifles’ and was managing editor for four years.  Valerie Wilson, advertising executive and business manager, joined The Record in 1981.  She probably held the longest tenure on the weekly of any non-owner, completing thirteen years service when she departed in 1999.(The Ocean Springs Record, February 21, 1991, p. 4 and Valerie Wilson, June 29)                      

Weidie to Washington

Wayne W. Weidie and family left The Ocean Springs Record on January 12, 1990 to join the staff of U.S. Representative Gene Taylor in Washington D.C.  as administrative assistant.  The Weidies were feted at the Ocean Springs Yacht Club before their departure to the Capitol City.  James Ricketts came on board as publisher and editor in March 1990.(The Ocean Springs Record, January 4, 1990, p. 1)

In late October 1993, Wayne Weidie donated his political columns to Mississippi State University to be archived.(The Ocean Springs Record, October 28, 1993, p. 3)

Ricketts tenure [1990-1999]

James R. Ricketts (b. 1959), a West Texan, found his way to Mississippi via The Jackson Clarion Ledger.  He had worked for journals in Dalhart and Amarillo, Texas and was toiling famously as Gulf Coast bureau chief for The Clarion Ledger when Gannett selected him as editor-publisher of The Ocean Springs Record in March 1990.  Cindy Ricketts, his loving spouse, worked pen in pen with James to give Ocean Springs a solid weekly journal.  Haley Butler (b. 1978), their daughter, served loyally in the advertising department to complete the Ricketts trio.  James Ricketts wrote “Randomly”.  His editorials were a pensive and imaginative analysis on salient issues in Ocean Springs.  If one were to be critical of Editor Ricketts, it would be for the paucity of his editorial epistles.(The Ocean Springs Record, March 29, 1990, p. 1 and The Sun Herald, March 30, 1990, p. C4)

Mr. Ricketts began his career in the newspaper industry after studying Mass Communications at Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas.  He also was educated in journalism at the Garden City Community College in Kansas.(The Sun Herald, March 30, 1990, p. C4)

Warren Kulo joined The Record in 1990 and confidently wrote local sports and became managing editor during his long but somewhat intermittent tenure with the local weekly.  In the same vein, Raines Rushing, a ‘writer for all reasons’, and Melissa Schneider, ‘a lady for all stories’, were contributors during the Ricketts era.
Ray L. Bellande came aboard in May 1993 and wrote ‘Sous Les Chenes’ until March 2001.  His column was a potpourri of local history from Colonial times to the recent past.  Bellande also has a website, oceanspringsarchives.net, which went online in October 2004 and contains many of his Mississippi Gulf Coast historical essays and vintage images.

With mutual regrets, the Ricketts family departed Ocean Springs for Marianna, Florida. Here James and Cindy operated ironically a weekly journal, The Jackson County, Floridian. During their absence, The Record was managed by The Hattiesburg American and supervised from Pensacola and locally from 1999 until 2001 by Thomas Ashton Jr., Katy Taylor, and Sally Hope.           

JC Publishing-the Ricketts returns [2001-2007]

James and Cindy Ricketts acquired The Ocean Springs Record from Gannett on September 19th, 2001.  They immediately went into damage control to restore The Record to its former standards and improve their circulation and advertising base.  Valerie Winn was hired as Art Editor and wrote “POST impressions”, a brilliant and informative column on local artists, art activities, and with special emphasis on the Walter Anderson Museum of Art (WAMA).  Mrs. Winn retired from her post in June 2008.  Mr. Rickettts wrote his last Record editorial on July 19, 2007.(The Ocean Springs Record, June 19, 2008, p. A2 and  p. B6)

Editor and proprietor Ricketts asked Ray L. Bellande to come out of the ‘stacks’ and continue chronicling the local history.  Reyn Pravata, sports editor, joined the staff in 2006?.

In July 2007JC Publishing sold The Ocean Springs Record, to Bay Newspaper, Inc. owned by Jerry and Donni Turner of Miami, Oklahoma.  The Ricketts returned to Lubbock, Texas where he is pursuing a career in radio broadcasting at KFLP in Floydada, Texas.  The Record moved from 715 Cox Avenue to its present location at 1308 Bienville Boulevard in late 2007, as the old Galle place was not included in the sale to the Turner family.  As of July 2008, the former Ocean Springs Record office at 715 Cox Avenue was on the real estate market seeking a buyer.(The Ocean Springs Record, July 19, 2007, p. A1)

 

Leigh Blount Coleman

[editor-publisher, feature writer and photographer-image made September 2009 by Ray L. Bellande]

Jerry G. Turner [2007-2009?]

In addition to The Ocean Springs Record, Jerry and Donni Turner also own the Biloxi-D’Iberville Press, formerly The Bay Press.  The Turners own Family Media Inc., newspapers in Florida, a TV station, and a newspaper industry trade publication.  Initially they hired Patti Guider of Biloxi as publisher of The Ocean Springs Record.  Later Leigh Blount Coleman became editor-publisher, feature writer and photographer.  She left the Record in July 2009 as the journal reached an all time low in circulation and news.  Ms. Coleman joined The Gazette, a new journal for Ocean Springs, which published its first issue on August 19, 2009.

Warren Kulo

Warren Kulo (b. 1963), a former sports editor and managing editor of The Record returned to the journal again as editor in September 2009.  Mr. Kulo graduated from Ocean Springs High School and attended Mississippi State University where he majored in journalism and was sports editor for The Reflector, the campus journal.  His career as a sports journalist began with The Columbus Commercial Dispatch and later at The Starksville Daily News.  Warren Kulo faces a difficult task to restore The Record to its former glory.(The Ocean Springs Record, September 24, 2009, p. 1)             Warren Kulo departed The Record without much fanfare in January 2010.  At this time,  Charles McKellar began his tenure as Editor-Publisher of The Ocean Springs Record on January 14th.  He also wrote Inside Politics & More for the local journal.  Also in January 2010, Valerie Wynn, former art editor, and in February 2010, Ray L. Bellande, local historian, began to share his research with the subscribers.(The Ocean Springs Record, January 14, 2010, p. 2, January 21, 2010, p. 1, and January 28, 2010, p. 3)

Charles F. McKellar Jr.

Charles Fortson McKellar Jr. (1935-2012) was born at Columbus, Mississippi.  He graduated from Mississippi State University in 1958 and has acquired  much experience in journalism, media and political promotions, and politics in his plus fifty year career. Charles  was press secretary for a Governor of Mississippi; the first National Media Manager of Billy Beer, a promotion of Billy Carter (1937-1988), brother of President Jimmy Carter (b. 1924).; first Promotion Director for The Daily Herald ; executive producer for Nashville on the Road, a 1975-1981 television show starring Jerry Clower (1926-1998), Mississippi comedian; executive editor of Proud to Call Mississippi Home (2006) and author of The Candidate Conspiracy (2011).  Certainly not the acme of his career, Charles McKellar led the unsuccessful mayoral campaign of Scott Walker, a Republican, in 2010 to unseat Connie Marie Moran, incumbent Mayor of Ocean Springs, Mississippi.  Mr. McKellar left the Ocean Springs Record to promote his book and continue his writing.

Charlie Fortson McKellar, Jr. passed away Thursday, June 7, 2012 in Gulfport at the age of 76.  An avid sportsman, McKellar relinquished the day-to-day editorial control of  The Ocean Springs Record last year to devote full time to the re-publication of the book, Proud to Call Mississippi Home. McKellar had recently completed his first work of fiction, The Candidate Conspiracy, due out this month in hardcover and online, and was preparing a book tour to promote the novel set in Mississippi and Washington D.C. when he became ill.(The Sun Herald, June   , 2012)
 

Bay Corporation, Inc.

The Bay Corporation, Incorporated acquired the Ocean Springs Record in late 2010 or early 2011.

Gene Coleman

Gene Coleman, a native of the St. Martin Community, became editor of The Ocean Springs Record in March 2011 replacing Charles McKellar.  Gene has been domiciled in Ocean Springs since 1998 and his curiculum vitae is pregnant with local journalism experience.  He has written and seved as editor for The Bay Press [Biloxi-D'Iberville Press] and frelanced for The Sun Herald.  At this time, The Ocean Springs Record office has also relocated from Washington Avenue to 432 Porter Street.(The Ocean Springs Record, March 31, 2011, p. 1 and p. 3)

 

REFERENCES:

The Ocean Springs News, “McFalls buys newspaper”, February 23, 1967, p. 3.

The Ocean Springs Record, “O.S. Record sold here”, February 15, 1967.

The Ocean Springs Record, “A statement from your editor”, February 23, 1967.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Terry Price joins O.S. Record Staff”, May 29, 1969.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Off The Record”, January 29, 1970.

The Ocean Springs Record, “A message from the editor”, February 12, 1970.

The Ocean Springs Record, “McFall retires from Record”, February 12, 1970.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Ocean Springs Record sold”, February 12, 1970.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Farewell again”, February 26, 1970.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Record begins sixth year”, August 6, 1970, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Caboose placed next to Whistle Stop by David McFalls”, January 14, 1971, p. 2.

The Ocean Springs Record, “McFalls resigns chamber post”, August 15, 1974, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Chamber director discusses Whistle Stop situation”, September 12, 1974, p. 3.

The Ocean Springs Record, “McFalls resigns Chamber post”, August 15, 1974, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “David McFalls dies here Tuesday”, September 12, 1974.

The Ocean Springs Record, January 24, 1975.

The Ocean Springs Record, “OS Record purchased”, April 28, 1977, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record“Open House”, May 2, 1979, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Record House [former Speed home], December 11, 1980, p. 4

The Ocean Springs Record, “Record joins Gannett Group”, April 8, 1982, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “20th Anniversary”, August 15, 1985, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “McFalls fell in love with Ocean Springs”, August 15, 1985, p. 4

The Ocean Springs Record, “Record has personal touch”, August 15, 1985, p. 4

The Ocean Springs Record, “OS Record past and present”, August 15, 1985, pp. 4-5.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Former advertising director recalls work on Ocean Springs Record”, August 15, 1985, p. 5.

The Ocean Springs Record, “On our birthday-Thanks”, August 15, 1985, p. 6.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Perkins-Weidie”, September 4, 1986, p. 7.

The Ocean Springs Record, “McFalls, wife of former publisher, dies”, September 18, 1986.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Thank you all”, January 4, 1989, p. 2.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Weidie joins Taylor staff”, January 4, 1990, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Ricketts named to head Record”, March 29, 1990, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Trifles”, ‘After ten years, it’s time for a change’, February 21, 1991, p. 4.

The Ocean Springs Record, “MSU to receive Weidie papers”, October 28, 1993, p. 3.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Ocean Springs Record to continue coverage”, February 4, 1999, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “OSR-GI sold to Ricketts”, September 20, 2001, p. 1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “Record changes owners”, July 19, 2007, p. A1.

The Ocean Springs Record, “In parting”, July 19, 2007, p. A2.

The Ocean Springs Record, “POST impressions”, June 19, 2008.

The Ocean Springs Record, “44 years and counting: the Record is still here”, September 24, 200.

The Ocean Springs Record, “OSR tabs Kulo as editor”, September 24, 2009.

The Ocean Springs Record, “About our new publisher”, January 7, 2010.

The Ocean Springs Record, “OS Record moves, welcomes Coleman as editor”, March 31, 2011.

The Sun Herald, "Ocean Springs, Gautier papers get new editor", March 30, 1990.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE OCEAN SPRINGS GAZETTE

    

Leigh Blount Coleman

[first managing editor-publisher-image by Ray L. Bellande-September 2009]

The Ocean Springs Gazette was established in August 2009 by South Mississippi Media, an LLC owned by Alwyn Luckey, Scott Walker, local businessmen, and Mr. Cain, associated withThe Stone County Enterprise of Wiggins, Mississippi.  The newspaper was started because the town's only journal, The Ocean Springs Record, was not delivering the quality news and local interest of the past.  The Gazette took its name from The Gazette, a weekly newspaper published in Ocean Springs by George Allen Cox in the 1850s, which is considered the town's first journal.  The initial staff of The Gazette was: Leigh Blount Coleman, managing editor-publisher; Frank Stumbo, lead reporter-managing sports editor; Jennifer Marshall, advertising director; Arthur Baker, billing, circulation and net manager; Amanda Bybee, graphics; Bobby R. Layton, sports editor; and Ray L. Bellande, editorial staff.(The Gazette, September 23, 2009, p. 5)

Ms. Coleman left The Gazette in the spring of 2010 and was replaced by Frank Stumbo.  He stepped down in November 2010 and Angela H. Cutrer became editor.  In January 2011, Amanda Bybee, graphics director, was the only original employee remaining with the Gazette.

AIMEE HESTER

Aimee Hester was named executive editor of The Gazette on February 18, 2011 replacing Angela Cutrer.  Aimee is a graduate of Harcum College at Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.  Her first media experience was with WCAU TV, a CBS affiliate at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  In 1994, WCAU became an NBC affiliate.  Aimee became involved with the local media in 2005.  Her associations have been with The Sun Herald, The Observer, South Mississippi Living, the Mississippi Newcomers and Visitors Guide.  Her radio experience has been with WTNI 1640 AM when she hosted 'Pulse of the Coast with Aimee Hester and 'Pulse of the Coast with Aimee Hester'.(The Gazette, February 23, 2011, p. 2)

TOBIE BAKER

Tobie Baker joined The Ocean Springs Gazette in November 2011.  He was born at West Memphis, Arkansas circa 1972. Mr. Baker was reared by Baptist missionary parents in the hill country of north Mississppi and resided at Batesville and Carson, Mississippi before becoming a resident of Oxford, Mississippi.  Circa 1992, Tobie Baker matriculated to the University of Mississippi where his major fields of study were Journalism and Advertising.  He graduated from Ole Miss in 1996.   In 2000, Baker found employment with the University of Mississippi public relations office at Oxford, Mississippi.  His hobbies are brewing beer and film making.  In 2010, Tobie directed and produced a short documentary, Valentease, about a burlesque performance.  It was filmed in Oxford, Mississippi and was an official selection at the 2011 Oxford Film Festival.

LAUREL LUCKEY

Tobie Baker, executuve editor, left The Gazette in early April 2012 and was replaced by Laurel Luckey, the daughter of Alwyn H. Luckey, owner and publisher of the journal.  Laurel attended OSHS and graduated from the University of Mississippi in  2011? with a degree in marketing.  On occasions while an Ole MIss undergraduate, she wrote fashion and style articles for The Gazette.

JAMES RICKETTS

In 2012?, James and Cindy Ricketts, former owners of The Ocean Springs Record, returned to Ocean Springs from Lubbock, Texas and acquired The Gazette.

 

REFERENCES:

The Gazette, "Hester named as executive editor", February 23, 2011.

The Gazette"Hello Ocean Springs!", November 9, 2011.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

SOURCE MATERIAL FOR OCEAN SPRINGS RESEARCH

“Discovering the "Discovery City"

There are many things germane to the culture and history of a place.  Some might be considered fact and others trivia.  Hopefully all are interesting and entertaining to the reader.  Presented are some sources, which should provide some of the above criteria:

      LITERATURE

From the literature we gain knowledge of the past.  The author highly recommends the following list of books, pamphlets, and newspaper columns to anyone interested in various aspects of the history, genealogy, and culture of Ocean Springs:

Mary Louise Adkinson, Bousage-Bosarge Family, Mississippi Coast Historical and Genealogical Society-Special Issue 4 (June 1986), and 2nd Edition (January 1991), 321 pages.

Melba Goff Allen, 1850 Census of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Allen: Pascagoula-1988), 54 pages.

Melba Goff Allen, Death Records of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Jackson County Genealogical Society: Pascagoula-1990), 140 pages.

Agnes Anderson, Approaching The Magic Hour, (University of Mississippi Press:  Jackson-1989), 177 pages.

Barker, Fazio, and Hildebrandt, The Small Town as an Art Object,

William Bartram, Travels of William Bartram, (Dover Publications: New York-1955), 414 pages.

Ray L. Bellande, The Bellande Cemetery, Ocean Springs: A History and Register (1851-1990), (Bellande-Ocean Springs-1991), 30 pages.

---------------, Cemeteries Near Ocean Springs, Jackson County, Mississippi, (Bellande: Ocean Springs-1992), 141 pages.

---------------, Ocean Springs Hotels and Tourist Homes, (Bellande: Ocean Springs-1994), 155 pages.

---------------, "Sous Les Chenes", newspaper local history column in The Ocean Springs Record.  Commenced May 13, 1993 to present (June 2002)

John H. Blitz, C. B. Mann, and Ray L. Bellande, Mississippi Archaeology, Vol. 30, No. 1, June 1995, “Fort Maurepas and Vieux Biloxi: Search and Research”, 36 pages.

Carl A. Brasseaux, A Comparative View of French Louisiana, 1699 and 1762:  The Journals of Pierre LeMoyne d'Iberville and Jean-Jacques-Blaise d'Abbadie, (The Center For Louisiana Studies, USL: Lafayette, Louisiana-1979), 159 pages.

Laville Bremer, Biloxi Historical Sketch, (General Printing Company: New Orleans-1931), 42 pages.

Mary Plummer Buford and Albert G. Buford, “The Bufford Letters”, a series of approximately forty letters written from August 2, 1878 until September 15, 1878, from Mary Plummer Buford (1808-1878) at Ocean Springs to her husband Albert G. Buford (1813-1878+) of Water Valley, Yalobusha County, Mississippi, relating some of the events of the 1878 Yellow Fever Epidemic at Ocean Springs.  The original Buford letters are now in the possession of Wally Northway, a descendant of A.G. Buford.  Northway is a resident of Florence, Mississippi.  Copies exist in the Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Archives, Pascagoula, Mississippi.

Cyril E. Cain, Four Centuries on the Pascagoula: History, Story, and Legend of the Pascagoula River Country,(The Reprint Company: Spartanburg, South Carolina-1983), Two volumes.

Margaret Rose Carraway, "The Cornerstone of Old Fort Maurepas", Journal of Mississippi History, April, 1951. pp. 101-104.

Nap L. Cassibry, II, The Ladner Odyssey, Mississippi Coast Historical and Genealogical Society-Special Issue 6 (January 1988), 931 pages.

Charting Louisiana: Five Hundred Years of Maps, (The Historic NOLA Collection-New Orleans, Louisiana-2003), 383 pages.

J.F.H. Claiborne, Mississippi as a Province, Territory, and State, (The Reprint Company: Spartanburg, South Carolina-1978.  Reproduced from an 1880 edition), 591 pages.

Thomas Ewing Dabney, Ocean Springs: The Land Where Dreams Come True, (Republished by 1699 Historical Committee-Lewis Printing Service: Pascagoula-1974.  Originally published circa 1915), 34 pages.

Discover Ocean Springs, (Greater Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce Annual Magazine by Hubert St. Onge, et al), approximately 60 pages).

Charles L. Dufour, Ten Flags in the Wind-The story of Louisiana, (Harper & Row, Publishers-New Yorj-1967), 307 pages.

M. Le page Du Pratz, History of Louisiana, (Claitor’s Publishing Division: Baton Rouge, Louisiana-1972), 366 pages.

Charles L.Dyer, Along The Gulf, (Women of the Trinity Episcopal Church:  Pass Christian-1971.  Originally published 1895, 60 pages.

J. Ambrose Elwell, et al, Soil Survey of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Superintendent of Documents, Washington, D.C.-1927)

Robert B. Fisher, The French Invade the South and Lose, (Shaugnessy & Co.: Biloxi-1984), 50 pages.

Alcee Fortier, A History of Louisiana (4 Volumes), (Manzi, Joyant, & Co.: New York-1904).

Henri A. Gandolfo, Metairie Cemetery, An Historical Memoir, (Stewart Enterprises: New Orleans, Louisiana-1981)

 

T.H. Glenn, The Mexican Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound Illustrated, (Delchamps: Mobile, Alabama-1893), 100 pages.

Dale Greenwell, Twelve Flags Triumphs and Tragedies: A Complete documented, detailed history of the Mississippi Coast and its people, (Published by Greenwell-1968), 175 pages.

Lurline S. Hall, Plum Wine Reveries, (Letohatchie, Alabama: 1984) (stories told by Joseph Louis "Dode" Schrieber about growing up in Ocean Springs in the late 1800s), 52 pages.

Ellis Handy, "Know Your Neighbor", The Gulf Coast Times (Newspaper) (July 1949 to November 1949).  A series of informative articles on families and individuals who contributed to the development of Ocean Springs.

Jean-Baptise de la Harpe, The Journal of the Establishment of the French in Louisiana, (University of Southwestern Louisiana: Lafayette, Louisiana-1971), 272 pages.

Nollie Hickman, Mississippi Harvest: Lumbering in the Longleaf Pine Belt (1840-1915), (The Paragon Press: Montgomery, Alabama - 1962), 306 pages.

Jay Higginbotham, Fort Maurepas: The Birth of Louisiana, (Colonial Books:  Mobile-1968), 93 pages.

----------------------, The Journal of Sauvole, (Colonial Books: Mobile-1969), 70 pages.

----------------------, Old Mobile: Fort Louis de la Louisiane (1702- 1711), (Museum of the City of Mobile, Publication No. 4: Mobile-1977), 585 pages.

Regina B. Hines Ellison, Ocean Springs 1892, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula-1979), 87 pages.

-----------------------------, Ocean Springs, 1892, 2nd Edition, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula-1991), 150 pages.

The History of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula-1989), 438  pages.

H. Grady Howell, Jr., To Live and Die in Dixie, A History of the Third Mississippi Infantry, CSA, (Chickasaw Bayou Press:Jackson, Mississippi-1991), 644 pages.

Jackson County, Mississippi School Census (1912), (Ocean Springs Genealogical Society: Ocean Springs-1989), 82 pages.

Journal of the Frigate "Le Marin" (September 5, 1698-July 2, 1699), (Blossman Printing Company: Ocean Springs-1974), 70 pages.

Journal of the Jackson County Genealogical Society, Pascagoula (published quarterly since 1984).

Helen Kerr Kempe, The Pelican Guide To Old Homes of Mississippi, Volume 1:  Natchez and the South, (Pelican Publishing Company:  Gretna, Louisiana-1977).

Darlene Krohn, The Descendants of Jerome Ryan, (Krohn: Latimer, Mississippi-1995).

Main Street Through Mississippi on the Old Spanish Trail, J.H. Jacque, compiler, and A.A. Heldt, photographer, (Gulfport Printing Company: Gulfport-circa 1925).  Larry Cosper at Local Color Gallery has the only copy in Ocean Springs.

Mexican Gulf Coast Winter Resorts (Illinois Central Railroad Promotional Pamphlet circa 1890), Biloxi Public Library Archives.

Richebourg Gaillard McWilliams, Fleur de lys and Calumet, The Penicaut Narrative, (LSU Press: Baton Rouge-1953), 281 pages.

Richebourg Gaillard McWilliams, Iberville's Gulf Journals, (University of Alabama Press: University, Alabama-1981), 195 pages.

Mississippi Coast History and Genealogical Society, Biloxi (published three times a year since 1968).

Mississippi Gulf Coast Yesterday & Today (1699-1939), Federal Writers Project in Mississippi Works Progress Administration, (Gulfport Printing Company: Gulfport-1939), 162 pages.

Honorable John Hugh McDowell, History of the McDowell's, Erwins, Irwins, and Connections, (C.B. Johnston & Co,-Memphis, Tennessee-1918)

Lu Hartley Morehead, Old Spanish Trail Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, (Dixie Press: Gulfport, Mississippi-1955 and 1958).

Ocean Springs, Mississippi: A Look at the Beautiful Past of a Beautiful City, (Ocean Springs Junior High School 8th Grade Enrichment Class-1983, Deanne Nuwer, Editor), 76 pages.

Nola Nance Oliver, The Gulf Coast of Mississippi, (Hastings House: New York-1941).  Approximately 100 pages.

Thomas Park, Recollections of Ocean Springs (1911-1919), (Chicago-1982) (a monograph written about Park's boyhood recollections located in the vertical files at the Ocean Springs Public Library), 33 pages.

Dawson A. Phelps, Research Report on Fort de Maurepas, Mississippi, (US Department of The Interior-National Park Service, 1939) 

Requiem, Jackson County Cemetery Records (Three Volumes), (Jackson County Genealogical Society-1969), 464 pages.

Elizabeth Lemon Roberts and Ray L. Bellande, Ocean Springs The way we were 1900-1950, (Ocean Springs Rotary Club: Ocean Springs, Mississippi-1996), 159 pages.

Betty Clark Rogers, Miscellaneous Records of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Volume I), (Jackson County Genealogical Society: Pascagoula-1990), 152 pages.

Betty Clark Rogers, Obituaries, Marriages, and Celebration of Jackson and George Counties, 2 volumes, (Jackson County Genealogical Society-1989 and 1991), 275 pages.

Bernard Romans, A Concise Natural History of East and West Florida, (reprinted Pelican Publishing Company: New Orleans, Louisiana-1961), 291 pages.

C.E. Schmidt, Ocean Springs French Beachhead, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula-1972), 142 pages.

Collen C. Sholtes and L.J. Scholtes, Biloxi and the Mississippi Gulf Coast:  A Pictorial History, (The Donning Company:  Norfolk, Virginia-1985), 219 pages.

M. James Stevens Collection, Ocean Springs (Book No. 112), Biloxi Public Library History & Archives Department, approximately 500 pages.

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Confederate Records of Jackson County, Mississippi, (Moss Point, Mississippi-1988), 178 pages.

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Census, Tax Rolls, and Petitions, Book 1, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-1995)

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Book 2, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-199 )

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Book 3, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-199  )   

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory:  Book 4, (Strickland: Moss Point< Mississippi-19   )

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Book 5, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-199  )

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Book 6, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-199  )

Jean Strickland and Patricia N. Edwards, Residents of the Southeastern Mississippi Territory: Records of Spanish West Florida (1806+), Book 7, (Strickland: Moss Point, Mississippi-1999)

Charles L. Sullivan, Hurricanes of the Mississippi Gulf Coast-1717 to Present, (Gulf Publishing Company:  Biloxi-1986), 139 pages.

Charles L. Sullivan, Hurricanes of the Mississippi Gulf Coast-Three Centuries of Destruction, (Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College Press: Perkinston, Mississippi-2009), 174 pages.

Charles L. Sullivan, The Mississippi Gulf Coast: Portrait of a People, (Windsor Publications: Northridge, California-1985), 200 pages.

Gerald W. Sweitzer and Kathy M. Fields, The 50 Best Small Southern Towns, (Peachtree Publishers: Atlanta, Georgia-2001)

Ray M. Thompson, "Know Your Coast", (Biloxi Daily Herald-1955-1956), Biloxi Public Library Historical and Genealogical Section.

Twentieth Century Coast Edition of the Biloxi Daily Herald: Historical and Biographical (George W. Wilkes & Sons: Biloxi-1902?), 100 pages.

R.A. Wilkinson, "The Gulf Coast", letters written for The New Orleans Times Democrat, (Passenger Department L&N Railroad: Louisville, Kentucky-1886), 63 pages.

Thomas C. S-Wixon, Photographs From the Past, Jackson County, Mississippi, (Wixon:  Pascagoula-1982).  96 pages.

WPA For Mississippi Historical Data-Jackson County,(State Wide Historical Project-1936-1937), 478 pages.

Volunteer Fire Companies of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, including Ernest Schimdt's Condensed History of Ocean Springs, (1960), 38 pages.

Larry Ziglar, A History of Jackson County, Mississippi (Masters Thesis: Mississippi College-1961), 175 pages.

NEWSPAPERS

Another valuable source of information is the newspaper.  Although early newspapers were published at Ocean Springs very few survive.  A brief listing of the newspapers of Ocean Springs follows:

The Ocean Springs Naiad- first published on September 10, 1853.  First and second issues were printed in the New Orleans Daily Picayune in September 11 and 18th, 1853.  Copies may be seen in Book 112 (Ocean Springs) of the M. James Smith Collection at the Biloxi Public Library.

The Ocean Springs Gazette- first issue 1854.  George A. Cox, proprietor; T.H. Manning, publisher; E.K. Washington, editor.  There was a copy of the March 24, 1855 edition in the Ocean Springs Public Library, but it was loaned or given to the Ocean Springs City Museum in the MC O'Keefe Cultural Center in 2010.

The Ocean Springs Tattler-published in the 1870s.  No known copies available.

The Ocean Springs Signal-published only in 1892 by C.W. Crozier and F.L. Drinkwater.  (see Ocean Springs French Beachhead, pages 80-81).

The Ocean Springs Leader-published in 1893 by F.L. Drinkwater (see Ocean Springs, 1892, page 27.)

The Ocean Springs Wave-published for 10 months in 1896 by Arthur Soule.  Jules Soule, editor.  Two issues (1896) available at Mississippi Department of Archives and History and on microfilm at the Pascagoula Public Library.

The Progress- A.E. Lee (1874-1936) publisher and editor from 1897-1903.  Lee sold to Ernest Beaugez.  Plant destroyed by fire March 4, 1905.  Some issues (1904-1905) available at Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and Chancery Court of Jackson County Archives in Pascagoula.

The Ocean Springs News- (1905 to 1915).  A.E. Lee publisher and editor from 1905 to 1915 when he sold to Thomas Ewing Dabney (1885-1970) who became editor and Winifred Dabney, publisher.  Dabney sold out to Lee in August 1916.  Lee changed the name of the paper to The Jackson County Times.  Available on microfilm, at the Jackson County Chancery Court Archives in Pascagoula (January 16, 1909 to December 23, 1911 and January 6, 1916 to July 13, 1916).  Some issues on microfilm at the Ocean Springs Public Library (November 14, 1914 to March 1916).

The Jackson County Times-(1916 to 1947).  A.E. Lee publisher and editor until his death in 1936.  His son, Harry R. Lee (1903-1951), was publisher and editor until his death in 1951.  Copies available 1916, 1917, 1920-1927 and 1929 in bound books at the Jackson County Chancery Court Archives at Pascagoula.  March 1943 to January 1947? on microfilm at the Ocean Springs Public Library.  Mississippi Department of Archives and History has (1918-29, 1933, 1936, 1949, 1951-1953) on microfilm.

The Gulf Coast Times-(1947 to 1953).  George W. Reagen, editor.  On microfilm at Ocean Springs Public Library, and Ms. Dept. of Archives & History.  Some original issues at the Jackson County Chancery Court Archives in Pascagoula.

The Ocean Springs News-(1953 to 1967).  Published by Gulf Graphics Publishing Company, James Fraser-editor.  Bound copies 1964-1967 in Ocean Springs Library.

The Daily Times-News-?-1964.  Published by Gulf Graphics Publishing Company (five days per week).  Four January 1964 issues bound in the Ocean Springs News 1964 Book at the Ocean Springs Library.

The Jackson County News-1968.  Richard Hathorne, editor.  Bound copies in Ocean Springs Library.

The Ocean Springs Record-June 1966 to 2006 on microfilm or bound at the Ocean Springs Public Library.  The Ocean Springs Record has an archives of back issues in their office at 715 Cox Avenue.

Jackson County Chancery Court Archives and Pascagoula Public Library should have the following newspapers on microfilm:

The Jackson County Times (1916-1936)

The Ocean Springs News (1909-1911)

The Ocean Springs News (1914-1969?)

The Progress (1904-1905)

Maps

The following maps are old and give one an idea of the local geography from the French Colonial Period to the Civil War.

Specific Map of Fort Maurepas and the Bay of Biloxi and the Surrounding Area (c. 1700).  Scale (1"=570').  Copy available at the Biloxi public Library.

New Biloxi (c. 1720).  Copy available at the Biloxi Public Library.

Map of the Coast of New Biloxi (1"=3 1/4 miles).  Copy available at the Biloxi Public Library.

Map of Part of the Coast of New Biloxi With Surrounding Islands (1"=7200').

Culmseig Map of 1854 (One of the first surveyed map of the Village of Ocean Springs).  Copy available at Chancery Clerk's Office in Pascagoula and Ocean Springs Public Library.

US Coast Survey (1851) Harbor and Back Bay of Biloxi (1:10000) by W.E. Greenwell and W.M. Johnson.  Biloxi Public Library.

US Coast Survey (1858) Biloxi Bay (1:40000) by W.E. Greenwell and S.A. Gilbert.  Biloxi Public Library.

Sanborn Maps (for insurance purposes): 1893, 1898, 1904, (2 sheets), 1909 (3 sheets), and 1925 (4 sheets).  Ocean Springs Public Library.

Others:   Ray L. Bellande has a personal collection of maps and surveys plats of the area which he has found and reproduced while searching for Ocean Springs' past glory.

THE OCEAN SPRINGS RECORD

      From mid-May 1993 until June 2009, Ray L. Bellande (b. 1943) wrote four columns, Sous Les Chenes, Images Under the Oaks, Vintage Village Vues, and Coast Wise for The Ocean Springs Record.  Hard copies of these articles are housed in the History and Genealogy section of the Biloxi Public Library, the McCain Archives at the University of Southern Mississippi at Hattiesburg, Mississippi and the Mississippi Department of Archives and History at Jackson, Mississippi.  An index of these articles, which are concerned with the chronology of Ocean Springs, Mississippi follow:

BELLANDE INDEX

 of Historical Articles in The Ocean Springs Record

 

1993

May 13, 1993, How Ocean Springs Streets Were Named

May 20, 1993, ditto, part II

May 27, 1993, ditto, part III

June 3, 1993, ditto, part IV

June 10, 1993, ditto, part V

June 17, 1993, The Ocean Springs State Bank

June 24, 1993, ditto, part II

July 1, 1993, A Railroad man and a park: Charles Marshall (1848-1928)

July 8, 1993, Fort Maurepas then and now

July 15, 1993, ditto, part II

July 22, 1993, Herman John Nill (1863-1904)

July 29, 1993, ditto, part II

August 5, 1993, ditto, part III

August 12, 1993, Historic Lover's Lane

August 19, 1993, The Veronica Trial: May 1903

August 26, 1993, ditto, part II

September 2, 1993, Hotels and tourist homes of Ocean Springs' past

September 9, 1993, ditto, repeated because of errors by OS Record.

September 16, 1993-Did (does) your house have a name?

September 23, 1993, ditto, part II

September 30, 1993, ditto, part III

October 7, 1993, ditto, part IV

October 14, 1993, Parker Earle (1831-1917)

October 21, 1993, ditto, part II

October 28, 1993, ditto, part III

November 4, 1993, Anna Louise Benjamin (1848-1938)

November 11, 1993, William Gray Kendall (1812-1872) 

November 18, 1993, ditto, part II

November 25, 1993, The Schmidt Bakery Shop (1901-1993)

December 2, 1993, ditto, part II

December 9, 1993, Farmers and Merchants State Bank Building (1913-1993)

December 16, 1993, ditto, part II

December 23, 1993, ditto, part III

December 30, 1993, The Rose Farm: 1887-1993

 

1994

January 6, 1994, ditto, part II

January 13, 1994, ditto, part III

January 20, 1994, ditto, part IV

January 27, 1994, Charlie Dryden (1860-1931): King of the Baseball writers

February 3, 1994, Edward Antoine Bellande (1897-1976): The Ocean Springs Eagle

February 10, 1994, ditto, part II

February 17, 1994, John M. Tracy (1842-1893): America's great sporting painter

February 24, 1994, ditto, part II

March 3, 1994, Jeff Davis Holloway (1861-1938): The Jeff-L&N Nos. 35 and 36

March 10, 1994, Capt. Francis O' Neill (1849-1936) and Glengariff (1914-1971)

March 17, 1994, The Shanahan House (1894-1919)

March 24, 1994, Early Irish families of Ocean Springs

March 31, 1994, ditto, part II

April 7, 1994, ditto, part III

April 14, 1994, ditto, part IV

April 21, 1994, Past d'Iberville Landing Commemorations

April 28, 1994, The Big Ridge School: 1890-1914

May 5, 1994, The Terry Courts: 1943-1957

May 12, 1994, The L&N Depot: 1907-1994

May 19, 1994, The Beach-New Beach Hotel: 1899-1921

May 26, 1994, ditto, part II

June 2,1994, The Artesian House: 1891-1936

June 9, 1994, ditto, part II

June 16, 1994, William Woodward painted the town in 1891

June 23, 1994, A History of the American Legion-Jaycee Hut

June 30, 1994, ditto, part II

July 7, 1994, The Emma Harvey: A tale of the July Storm 1916

July 14, 1994, ditto, part II

July 21, 1994, ditto, part III

July 28, 1994, Carter-Calloway House: "Steamboat House"

August 4, 1994, Who was the Widow LaFontaine?

August 11, 1994, The Poitevent Family

August 18, 1994, ditto, part II

August 25, 1994, ditto, part III

September 1, 1994, Freedom Field: The Ocean Springs Greyhounds 1949-1952

September 8, 1994, ditto, part II

September 15, 1994, Ocean Springs Hotel Wharf: Walker v. Egan (1855)

September 22, 1994, ditto, part II

September 29, 1994, Dorothy Dell (1914-1934): Our first movie star

October 6, 1994, The Babendrier Cemetery

October 13, 1994, ditto, part II

October 20, 1994, The Civil War Comes to Ocean Springs

October 27, 1994, ditto, part II

November 3, 1994, Medicine Men of Ocean Springs

November 10, 1994, ditto, part II

November 17, 1994, ditto, part III

November 24, 1994, ditto, part IV

December 1, 1994, ditto, part V

December 8, 1994, ditto, part VI

December 15, 1994, ditto, part VII

December 22, 1994, ditto, part VIII

December 29, 1994, ditto part IX

 

1995

 January 5, 1995, The Ramsay-Anderson Vancleave Store

January 12, 1995, ditto, part II

January 19, 1995, Pre-Shearwater Pottery History: (1837-1918)

January 26, 1995, ditto, part II

February 2, 1995, The Simmons-Gregory House: 1911-1995

February 9, 1995, ditto, part II

February 16, 1995, Antonio Catchot's Oyster Shop

February 23, 1995, ditto, part II

March 2, 1995, Frank H. Bryan House: (1910-1995)

March 9, 1995, ditto, part II

March 16, 1995, Lundy-McClure Family

March 23, 1995, ditto, part II

March 30, 1995, ditto, part III

April 6, 1995, Van Cleave-Wilson Cottage (1888-1995)

April 13, 1995, ditto, part II

April 20, 1995, ditto, part III

April 27, 1995, Lawton Carver (1903-1973)

May 4, 1995, The Mayors of Ocean Springs: 1892-1993

May 11, 1995, ditto, part II (2nd Anniversary of Sous Les Chenes)

May 18, 1995, ditto, part III

May 25, 1995, ditto, part IV

June 1, 1995, ditto, part V

June 8, 1995 ditto, part VI

June 15, 1995, ditto, part VII

June 22, 1995 ditto, part VIII

June 29, 1995 ditto, part IX

July 6, 1995, ditto, part X

July 13, 1995, ditto, part XI

July 20, 1995, ditto, part XII

July 27, 1995, Lurline S. Hall Remembers Ocean Springs

August 3, 1995, ditto, part II

August 10, 1995, ditto, part III

August 17, 1995, Heffner-Cosper-Dale Courts

August 24, 1995, ditto, part II

August 31, 1995, ditto, part III

September 7, 1995, Presbyterians and Old Creole Days

September 14, 1995, Joseph Fortune Meyer

September 21, 1995, Hollingsworth Family

September 28, 1995, ditto, part II

October 5, 1995, Illing Theatre

October 12, 1995, ditto, part II

October 19, 1995, Vieux Biloxy and Environs:1719-1720

October 26, 1995, ditto, part II

November 2, 1995, Young-Shanteau Garage

November 9, 1995, ditto, part II

November 16, 1995, Early Black Education in Ocean Springs

November 23, 1995, ditto, part II

November 30, 1995, Hansen-Widmer House:  520 Jackson

December 7, 1995, ditto, part II 

December 14, 1995, Fred Bradford: Master builder

December 21, 1995, ditto, part II

December 28, 1995, Seafood History

 

1996

January 4, 1996, Seafood History, part II

January 11, 1996, ditto, part III

January 18, 1996, ditto, part IV

January 25, 1996, ditto, part V

February 1, 1996, ditto, part VI

February 8, 1996, ditto, part VII

February 15, 1996, ditto, part VIII

February 22, 1996, ditto, part IX

February 29, 1996, ditto, part X

March 7, 1996, ditto, part XI

March 14, 1996, ditto, part XII

March 21, 1996, Jacques Bertuccini House: 619 Washington

March 28, 1996, The Ocean Springs Country Club: 1914-1918

April 4, 1996, W.B. Schmidt (1823-1901): Merchant Prince

April 11, 1996, ditto, part II

April 18, 1996, Ocean Springs: The Way We Were

April 25, 1996, ditto, part II

May 2, 1996, ditto, part III

May 9, 1996, ditto, part IV

May 16, 1996, ditto, part V-(3rd Anniversary),

May 23, 1996, ditto, part VI

May 30, 1996, ditto, part VII

June 6, 1996, The Arndt Cottage: 1895-1996

June 13, 1996, ditto, part II

June 20, 1996, The 1878 and 1897 Yellow Fever Epidemics

June 27, 1996, ditto, part II

July 4, 1996, ditto, part III

July 11, 1996, The 1893 Hurricane: The Great October Storm

July 18, 1996, Maginnis Estate: Post-bellum-1925

July 25, 1996, ditto, part II

August 1, 1996, After the 1916 Fire: OS Fire Co. No. 1

August 8, 1996, Outback-Fort Bayou: Wool and Sheep

August 15, 1996, ditto, part II

August 22, 1996, Early History of St. Martin

August 29, 1996, ditto, part II

September 5, 1996, ditto, part III

September 12, 1996, ditto, Part IV

September 19, 1996, ditto, Part V

September 26, 1996, ditto, Part VI

October 3, 1996, ditto, Part VII

October 10, 1996, ditto, Part VIII

October 17, 1996, ditto, Part IX

October 24, 1996, ditto, Part X

October 31, 1996, A.E. Lee (1874-1936): Newspaper Legend

November 7, 1996, ditto

November 14, 1996, Oil and Gas Exploration: Jackson County, Miss.

November 21, 1996, ditto, part II

November 28, 1996, ditto, part III

December 5, 1996, ditto, part IV

December 12, 1996, ditto, part V

December 19, 1996, ditto, part VI

December 26, 1996, Newfoundland 1696-1996: Let the Tricentennials Begin

 

1997

January 2, 1997, Reverend Joseph B. Walker:  (1817-1897)

January 9, 1997, ditto, part II

January 16, 1997, Catchot-Lemon Building: (1897-1997)

January 23, 1997, ditto, part II

January 30, 1997, McLeod Lodge No. 424:  (1892-1928)

February 6, 1997, ditto, part II

February 13, 1997, Biloxi Bay Colonial Shipwrecks: Mystery Ship?

February 20, 1997, ditto, part II

February 27, 1997, ditto, part III

March 6, 1997, E.M. Westbrook House: 1897-1946

March 13, 1997, ditto, part II

March 20, 1997, Local Cemetery Histories

March 27, 1997, ditto, part II

April 3, 1997, ditto, part III

April 10, 1997, ditto, part IV

April 17, 1997, ditto, part V

April 24, 1997, ditto, part VI

May 1, 1997, ditto, part VII

May 8, 1997, ditto, part VIII

May 15, 1997, ditto, part IX (4th anniversary)

May 22, 1997, ditto, part X

May 29, 1997, Joseph B. Rose: Biscuits, Beans and Boats

June 7, 1997, ditto, part II

June 14, 1997, Dees' Landing On Bluff Creek

June 21, 1997, Charles E. Engbarth House: 1917-1997

June 28, 1997, ditto, part II

July 3, 1997, Some Early Methodist History

July 10, 1997, ditto, part II

July 17, 1997, Brother Isaiah (1847-1934):  "Miracle Man"

July 24, 1997, Wieder-Engbarth Garage-Pelham Building: (1920-1997)

July 31, 1997, ditto, part II

August 7, 1997, Little Children's Park: A glorious gift

August 14, 1997, ditto, part II

August 21, 1997, East Beach: The Sullivan Era (1890-1910)

August 28, 1997, ditto, part II

September 4, 1997, ditto, part III

September 11, 1997, ditto, part IV

September 18, 1997, ditto, part V

September 25, 1997, ditto, part VI

October 2, 1997, ditto, part VII

October 9, 1997, ditto, part VIII

October 16, 1997, ditto, part IX

October 23, 1997, ditto, part X

October 30, 1997, ditto, part XI

November 6, 1997, Harvey Ferry Landing: A 19th Century Back Bay Steam Ferry Quay

November 13, 1997, ditto, part II

November 20, 1997, Young-Steelman Building: fenders, Fords, and food

November 27, 1997, ditto, part II

December 4, 1997, Clement-Jacobs House: The Porter House

December 11, 1997, ditto, part II

December 18, 1997, ditto, part III

December 25, 1997, Bellande-Cosentino House: 1897-1997

 

1998

January 1, 1998, Bellande-Consentino House: 1897-1997 (part II)

January 8, 1998, Early Seymour Family Settlements

January 15, 1998, ditto, part II

January 22, 1998, ditto, part III

January 29, 1998, ditto, part IV

February 5, 1998, ditto part V

February 12, 1998, ditto, part VI

Febraury 19, 1998, ditto, part VII

February 26, 1998, ditto, part VIII

March 5, 1998, A History of D'Iberville, Mississippi

March 12, 1998, ditto, part II

March 19, 1998, ditto, part II (reran because of errors)

March 26, 1998, ditto, part III

April 2,1998, The Royal Flush: Ocean Spring's Racing Catboat

April 9, 1998, ditto, part II

April 16, 1998, Clark-Reinike House: 1904-1998

April 23, 1998, ditto, part II

April 30, 1998, West Jackson County Naval Stores: 1860-1950

May 7, 1998, ditto, part II

May 14, 1998, ditto, part III (5th Anniversary)

May 21, 1998, ditto part IV

May 28, 1998, ditto, part V

June 4, 1998, ditto, part VI

June 11, 1998, ditto, part VII

June 18, 1998, Hanson-Wilson House: Shadowlawn (1907-1998)

June 25, 1998, ditto, part II

July 2, 1998, ditto, part III

July 9, 1998, ditto, part IV

July 16, 1998, The Spanish-American War at Ocean Springs: 1898

July 23, 1998, ditto, part II

July 30, 1998, ditto, part III

August 6, 1998, ditto, part IV

August 13, 1998, ditto, part V

August 20, 1998,Geiger-Friar House: 1898-1998

August 27, 1998, ditto, part II

September 3, 1998,ditto, part III

September 10, 1998, A History of Vancleave (Bluff Creek): 1720-1998

September 17, 1998, ditto, part II

September 24, 1998, ditto, part III

October 1, 1998, (Hurricane Georges-rained out)

October 8, 1998, ditto, part IV

October 15, 1998, ditto, part V

October 22, 1998, ditto, part VI

October 29, 1998, ditto, part VII

November 5, 1998, ditto, part VIII

November 12, 1998, ditto, part IX

November 19, 1998, ditto, X

November 26, 1998, ditto, XI

December 3, 1998, ditto, XII

December 10, 1998, ditto XIII

December 17, 1998, ditto XIV

December 24, 1998, ditto XV

December 31, 1998, ditto XVI

 

1999

 

January 7, 1999, A History of Vancleave (Bluff Creek): 1720-1999, (part XVII)

January 14,1999, ditto, part XVIII

January 21, 1999, ditto, part XIX

January 28, 1999, ditto, XX

February 4, 1999, ditto, XXI

February 11, 1999, ditto XXII

February 18, 1999, ditto. XXIII

February 25, 1999, ditto, XXIV

March 4, 1999, ditto, XXV

March 11, 1999, From Ocean Springs To The Big Apple: The Stuart-Smith Families

March 18, 1999, The Newcomb-Dick House: “Dogwood Place”-1916-1999

March 25, 1999, ditto, part II

April 1, 1999, The C.W. Madison Railroad Cottages: 1891-1999

April 8, 1999, Enemy Corsair Attacks Pascagoula: September 4, 1805

April 15, 1999, The Crash Boat Base: 1943-1946

April 22, 1999, ditto, part II

April 29, 1999, ditto, part III

May 6, 1999, The 1927 Ocean Springs High School

May 13, 1999 ditto, part II, (6th Anniversary)

May 20, 1999, ditto, part III

May 27, 1999, Judge Paul M. W. Linebarger (1871-1939): Sun Yat-sen’s American Emissary

June 3, 1999, A 20th Century Chronology of Ocean Springs

June 10, 1999, ditto, part II

June 17, 1999, ditto, part III

June 24, 1999, ditto, part IV

July 1, 1999, ditto, part V

July 8, 1999, ditto, part VI

July 15, 1999, ditto, part VII

July 22, 1999, ditto, part VIII

July 29, 1999, ditto, part IX

August 5, 1999, ditto, part X

August 12, 1999, ditto, part XI

August 19, 1999, ditto, part XII

August 26, 1999, The Vaughan-Hire House: 1112 Bowen (1895-1999)

September 2, 1999, ditto, part II

September 9, 1999, Mary Cahill O’Keefe (1893-1980)

September 16, 1999, ditto, part II

September 23, 1999, ditto, part III

September 30, 1999, ditto, part IV

October 7, 1999, ditto, part V

October 14, 1999, John Bacon Lyon (1829-1904): New Chicago

October 21, 1999, ditto, part II

October 28, 1999, Art Who? Who’s Inn? 623 Washington Avenue (1911-1999)

November 4, 1999, ditto, part II

November 11, 1999, ditto, part III

November 18, 1999, Fernando Upton Gautier (1822-1891): From Whence He Came

November 25, 1999, Catchot’s Grocery and Market, 1111 Calhoun Ave. (1847-1957)

December 2, 1999, ditto, part II

December 9, 1999, Shadows Under The Oaks: Vanguards of the 20th Century

December 16, 1999, ditto, part II

December 23, 1999, ditto, part III

December 30, 1999, ditto, part IV

 

2000

                 

January 6, 2000,Shadows Under The Oaks: Vanguards of the 20th Century, part V

January 13, 2000, ditto, part VI

January 20, 2000, ditto, part VII

January 27, 2000, ditto, part VIII

February 3, 2000, ditto, part IX

February 10, 2000, ditto, part X

February 17, 2000, ditto, part XI

February  24, 2000, ditto, part XII

March 2, 2000, ditto, part XIII

March 9, 2000, ditto, part XIV

March 16, 2000, ditto, part XV

March 23, 2000, ditto, part XVI

March 30, 2000, ditto, part XVII

April 6, 2000, ditto, part XVIII

April 13, 2000, Bayou Puerto: A pre-Gulf Hills Chronology

April 20, 2000, ditto, part II

April 27, 2000, ditto, part III

May 4, 2000, ditto, part IV

May 11, 2000, ditto, part V

May 18, 2000, ditto, part VI

May 25, 2000, ditto, part VII

June 1, 2000, ditto, part VIII

June 8, 2000, ditto, part IX

June 15, 2000, ditto, part X

June 22, 2000, ditto, part XI

June 29, 2000, ditto, part XII

July 6, 2000, ditto, part XIII

July 13, 2000, ditto, part XIV

July 20, 2000, ditto, part XV

July 27, 2000, ditto, part XVI

August 3, 2000, ditto, part XVII

August 10, 2000, ditto, part XVIII

August 17, 2000, ditto, part XIX

August 24, 2000, ditto, part XX

August 31, 2000, ditto, part XXI

September 7, 2000, ditto, part XXI

September 14, 2000, ditto, part XXII

September 21, 2000, ditto, part XXIII

September 28, 2000, ditto, part XXIV

September 5, 2000, ditto, part XXV

October 12, 2000, ditto, part XXVI

October 19, 2000, The Hamill Family: From Chicago to Fountainebleau, Mississippi

October 26, 2000, ditto, part II

November 2, 2000, part III

November 9, 2000, ditto, part IV

November 16, 2000, ditto, part V

November 22, 2000, November 30, 2000, Marshals of Ocean Springs 1892-1953

December 7, 2000, ditto, part, II

December 14, 2000, ditto, part III

December 23, 2000, ditto, part IV

December 30, 2000, ditto, part V

 

2001

January 4, 2001, 19th Century White Education at Ocean Springs

January 11, 2001, ditto, part II

January 18, 2001, ditto, part III

January 25, 2001, ditto, part IV

February 1, 2001, ditto, part V

February 8, 2001, ditto, part VI

February 15, 2001, The Lang-Madsen Cottage (1894-2001): 1103 Calhoun Avenue

February 22, 2001, ditto, part II

March 1, 2001, ditto, An Early Black History of Ocean Springs

March 8, 2001, ditto, part II

March 15, 2001, (writer suspended articles for disagreement with the editor)

 

2001

(James and Cindy Ricketts acquire The Ocean Springs Record from Gannett and invite the writer to return)

September 27, 2001, “Calhoun Avenue”

October 4, 2001, “Narcisse J. Seymour Oyster House”

October 11, 2001, “Ocean Springs State Bank Building”

October 18, 2001, “The Richter Family and General Store and Post Office at Fontainebleau”

October 25, 2001, ditto, part II

November 1, 2001, "St. John’s Episcopal Church:1891-1892"

November 8, 2001, ditto, reran part I due to technical errors

November 15, 2001, ditto, part II

November 22, 2001, Glengariff

November 29, 2001, Davis Brothers Store

December 6, 2001, part II

December 13, 2001, part III

December 20, 2001, part IV

December 27, 2001, part V

 

2002

January 3, 2002, Davis Brothers Store, part VI

January 10, 2002, part VII, part VII

January 17, 2002, part VIII

January 24, 2002, part IX

January 31, 2002, Case-Russell Home: (1881-1933)

February 7, 2002, part, II

February 14, 2002, Lytton-Meyer House: Villa del Mare (1928-2002)

February 21, 2002, The Pines Hotel Property: (1915-2002)-219 Washington Avenue

February 28, 2002, part II

March 7, 2002, part III

March 14, 2002, part IV

March 21, 2002, An Early Black History of Ocean Springs

March 28, 2002, part II

April 4, 2002, part III

April 11, 2002, part IV

April 18, 2002, part V

April 25, 2002, part VI

May 2, 2002, part VII

May 9, 2002, part VIII

May 16, 2002, part IX

May 23, 2002, part X

May 30, 2002, part XI

June 6, 2002, part XII

June 13, 2002, part XIII

June 20, 2002, part XIV

June 27, 2002, part XV

July 4, 2002, part XVI

July 11, 2002, part XVII

July 18, 2002, part XVIII

July 25, 2002, Henry L. Girot and Cherokee Glen

August 1, 2002, part II

August 8, 2002, part III

August 15, 2002, part IV

August 22, 2002, part V

August 29, 2002, part VI

September 5, 2002, The Biloxi Boys: Meyer, Ohr, and Jalanivich

September 12, 2002, part II

September 19, 2002, part III

September 26, 2002, part IV

October 3, 2002, part V

October 10, 2002, part VI

October 17, 2002, VII

October 24, 2002, VIII

October 31, 2002 IX

November 7, 2002, part X

November 14, 2002, part XI

November 21, 2002, Early 20th Century Swedish Families

November 28, 2002, part II

December 5, 2002, part III

December 12, 2002, K.C. Maxwell “Boy Scout Hut” Cottage: 525 Jackson Avenue

December 19, 2002, part II

December 26, 2002, part III

 

2003

January 2, 2003, Honor-Redding Cottage: 608 Cleveland Avenue

January 9, 2003, part II

January 16, 2003, Old Fort Bayou: Ferries and Bridges (1875-2002)

January 23, 2003, part II

January 30, 2003, part III

February 6, 2003, part IV

February 13, 2003, part V

February 20, 2003, part VI

February 27, 2003, Clarence W. Gormly: Founder of Gulf Hills

March 6, 2003, part II

March 13, 2003, part III

March 20, 2003, part IV

March 27, 2003, German Families of Ocean Springs-Arndt

April 3, 2003, part II

April 10, 2003, Bechtel, part III

April 17, 2003, part IV

April 24, 2003, part V

May 1, 2003, Behrens, part VI

May 8, 2003, Bellman, part VII

May 15, 2003, part VIII

May 22, 2003, part IX

May 29, 2003, part X

June 5, 2003, part XI

June 12, 2003, Beuhler, part XII

June 19, 2003, Boes, Buttner, part XIII

June 26, 2003, part XIV

July 3, 2003, Domning, part XV

July 10, 2003, part XVI

July 17, 2003, part XVIII

July 24, 2003, part XIX

July 31, 2003, part XX

August 7, 2003, part XXI

August 14, 2003, part XXII

August 21, 2003, part XXIII

August 28, 2003, Eglin, part XXIV

September 4, 2003, part XXV

September 11, 2003, part XXVI

September 18, 2003, part XXVII

September 25, Endt, 2003, part XXVIII

October 2, 2003, part XXIX

October 9, 2003, Engbarth, part XXX

October 16, 2003, part XXXI

October 23, 2003, part XXXII

October 30, 2003, Forkert. part XXXIII

November 6, 2003, Geiger, Goos, Gottsche, part XXXIV

November 13, 2003, part XXXV

November 20, 2003, part XXXVI

November 27, 2003, Granitz, Hellmers, part XXXVII

December 4, 2003, Hoffman, part XXXVIII

December 11, 2003, part XXXIX

December 18, 2003, HovelmeirIlling, part XL

December 25, 2003, XLI

 

2004

January 1, 2004, Joachim, part XLII

January 8, 2004, part XLIII

January 15, 2004, part XLIV

January 22, 2004, XLV

January 29, 2004, Kuppersmith, Letzler, Lorenzen, part LVI

February 5, 2004, Mohler, XLVII

February 12, 2004, XLVIII

February 19, 2004, XLIX

February   26, 2004-Mardi Gras-no article

March 4, 2004, part L

March 11, 2004, Pabst, part LI

March 18, 2004, Pfefferle, Rehage, part LII

March 25, 2004, LIII

April 1, 2004, Riehm, Rupp, part LIV

April 8, 2004, part LV

April 15, 2004, Scharr, part LVI

April 22, 2004, part LVII

April 29, 2004, Schluter, Schmidt, part LVIII

May 6, 2004, part LIX

May 13, 2004, Schrieber, part LX

May 20, 2004, part LXI

May 27, 2004, Sidenstricker, part LXII

June 3, 2004, von Rosambeau, part LXIII

June 10, 2004, part LXIV

June 17, 2004, part LXV

June 24, 2004, part LXVI

July 1, 2004, part LXVII

July, 8, 2004, Weyerstall, part, LXVIII

July 15, 2004, Wieder, part LXIX

July 22, 2004, part LXX

July 29, 2004, A History of Lovers LaneThe Fort Point Peninsula

August 5, 2004, part II

August 12, 2004, part III

August 19, 2004, part IV

August 26, 2004, part V

September 2, 2004, part VI

September 9, 2004, part VII

September 16, 2004, part VIII

September 23, 2004, part XI

September 30, 2004, part X

October 7, 2004, part XI

October 14, 2004, part XII

October 21, 2004, part XIII

October 28, 2004, part XIV

November 4, 2004, part XV

November 11, 2004, part XVI

November 18, 2004, part XVII

November 25, 2004, part XVIII

December 2, 2004, part XIX

December 9, 2004, part XX

December 16, 2004, part XXI

December 23, 2004, part XXII

December 30, 2004, part XXIII

2005

January 6, 2005, part XXIV

January 13, 2005, part XXV

January 20, 2005, part XXVI

January 27, 2005, part XXVII

February 3, 2005, part XXVIII

February 10, 2005, part XXIX

February 17, 2005, part XXX

February 24, 2005, part XXXI

March 3, 2005, part XXXII

March 10, 2005, part XXXIII

March 17, 2005, part XXXIV

March 24, 2005, part XXXV

March 31, 2005, part XXXVI

April 7, 2005, part XXXVII

April 14, 2005, part XXXVIII

April 21, 2005, part XXXIX

April 28, 2005, part XL

May 5, 2005, part XLI

May 12, 2005, part XLII

May 19, 2005, part XLIII

May 26, 2005, part XLIV

June 2, 2005, -California vacation.  The Ocean Springs Record, published an old column.

June 9, 2005, -California vacation

June 16, 2005, California vacation

June 23, 2005, part XLV

June 30, 2005, part XLVI

July 7, 2005, part XLVII

July 14, 2005, part XLVIII

July 21, 2005, part XLIX

July 28, 2005, part L

August 4. 2005, part LI

August 11, 2005, part LII

August 18, 2005, part LIII

August 25, 2005, part LIV

September 1, 2005, part LV

June 23, 2005, part XLV 
June 30, 2005, part XLVI 
July 7, 2005, part XLVII 
July 14, 2005, part XLVIII 
July 21, 2005, part XLIX 
July 28, 2005, part L 
August 4. 2005, part LI 
August 11, 2005, part LII 
August 18, 2005, part LIII 
August 25, 2005, part LIV 
September 1, 2005, Hurricane Katrina 
September 8, 2005, Hurricane Katrina 
September 15, 2005, Hurricane Katrina 
September 22, 2005, Hurricane Katrina 
September 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina 
October 6, 2005, part LV 
October 13, 2005, part LVI 
October 20, 2005, part LVII 
October 27, 2005, part LVIII 
November 3, 2005, part LIV 
November 10, 2005, part LV 
November 17, 2005, part LVI 
November 24, 2005, part LVII 
December 1, 2005, Thanksgiving vacation 
December 8, 2005, part LVIII 
December 15, 2005, part LIX 
December 22, 2005, The Ruskin Hoaks: An Ocean Springs Hoax Tree, part I 

                                                                          2006 
January 5, 2006, part II 
January 12, 2006, part III 
January 19, 2006, A Postal History of Ocean Springs 
January 26, 2006, part II 
February 2, 2006, part III 
February 9, 2006, part IV 
February 16, 2006, part V 
February 23, 2006, part VI 
March 2, 2006, part VII 
March 9, 2006, part VIII 
March 16, 2006, part IX 
March 23, 2006, part X 
March 30, 2006, part XI 
April 6, 2006, part XII 
April 13, 2006, vacation 
April 20, 2006, part XIII 
April 27, 2006, part XIV 
May 4, 2006, part XV 
May 11, 2006, part XVI 
May 18, 2006, part XVII 
May 25, 2006, part XIII 
June 1, 2006, part XIX

June 8, 2006, part XX

June 15, 2006, part XXI

June 22, 2006, part XXII

June 29, 2006, part XXIII

July 6, 2006, part XXIV

July 13, 2006, part XXV

July 20, 2006, part XXVI

July 27, 2006, part XXVII

August 3, 2006, part XXVIII

August 10, 2006, part XXIX

August 17, 2006, part XXX

August 24, 2006, part XXXI

August 31, 2006, part XXXII

September 7, 2006, part XXXIII

September 14, 2006, part XXXIV

September 21, 2006, part XXXV

September 28, 2006, part XXXVI

October 5, 2006, part XXXVII

October 12, 2006, part XXXVIII

October 19, 2006, part XXXIX

October 26, 2006, part lX

November 2, 2006, Lynch Academy

November 9, 2006, Knotzsch-Fussell House-305 Ward Avenue

November 16, 2006, Miss-La-Bama, Schmidt-Walker House: 243 Front Beach Drive

November 23, 2006, part II

November 30, 2006, part III

December 7, 2006, part IV

December 14, 2006, part V

December 21, 2006, part VI

December 28, 2006, Pace-Weldon Cottage: “Hill Top”-207 Washington Avenue

                                                                         

                                                                                     2007

January 4, 2007, Pace-Weldon Cottage, part II

January 11, 2007, part III

January 18, 2007, Hansen-Hanemann Cottage-305 Front Beach Drive

January 25, 2007, part II

February 1, 2007, part II [rerun]

February 8, 2007, Honor-Attaya House-422 Martin Avenue

February 15, 2007, part II

February 22, 2007, part III

March 1, 2007, part IV

March 8, 2007, Mestier-Carter House-213 Washington Avenue

March 15, 2007, part II

March 22, 2007, part III

March 29, 2007, part IV

April 5, 2007, Hellmers-Duckett Cottage-918 Calhoun Avenue

April 12, 2007, part II

April 19, 2007, part III

April 29, 2007, part IV

May 3, 2007, part V

May 10. 2007, J.J. Garrard House-1119 Iberville Drive

May 17, 2007, part II

May 24, 2007, part III

May 31, 2007, part IV

June 7, 2007, Gulf Hills-a prologue

June 14, 2007, Gulf Hills-a sneak preview

June 21, 2007, Gulf Hills: 80 years on America's Riviera

June 28, 2007, part II

July 5, 2007, part III

July 12, 2007, part IV

July 19, 2007, The Ocean Springs Record was sold to Bay Newspapers, Inc. on July 16th, 2007.  Au revoir James and Cindy Ricketts!

July 26, 2007, on vacation

August 2, 2007, new staff omits photograph.  must re-run.

 

VINTAGE VILLAGE VUES

August 9, 2007, Gulf Hills Horse Riders

August 16, 2007, Gulf Hills: 1956-The Elvis Summer

August 23, 2007, Gulf Hills: Pre-Opening Exhibition Match, Christmas Day 1926

August 30, 2007, Gulf Hills: On the Gulf Hills Course, 1926-1928

September 6, 2007, Gulf Hills Before the Branigar Brothers

September 13, 2007, The Branigar Brothers

September 20, 2007, part II

September 27, 2007, Gulf Hills: Pre-Branigar

October 4, 2007, part II

October 11, 2007, part III
October 18, 2007, part IV

October 25, 2007, part V

November 1, 2007, part VI

November 8, 2007, on vacation

November 15, 2007, part VII

November 22, 2007, [Willy Dale flawed]

November 29, 2007, not published

December 6, 2007, not published

December 13, 2007, not published

December 20, 2007, not published

December 27, 2007, Remembering Willy Dale (1899-1990)

 

2008

January 3, 2008, not published

January 10, 2008, part II

January 17, 2008, part III

January 24, 2008, part IV

January 31, 2008, part V

February 7, 2008, part VI

February 14, 2008, part VII

February 21, 2008, part VIII

February, 28, 2008, part IX

March 6, 2008, C.W. Parker Store-Old Spanish Trail

March 13, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe (1891-1985): The General

March 20, 2008, Harbor Landing

March 27, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe, part II and Harbor Landing, part II

April 3, 2008, Harbor Landing, part III

April 10, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe, part III

April 17, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe, part IV

April 24, 2008, Baywalk and Watch

May 1, 20008, Harbor Landing, part IV

May 8, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe, part VI

May 15, 2008, John A.W. O'Keefe, part VI and Displaced tombstone [Mable Nash (1880-1923)] uncovered in Latimer

May 22, 2008, Iberville Landing painting evokes memories and Displaced tombstone [Mable Nash (1880-1923)] returned to Cemetery

June 26, 2008, The Ocean Springs Record: a history from 1965-2008

July 3, 2008, part II

July 10, 2008, A home at last [Mable Nash (1880-1923)]

July 31, 2008, Historic clock in for repairs  [Ocean Springs State Bank-Hancock Bank clock]

July 31, 2008, Tick-tock, no mo' clock?  [Ocean Springs State Bank-Hancock Bank clock]

December 4, 2008, Van Cleave-Smith Cottage 528 Jackson Avenue and Armstrong-Boyd Cottage 608 Catchot Place

 

2009

Coast Wise

March 5, 2002, The White House in Dixie

March 12, 2009, part II

March 19, 2009, part III

March 26, 2009, part IV

 

April 2, 2009, A History of Popp's Ferry

April 9, 2009, part II

April 16, 2009, part III

April 23, 2009, The History behind the new sports complex

May 7, 2009, A History of Popp's Ferry, part IV

May 14, 2009, part V

May 21, 2009, part VI

June 4, 2009, part VII

June 11, 2009, part VIII

June 18, 2009, part IX

June 25, 2009, part X

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

The Ocean Springs Gazette

It Happened Here in Ocean Springs

August 19, 2009, Fort Maurepas [1699-2009]: yesterday, today, and tomorrow-Part I

August 26, 2009, part II

September 2, 2009, part III

September 9, 2009, part IV

September 16, 2009, part V

September 23, 2009, part VI

September 30, 2009, part VII

October 7, 2009, Who Was The Widow LaFontaine?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The Ocean Springs Gazette and The Ocean Springs Record

February 4, 2010, BSA Troop-1946 [photo and caption]

2011

February 24, 2011, The McEvoy-Usner Cottage

March 2, 2011, part II

March 9, 2011, part III

March 16, 2011, part IV

March 23, 2011, part IV [rerun]

March 30, 2011, part V

April 7, 2011, part VI

April 14, 2011, Part VII

April 21, 2011, part VIII

April 28, 2011, part IX

May 4, 2011, part X

May 11, 2011, part XI

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Courthouse Research

I.                   Chancery Court Records

a.      Warranty Deeds and Deeds of Trust

b.      Wills and Probates

c.      Tax receipts

d.      Sectional indices

e.      Land maps and tax maps

f.        Divorce proceedings

g.      Board of Supervisor Minutes

h.      Land conveyance indices (direct and indirect)

i.        County archives-diaries, family photographs, etc.

j.        Aerial photographs

 

II.                Circuit Court

a.      Marriage records

b.      Voter registration

c.      Criminal cases

 

Others

III.             Public markers

a.      Cemetery tombstones and mausoleums

b.      Memorials and art works

            c.   Plaques and corner stones

 

RAY L. BELLANDE

PO BOX 617

OCEAN SPRINGS, MISSISSIPPI 39566-0617

(228) 424-6041