Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

2000 - 2018

 

 

 

2018

LaFontaine

        1991                                                                            December 2017

 

 

General Pershing

 

Government Street

 

2017

 

 

 

 

2016

November

504 Dewey Avenue

John H. Seymour and Lydia Beaugez Seymour House

  pre- 1950s                                         November 2016

 

 

November 21, 2016                                       November 22, 2016

                                 

March 2017

 

January 12, 2018.  

DeFata House completed by Dan Resch, contractor in late December 2017.

____________________________________________

BP Station 

1501 Bienville Boulevard

[from The Ocean Springs Record, September 2, 1965, p. 1]

 

[L-R: images made May 2011 and November 1997]

 

[L-R: Images made October 3, 2016 and November 7, 2016

___________________________________________________

September-October

508 Martin Avenue

July 1997

October 2016                                               December 10, 2016                                             January 3, 2017

 

Elisha 'Joe" Miller house

 

__________________________________________________________

September

207 Dewey Avenue

207 Dewey Avenue

[images made August 1997 and September 7, 2016]

 

[L-R: images made October 1, 2016; October 1, 2016; and October 29, 2016]

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________

Wal-Mart

North Washington Avenue

June 20, 2016

Built by White-Spunner [Mobile, Alabama]

________________________________________________________________________

408 Pine Hills Drive

June 2016                                                             January 15, 2017

______________________________________________________________________

400 Jackson Avenue

 

June 2, 2016                                                                    June 20, 2016                                                                        June 29, 2016

 

    July 7, 2016                                        July 20, 2016                          January 15, 2017

 

 

 

Lloyd and Moza Hebert spec house

______________________________________________________

May 

525 Porter

Clark-Burns House

Built by Colonel Newcomb Clark in 1904

 

Newcomb Clark

Newcomb Clark (1836-1913) was a native of Sullivan County, New York.  At an early age, his family moved to Oakland County in southeastern Michigan.  In 1857, Clark taught school at Port Gibson, Mississippi.  When the Civil War commenced, he returned to Michigan where he enlisted in the 14th Michigan Infantry. 

 

In May 1863, Newcomb Clark resigned from the Union Army to care for his ill mother.  By this time, he had achieved the rank of First Lieutenant.  Clark returned to the military in late 1864, to command the 102nd U.S.C.T., the only African-American unit from Michigan.  With the cessation of hostilities in the Spring of 1865, Clark had attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.  After the Civil War, Newcomb Clark located to West Bay City, Michigan.  Here he married Ellen Chambers (1843-1915), a native of Atherton Settlement, Michigan.  Clark was very active in civic affairs at West Bay City.  He officiated as president (mayor), tax assessor, recorder, and postmaster here.  In 1883, Newcomb Clark won a seat in the Michigan State Legislature running as a Republican.  During his four-year term, he was selected as Speaker of the House.

 

In 1888, the Clarks moved to Ocean Springs.  It is believed they came South to escape the harsh winters of Michigan, and for Newcomb to speculate in real estate.  At Ocean Springs, Colonel Clark was very active in real estate.  He owned land at present day East Beach, the Fort Bayou area, and scattered tracts throughout town.    In the early 1890s, the Clarks sold large estate tracts from the James Fitch Bradford patent (Lots 2-3, Section 32, T7S-R8W), on East Beach to two Chicagoans, lumberman, James Charnley, and Albert Sullivan, General Superintendent of the Illinois Central Railroad.  Renown architect, Louis Henri Sullivan (1856-1924), with the assistance of his apprentice, Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959), designed and built summer cottages for himself and Charnley here.  Sullivan’s Cottage was destroyed by Hurricane Karina of August 2005.

 

The Clark-Reinike House on Porter Avenue was built in 1904.  The Progress, the local journal, announced on May 14, 1904, "Newcomb Clark is clearing a lot on Porter and preparing to erect a cottage".  The Clarks were residing at "Poplar Glen" in 1894 and "The Poplars" in 1898. 

 

At present day 525 Porter, Colonel Clark built a Queen Anne-Stick Style two-story, wood frame residence with a gable roof.  The front eave featured imbricated shingles.  Through the years renovations have enclosed the side porch with glass, added vinyl siding, and altered the front entrance.

 

The Pascagoula-Democrat Star reported in October 1906, "Ocean Springs will lead this winter in automobiling.  Mr. Fred Benjamin and Colonel Newcomb Clark have purchased autos which are in transit to our town".  In April of the same year, that very journal stated "Dr. H.B. Powell is quite to the force in his possession and use of the first auto.  He is a very considerate chauffeur and no accidents have yet occurred".  Orey A. Young, Jr. (1892-1986) contended that his father, Orey A. Young (1868-1938), owned the first automobile at Ocean Springs.  It was a 1905 Oldsmobile.  The garage where Colonel Clark stored his "Reo" is still extant.  It now serves as a cottage at the rear of the Reinike House.

 

In September 1911, Newcomb Clark suffered a paralytic stroke while on his summer vacation at Chicago.  The malady left him practically helpless and confined to his bed at the Warner Hotel.  Mrs. Clark was with her husband and accompanied him back to Ocean Springs.(The Ocean Springs News, September 30, 1911)

 

Colonel Newcomb Clark passed on to his heavenly reward at Ocean Springs in September 1913.  Ellen Clark followed her husband in death departing this world in April 1915.  She legated the house to William Engbarth, a neighbor, who had cared for the childless Clarks in their old age.(Jackson County, Ms. Chancery Court Will Book 2, pp. 253-254)

 

 

 

 

525 Porter

January 3, 2017

 

Michael Burns-Contractor Village by Randy Hagan

Permitted May 2016

___________________________________________

May

604 Porter

 

 

Clements-Porter House

January 3, 2017

The Roost and offices of Joseph Cloyd, Adam Dial and Ted Condreay

___________________________________________________

520 Dewey Avenue

former structure demolished December 2012

 

west elevation-April 12, 2016.  James Ealy and crew erecting the foundation.  June 12, 2016 awaiting roof.

 

Brad and Terry Ginn Lemon House

[erected from April 2016 to November 2016]

 

_____________________________________________________________________

Magnolia Street Park

Magnolia Street Park

[image made February 8, 2016]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2016

303 Dewey Avenue

Garlon Homes

                                                                                                            January 7, 2016                        January 26, 2016              February 8, 2016               March 8, 2016

 

March 25, 2016                                          July 10, 2016

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

December 2015

 

YMCA 

1810 Government Street

[L-R: images September 1997 and made December 7, 2015]

Bruce Tolar, AIA, designed sheleter for local bus patrons.

 

________________________________________________________________

November 2015

111 Clark Lane-"Marseille"

111 Clark Lane

[L-R: images made November 11, 2015; December 7, 2015; December 11, 2015; February 9, 2016]

 

 

March 22,  2016 and April 12, 2016

  

May 15, 2016 and December 15, 2016

 

 

                                   

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

                                                                                                                      November 2015                                                                                                                          

 512 Dewey Avenue

 

512 Dewey [pre-demolition 2012]

512 Dewey

[L-R: November 3, 2015; December 21, 2015; January 12, 2016; February 7, 2016; and August 17, 2016]

                                               Lane House by Lane Construction and was completed in August 2016.

________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2015

Mosaic Church

Craig Smith, contractor

[L-R: first two images made in November 2015;

Located in the Bienville Square shopping center on Bienville Boulevard [US Highway 90].  Luckey & Guice building to Mosaic Church in 2015.

Completed December 2016

 

______________________________________________________________________________

October 2015

 

1604 Kensington Drive

Jeff Williams, contractor

[L-R: October 30. 2015; December 1, 2015; December 21, 2015; January 12, 2016; February 8, 2016; and July 21, 2016]

_____________________________________________________________________

October 2015

          October 2015                                                                        completed June 2016

101 Spanish Point

[spec house built by Tim Smith for 

__________________________________________________________________________

September 2015

1101 Government Street

                                                                                                                                            March 1993                                                      May 2011  

Earl Keys and Myrtle Keys Home and clothes cleaning and alterations shop-demolished September 2015

 

replaced by

Matthew Stebly-Twisted Anchor Tatoo Parlor and Art Gallery

   September 2015                                                October 15, 2015               

                                                                                               November 2015                                                       December 2015                                              February 1, 2016

   

 

March 20, 2016

1101 Government Street

John Austin Maugh, contractor

____________________________________________________

 

Lewis House addition-Ruskin Avenue

August 2015

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

                                                                                         June 2015                                                                                       October 2015                                                    

 

February 2016

Polk Drug Store-North Washington Avenue

_________________________________________________

June 2015

1112 LaFontaine

Dr. Waddell's  House before demolition in 2014.

1112 LaFontaine

[L-R: images made June 13, 2015, July 14, 2015, August 24, 2015, October 10, 2015; December 3, 2015; completed January 2016]

 

March 20, 2016

Dan Resch, contractor

_________________________________________

June 2015

[L-R: June 2015; January 7, 2016; January 26, 2016]

 

March 20, 2016                                                                                                                                                                                                   August 21, 2016

 

 

100 Washington Avenue - "Stonehenge"

Frank Jenkins-Brandon, Mississippi owner

Charles Weems, contractor

________________________________________________

June 2015

"Hoddy Toddy House"

423 Dewey Avenue

[L-R: June 6, 2015; June 28, 2015; July 14, 2015; September 5, 2015; October 20, 2015]

 

423 Dewey Avenue

[January 7, 2016]

________________________________________________

April 2014

Trehern House

Front Beach Drive

Craig Smith, contractor;

[L-R: May 2015 [south elev.]; June 13, 2015 [north elev.]; July 4, 2015; September 5, 2015 [south elev.]; December 7, 2015 [south elevation]; December 7, 2015 [north elevation]; 

 

_______________________________________________

February 2015

 

February 17, 2015                                        March 12, 2015                                       June 2015                                                     October 31, 2015                                                     January 12, 2016

Charter Bank

Bienville Boulevard

_________________________________

January 2015

Riemann Family Funeral Home-13872 LeMoyne Boulevard

[constructed in 2014-2015-image made January 2015; opened February 2015]

______________________________________________

2014

December 2014

237 Front Beach-Cole House

                                                                                  December 2014                        February  2015

              March 23, 2015                                  May 16, 2015                                                 July 4, 2015

 

237 Front Beach

Former site of homes of John Cook and Vera Wulff Cook and DeVeaux "D.D."  Baxter Munro.

 

 

 

 

December 2014

Raising Cane's

February 17, 2015                      March 14, 2015              March 14, 2015

March 31, 2015

Fox Texaco-US 90

Demolition took place December 2, 2014 to build a Raising Cane's.

[Bienville Boulevard and Ocean Springs Road-[L-R: October 2014 and December 2, 2014]

_______________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

 

306 Dewey Avenue

Refurbishing to ameliorate termite and rot damage.  [images made November 17, 2014 and June 1, 2015]

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

 

Dollar General

Government Street

[December 2014 and February 2015]

___________________________________________________________________________________

November 2014

Bryant and Johnnie Bernhardt- New Construction-524 Jackson Avenue-Built by Randy Hagan and completed as a rental house on June 1, 2015.

[Former home of Elmyra Mitchell Ross which demolished by neglect and had to be removed. Images made August 1993 and September 1, 2009]

[images L-R:  made November 13, 2014; December 20, 2014; and July 4, 2015]

________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2014

Mitchell House

255 Lover's Lane

image made October 10, 2015

Permitted October 2014-Craig Smith, contractor.

_____________________________________________________________________

October 2014

YMCA

1820 Government Street [Fire damaged structure removed in the fall of 2014. L-R: 1993 and south elevation-July 2014]

___________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

Remodeling

Catchot-Lemon Building 

806 Washington Avenue

[L-R: September 1993; September 24, 2014 and November 2015]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

New Construction

Descher House-Fort Avenue

[L-R: first two images west elevation-September 24, 2014; 2nd two made October 15, 2015]

______________________________________________________________________________

September 2014

Replacing Front Beach walkway that caved in-Image made September 10, 2014

_______________________________________________________________

710 Magnolia

[image made March 2010]

 

September 2014                                                      Thanksgiving Day 2014

710 Magnolia Street

[Webb place]

____________________________________________________

                            November 2013 [east elevation]                    August 21, 2014 [L-R: west elevation and east elevation]

Government Street

Richey House replaced Del Castle demolished by Bruce Legate in March 2007.  Construction started in the summer of 2013 with masonry perimeter wall.

____________________________________________________________________

YMCA new construction

[all images made July 28, 2014]

 

South Elevation                              North Elevation                                    Interior

[all images made December 9, 2014]

March 2015

________________________________________________________

1820 Government Street

YMCA Fire-July 23, 2014

_________________________________________________________________

LaFontaine Demolition-2014

       1112 LaFontaine-Dr. Waddell House

_____________________________________________________              

                                                              

418 Martin Avenue

[July 1997]

[demolition proposed in June 2014]

______________________________________________________

                          April 1998                                        May 2014                                                          September 2014

1516 Government Street

[Facade change in the spring and summer of 2014]

_________________________________________________________

Demolition and New Construction

  March 1993                                                             March 2014

 

August 21, 2014

Randy Hagan-contractor

1102 Bowen Avenue

[The shell of the original structure which can be seen in the March 2014 image was later removed totally removing all of the original section of this building]

___________________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

7 Mulberry Place

[L-R: ? 2014 and September 2014.  Home of Ken and Debra Ritchey]

________________________________________________________________________________________

521 Ward Avenue

[Mark and Susan Jone Sutera home was erected in 2013 and completed in the spring of 2014.  This had been a vacant lot since I moved here in 1990]

____________________________________________

New Construction

305 Front Beach Drive

                                  October 2013                                    November 2013                              December 2013

                              January 2014                  April 2014                                                    July 2014

                                                        December 2014                                                    March 2015

Michael Illanne House

Edwards House-circa 1940s

___________________________________________________________

New Construction

March 12, 2014                                    September 2014

Ruskin Avenue

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November-December  2013

November 2013

 

December 7, 2013

Ocean Springs Inner Harbor

Boat Shed and Harbor Landing Restaurant both demolished in November 2013 by Department of Marine Resources after purchase from David Harris Sr.  The area will become a green space.[ L-R: Boad Shed made November 20, 2013 and Harbor Landing made November 24, 2013 by Ray L. Bellande]

_______________________________________________________

March 7, 2013

 

John R. Blossman House

207 Shearwater Drive

[images made March 4 and March 7, 2013]

_____________________________________________________________________

February 2013

 

1823 Bienville Boulevard

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2012

520 Dewey Avenue 

Parrish House

[L-R: west elevation and north elevation]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012

 

                                                                                                                       June 2014

1110 Government Street

[July 26, 2012]

Demolished in August 2012.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012 

 

Sundown Motel

2708 Bienville Boulevard  [July 26, 2012]

Demolished August 2012.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2012

512 Dewey Avenue

Seymour House

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

May 2012

 

 

514 Magnolia

[images made November 1997, July 26, 2012, April 2013]

May 2012

Dewey Avenue

[image made January 2, 2014]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

801 M.L. King Jr.

[This house moved to new location in January 2012.  L-R: image made January 2000 and January 19, 2012]

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

                 January 19, 2012                                             March 2012

1019 Government Street

[L-R: Wieder Garage-March 1993 and  New Building January 2012]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

1203 Government

[Worked commenced in August 2011 by Randy Bosarge on the Simnicht Building for Dr. Randy Buntyn, DDS.  Completed January 2012. L-R: image made March 1993  and September 2011]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2012

626 Washington Avenue

[demolished early January 2012]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2011

628 1/2 Washinigton Avenue

[demolished im mid-December 2011]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2011

628 Washington Avenue

[demolished mid-December 2011]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2011

2426 Government Street

[demolished in 2011]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 31, 2011

 

900 State Street

[image made April 17, 2011 by Ray L. Bellande]

[demolished in 2011]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2011

1715 Government Street

[image made October 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

______________________________________________________________________________________________

JULY-AUGUST 2011

 

Katrina Cottage and foundation

[images made August 27, 2011 and July 2012]

1011 Desoto

       [image made March 2000]                                                                                 [image made March 2011]

In July-August 2011, Fred Moran, owner of this rental rearranged the decking and side porch of this structure.  He also placed two Katrina Cottages in the rear of this building in late August-early September 2011.  Dan Resch was the contractor.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2011

 

 

1303 Porter

[image made January 1998 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

1303 Porter

[image made January 2011]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2010

 

801 Iberville

[image made November 1996-by Ray L. Bellande]

 

801 Iberville

[demolition image made December 20, 2010-construction image made July 26, 2012 by Ray L. Bellande]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

July and October 2010

 

                             805 M.L. King Jr.               809 M.L. King Jr.

                  [Bellande image made October 1996]   [Bellande image made December 2002]                                       

       807 M.L. King Jr. was heavily damaged by fire in the fall of 2007.  An attempt to rebuild it was never completed and after demolishing by neglect, it was torn down in July 2010.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

August  2010

 

 

Demolition of Fallo's Dry Cleaners

1409 Government Street

[image made August 23, 2010 by Ray L. Bellande]

         The Fallo Brothers Cleaners was demolished on August 23, 2010 by the City of Ocean Springs which acquired the property and plan to establish a parking lot here in the near future.   

 

Fallo's Dry Cleaners-built in 1956

1409 Government Street

[image made July 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

         The new building, dry cleaning, and laundry shop of the Fallo Brothers opened on Government Street on September 4, 1956.  Joseph Fallo and John Fallo utilized the “Hoffman Jet”, a modern dry cleaning unit.(The Gulf Coast Times, September 6, 1956, p. 1)   

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2010

 

 

New Wm. Pontius home on General Pershing 

[located 100-200 feet northeast of demolished house and erected in 2011.  This image made December 17, 2011 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

William Pontius Home-August 16, 2010

[image by Ray L. Bellande]

 

William Pontius House-'Latitude' with an attitude

1320 Hellmer's Lane

[image made August 11, 2010 by Ray L. Bellande.  This home was erected in 1994-1995 by Mr. Schely of Gulfport for William Pontius, MD.  It was damaged by Katrina 2005 and refurbished, but mold and severe rot were discovered in 2010 and the decision was made to demolished rather than do extensive and expensive repairs.]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 2010

 

MASTER GRILL

[Demolished May 4, 2010 to build new bank building.  Image made September 1998 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

 

MASTER GRILL DEMOLITION-MAY 2010

[image by and courtesy of  Frank Stumbo]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

April 2010

709 Church Street [west elevation]

[F.L. Westbrook House-owned by Roger Applewhite at time of demolition.]

 

709 CHURCH STREET

[Demolished April 12, 2010.  Image by Ray L. Bellande]

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2009

810 Handy

[owned by Margaret Graves]

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2009

 

 

 

  

1116 Hellmers Lane

 

 

 

  

1117 Hellmers Lane

 

 

 

 

1119 Hellmers Lane

[demolished by Chester Allred]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 2009

 

 

    

Portal oak tree removed on Washington and US 90

[This arbor gate had died following Katrina and was taken down on September 3, 2009.  see also The Sun Herald, September 4, 2009, p. A2)]

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2009

 

    

 

 

524 Jackson Avenue

[Demolished on September 1, 2009.  Home of Elmyra Mitchell Ross.  Images made August 2009 and September 1, 2009]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

2009

 

 

309 Lovers Lane

Old storage shed on the Poitevent-Mavar property.  Demolished in summer 2009.  Cottage constructed upon foot print of storage shed in August-October 2009.

[Images made May 2006 and September 2009 and January 2012]

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

  

 

512 Williams

[L-R: image made February 2001 and October 2009.  Home of Mrs. Allen Young]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

2006 Government Street

[demolition started October 28, 2008.  L-R: black and white images made September 1997; color image made May 2008; demolition images made October 29, 2008 and November 20, 2008]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

 

623 Jackson Avenue

[L-R: Edward P. Guice II home demolished October 2008; new construction started October 29, 2008;     ]

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008

 

 

 

1108 Ames

[image made mid-October 2008. demolished late October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

1112 Ames

[image made mid-October 2008. demolished late October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

1109 Bienville

[image made mid-October 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

610 Bellande

[Owned by 1st Baptist Church of Ocean Springs.  Reverend Paul D. Aultman (1930-1993) and spouse were last to reside here. Demolished in late October 2008.]

[image made July 21, 2008 and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

614 Magnolia

[image made July 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  demolished October 2008]

 

 

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008 and 2010

 

 

 

611 Ward

[New home completed here in August 2010.  Image made August 2010 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

 

 

 

611 Ward

[image made July 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  demolished in August or September 2008]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2008

 

 

810 Iberville

[outbuilding on Bobby Davidson Smith lot demolished by Allred in mid-August 2008]

[image made November 1994 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

July-August 2008

 

 

 

 

Young-Moran Building

630 Washington Avenue

[L-R: image made February 1993 and September 2008 by Ray L. Bellande.  Building refurbished by A. R. 'Fred' Moran with Henry Furr AIA]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

June 1, 2008

 

 

 

 

Cochran-Letoha House

900 Robinson

Alleged to have 'fallen over' by owners Doug and Pamela Stuck Letoha on June 1, 2008.  This historic home was damaged during Hurricane Katrina and was demolishing by neglect before the 'act of God' finished it.

[L-R: first image made February 2000; images 2-3 made June 2, 2008; images 4-5 made September 3, 2008 when Lamey Brother's cleaned the lot.]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

 

922 Porter

Dr. Cecil Guyton's Dental Arts Building

[Demolished on March 18, 2008.  Images made February 1993; March 15, 2008; March 18, 2008; April 2008; and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

407 Ruskin

[Harry E. Lee and Virginia Thompson Lee Home demolished August 2008 and new construction in November 2008]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

918 Porter

[scheduled for moving in March 2008 to City Hall parking lot on East Porter Street]

[images made February 1993; March 2008; and October 2008 by Ray L. Bellande]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

1811 Kensington

[demolished on March 8, 2008]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

2505 Bienville

[to be relocated in February 2008]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2008

 

 

 

310 Holcomb

[L-R: entrance from Holcomb; south elevation; and north elevation-all images made January 21, 2008, except the workshop, made in December 2007]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

 

797 Iberville

[Former home of Mayor John C. 'Champ' Gay and Jennie Heiss Gay.  Demolished 2007.  New home under construction by George Sliman in December 2007.  L-R: image made November 1994 by Ray L.Bellande]

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

 

 

 

7 Gulfview

[Home of Mara Lou Guice Galle Hutto-damaged by Katrina and demolished on December 3, 2007.  Images made by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

 

203 Front Beach

[damaged by Katrina in August 2005 and later demolished.  rebuilding commenced in summer of 2006 by William Lucas, PhD and Karen Lucas. L-R: images made July 1993; September 2005;  March 2007 and December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

422 Cleveland

[demolished in October 2007 and rebuilding commenced in November 2007.  Image made September 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

803 Bienville

[L-R: Formerly a Hardee's fast food restaurant.  Closed in 2001, when US Highway 90 was widened.  Refurbished fall of 2007 for Japanese restaurant.  Images made November 1994; January 2002, and November 11, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

2501 Bienville

 

2503 Bienville

 

 

2505 Bienville

 

 

Outbuildings

 

 

[Scheduled for demolition.  Gulf Coast Investment Developers plan to demolish the Dr. Carl S. Lindstrom (1873-1951) home and outbuildings at his former plantation called, Carlana Acres.  The developers plan to build a mixed use community called 'Bay Village'.[images made November 11, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

 

232 Lovers Lane

[destroyed by Katrina in August 2005.  rebuilding commenced in October 2007.L-R: images made September 1997 and December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

3601 Knapp Road

[scheduled for demolition.  Image made October 3, 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

 

  

 

3535 Bienville and 3537 Bienville

These buildings were removed in late October 2007 to erect a medical imaging center.  Images by Ray L. Bellande in October 2007.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2007

1008 Legion Lane

[scheduled for demolition.   Image made September 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 2007

 

 

422 Martin Avenue

The Attaya home floated off piers during Katrina.  Restoration began October 2007, by Kosciusko House Movers.

[L-R: October 2001; September 2005; and October 2007]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

1996-October 2007

 

 

 

 

248 Lovers Lane

Original home built by Nicholas Gordon on Seapointe in 1996.  Destroyed by Katrina in August 2005 and rebuilt in 2007.

[L-R: September 1997; September 2005; March 2007; and October 2007]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

October-November 2007

820? Martin Luther King

This home partially burned in 2007 and was rebuilt from the original structure.

[L-R: images made December 2002 and October 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 2007

 

1001 Bowen

Former Ocean Springs Lumber Company storage building and cleared lot.

[Images made October 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

October 2007

 

626 1/2 Washington Avenue

This was a Moran Realty rental property which was demolished in October 2007.

[Image made July 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

************************************************************************************************************************************

July-October 2007

 

 

 

936 Porter

Building built by Dr. Clifton L. Beckman (1933-1984) as his dental clinic in 1967. Addition to north elevation by Mark Toups & John Marshall, CPAs, in July 1997.  In the late summer and fall of 2007, Fred Moran had a hip roof built over the flat roof and completely reconfigured the exterior and interior of the structure.  'Denim Blues', a clothing store, was the first business to occupy the 2007 refurbished building.(The Ocean Springs Record, April 27, 1967, p. 7)

[all images by Ray L. Bellande, L-R: February 1993; February 1993;July 2007; October 2007; and October 2007]

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

2007

1962 Ocean Springs-Biloxi Bridge

Damaged by Hurricane Katrina, this span was removed in sections between 2006 and 2007

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 18, 2007

 

520 Ward Avenue

Cleared lot for sale in October 2007 for $137,000

[image made February 2002 by Ray L. Bellande]

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

September 6, 2007

 

 

 

1805 Kensington

[L-R: images made November 2006, September 2007, and June 15, 2009 by Ray L. Bellande]

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

July? 2007

 

 

 

334 Lovers Lane

Home of Julia Weaver, Alderman-at-Large.  Damaged by Katrina and rebuilt commencing in August 2007.

[images made December 1997 and October 2007]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

July 2007

 

603 Halstead Road

         Former domicile of Earl Taylor and family.  Site of the Gulf Kist Poultry Farm and a large pecan orchard.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

June 2007

 

 

619 East Beach

[image made September 2005 and ]

          Old home of D.W. Halstead or E.W. Halstead was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005 and floated off its piers.  Judge D. Neal Harris, owner, had it moved back to its original position and stabilized.  In late June 2007, Judge Harris made a decision to demolish.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2007

 

 

1019 Government Street

(L-R: P.J. Wieder Pan Am service garage-circa 1937; March 1993; and January 2007

 

          Art deco service station erected by Peter J. Wieder (1887-1985) in 1926. Wieder sold to Josey & Scharr in 1949.  Demolition began in June 2006 by Jeff Sauls and completed by A.R. 'Fred' Moran in June 2007.

 

NEW CONSTRUCTION  [December 2011]

1019 Government Street [December 11, 2011]

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

March 2007

Del Castle

Government Street [Old Spanish Trail]

Demolished March 27, 2007 by Bruce Legate

************************************************************************************************************************************

February 2007

 

 

200 Dewey Avenue

Demolished February 19, 2007 by Dr. Joel Knight.  New construction started in October 2007.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

December 2006

809 General Pershing

          This home was demolished in late December 2006.  New home commenced in January 2007 and completed in May 2007.  Built by Katrina volunteers from Camp Victor across the street on Government and operated by Christus Victor Lutheran Church.  Note the cross in the front gable.

________________________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

October 2006

 

No. 1 Mulberry Place

[L-R: October 2006 and March 2007-2nd house completed in Subdivision]

________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2006

First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs [northeast corner of Porter and Bellande]

                                                           [l-r: Baptist church 1993; Demolition of 1909 sanctuary on July 11, 2006 to make a parking lot for its congregation.

_____________________________________________________________________________

New Construction

Spring 2006

 

No. 2 Mulberry Place

[L-R: June 2006 and March 2007. This home was built for Matt McDonnel who took occupany in March 2007. The windows and flooring were salvaged from Shadowlawn, the Hansen-Dickey House on Shearwater Drive. Shadowlawn was demolised following Hurricane Katrina.

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

Spring 2006

 

 

309 LaSalle Court

Home of Dr. Don LaGrone and Antoinette Duchene LaGrone on Old Fort Bayou-Lovers Lane area

 

[L-R-image made May 2001 and image made September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande

 

________________________________________________________________________________

Spring 2006

 

431 East Beach

[image made August 1997]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1215 Harbor Drive

[the Jack and Beth Riley home was heavily damaged by Katrina.  The west side, the original structure which was once the first OSYC, was demolished in April 2006.  The remaining east side was built in 1995 by Bobby Schrieber when Adrian Turner was the owner of this unique structure.  L-R: image made October 1997; image made April 2006; and December 2007-all by Ray L. Bellande]

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

427 East Beach

[L-R: image made March 1998; and image made September 2005]

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

 

303 Dewey Avenue

[L-R: image made August 1987 and image made October 2005]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

112-A Shearwater

[l-r: image made 1999 from southwest; image made December 2005 from southeast; and image made January 2007 from north]

This fine structure, called Shadowlawn, survived Katrina, but the owner was determined to destroy it and succeeded.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

MARTIN AVENUE

 

 

418 Martin Avenue

Mattie M. Austin (1842-1916)-Walter Winklejohn House

[L-R: image made by Ray L. Bellande in July 1997 and August 29, 2005 as Katrina was leaving!]

 

 

513 Martin Avenue

          This home was demolished to build a new home and was not Katrina related.  The new domicile was commenced in June 2006 by Resch Construction Company of Ocean Springs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

411 Jackson Avenue

          The Robert W. Potter home was inundated by Katrina and damaged sufficiently to warrant demolition.  Mr. Potter moved to Tulsa and Dallas to reside with his son.  The lot was cleared and sold to his neighbors Bill and Michelle Deaton of 413 Jackson Avenue.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

410 Jackson Avenue

          von Rosambeau-Benz House was built by Augustus von Rosambeau (1849-1912) circa 1908.  In 1917, the von Rosambeau sold it to Marie Odette Brou Bryan (1879-1957).  It remained in the Bryan family until the demise of Frank H. Bryan II (1914-1999).  He legated it to the Catholic Diocese of Biloxi, Mississippi who conveyed it to Richard W. Benz (b. 1964) and Jennifer Becker Benz (b. 1969) in 2001. At the time of its total destruction by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, it was owned by Richard and Jennifer B. Benz.  Image made February 1993.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

406 Jackson Avenue

          The Bryan-Letoha Home was built in 1910 by Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960) for Frank H. Bryan (1872-1936).  It was damaged during Hurricane Georges in 1998 and was demolishing by neglect until Hurricane Katrina destroyed it in August 2005.  Image made March 1992.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

405 Jackson Avenue

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

401 Jackson Avenue

         This rental home possessed by Margaret Brou was destroyed by Katrina.  Valerie Brou, her niece, and grand niece, Gabrielle Brou, were occupants of this residence on August 29, 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

325 Jackson Avenue

          The Margaret Brou residence was removed by Katrina.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spring 2006

313 Jackson Avenue

            The Claire Brou domicile was inundated and wasted by Katrina.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2005

 

 

 

 

Fort Maurepas Replica

Front Beach Drive

Demolished December 9, 2005 as a result of severe damage by Hurricane Katrina in late August 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005

2215 Government

(another post-Katrina demolition. Image made September 1997)

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005    

(This auto paint and body shop of John Pitalo was demolished post-Katrina)

 

 

                                                                              NE/C of Government and Holcomb  

                                                                                      (image made in 2005)  

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2005

 

2315 Government (image made April 1999)

(age and termites caused this commercial structure used as a beauty parlor, "Casa Bella" to be removed)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fall 2005

1401 Government [image made July 1997]

     This house was located on the NE/C of Government Street and Handy.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2005

915 State Street

This home on the southwest corner of State and Robinson was severely damaged by fire in September 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

KATRINA DESTROYED and DAMAGED

August 29, 2005

 

EAST BEACH DRIVE

 

 

 

401 East Beach-Dempsey M. Levi [rebuilt in September 2006]

[t-b: image August 1997; image September 2005; image September 2006; image February 2008. Ray L. Bellande, images.]

 

 

 

405 East Beach-Paul B. O'Neal

[l-r: image September 2005; image February 2006-first house destroyed by Katrina to be rebuilt on East Beach, which is identical to original house; image September 2006-Levi house to the west under construction in background.  Images by Ray L. Bellande.]

 

 

409 East Beach-Marty and Lisa Courtney Waggoner

[l-r: image August 1997; image September 2005; image September 2006-rebuilding a "Katrina" cottage to replace the remodeled Usner-Armand, cottage destroyed east of their main house.  Ray L. Bellande image.]

 

411 East Beach-Ury J. Armand and Patrick J. Armand (1934-2003), sons of Elizabeth 'Betty' Usner Armand (1909-1999).

Martin R. Waggoner and Lisa Courtney Wagoner acquired this lot in July 2001 from C. Spence Boyd. It was refurbished by the Wagoners in 2003 and destroyed by Katrina in August 2005.  Marty Wagoner built his new Katrina cottage here in August September 2006. 

[Image made 1997 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

415 East Beach-Rita Jung Walker

[l-r: image August 1997; image September 2005-no rebuilding as of May 2011.  Ray L. Bellande images.]

 

417 East Beach-Candler Yarborough

[built in  by Candler Yarborough and Linda Rabby Yarborough, his wife. Image made April 2011]

 

419 East Beach-Harry Candler Yarbrough

[Home built by H. Candler Yarbrough circa 1986.  Destroyed by Katrina August 2005.  Images by Ray L. Bellande in August 1997 and September 2005.  No building as of May 2011.]

 

 

421 East Beach-Dan and Ginger Magruder

[images made by Ray L. Bellande in September 2005 and August 1997.  No building as of May 2011.]

 

423 East Beach-Donald and Natalie Robohm

[L-R:image made August 1997 and September 2005.  This home was built in 1990-1991 by Donald and Natalie Robohm from a Bruce Tolar, design.  Images by Ray L. Bellande] 

 

427 East Beach

[L-R: image made March 1998; and image made September 2005]

 

 

431 East Beach-Jerome Modello

[image made August 1997]

 

431 East Beach-Dr. Jefffrey and Sallie Noblin

[built May 2007. Image by Ray L. Bellande-April 2011]

 

 

 

Yarborough-Menendes Guest Cottage-built 1991 in rear of 433 East Beach access from Indian Trail.

 

433 East Beach-Charles Yarborough and Charles Menendes, MD

[L-R: December 2007 and September 2005. In 1990-1991, a second story was added to this home as well as a guest cottage [bottom photo].  Maria C. Bargas was the architect and the contractor Ken Snyder, both of Ocean Springs, Mississipp.  Images by Ray L. Bellande images]

 

435 East Beach-Penny House

[L-R: image made December 2007 and September 2007. The new Penny home was built in 2007.  Images by Ray L. Bellande]

 

435 1/2 East Beach

[New home of Joan Penny. Ingress from Indian Trail.  Image made December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

435 1/2 East Beach Drive-Joan Penny

[image made from Indian Trail in April 2011 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

439 East Beach Drive

[built in November 2007 after Katrina by Leo and Betty Noble.  Images made April 2011 and December 2007 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

 

 

507 East Beach Drive-Thomas A. Butera Octagonal Cottage

[L-R: image February 1994 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande.  Cottage restored by MDAH grant in 2008.  Mr. Butera acquired this property from Edsel Ruddiman (1917-2006) in February 1994.  Jackson Co. Miss. Land Deed Bk. 1236, p. 30)]

 

509 East Beach-Charnley-Ruddiman House

[L-R: images February 1994 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande.  Rebuilt after 1897, by Frederick W. Norwood of Chicago.  Restored after Katrina with MDAH grant by Alan Ramsay of Yazoo City, Mississippi.

 

517 East Beach Drive-Meek Laan-Jay T. Segarra and Lisa Segarra House

[Image made September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

517 East Beach-Charles H. Shaffner and Virgina DeFrank Shaffner

[L-R: Image made March 1993 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande. Shaffner home built in 1991 by C.H. Shaffner]

 

 

535 East Beach Drive

[L-R: south and west elevations by Ray L. Bellande in August 2005. This home was built in 2005 by Dan Resch, contractor.  It was never lived in as Katrina destroyed it just as it was being finished!]

 

 

611 East Beach-Mark R. Ederer and Helene H. Ederer

[L-R: image November 1994 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande.  Rebuilt in the summer of 2008.]

 

615 East Beach-Wesson-Gunn House

[Built by Robert F. Schrieber  Jr. in 1975 for Dr. Ray Wesson (1937-1980) and Delores Ann Gill Wesson (1942-1980).  Clyde 'Buddy' Gunn owner during Katrina.  [L-R: image made Decemebr 2007 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande]

 

617 East Beach Drive-Dr. William Streigel

[L-R: Image made December 2007 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande. This structure was the least Katrina damaged home on East Beach Drive]

 

619 East Beach Drive-Judge David Neal Harris Jr.

[L-R: Demolition July 2005 and post-Katrina Septemebr 2005.  No construction as of May 2011]

 

627 East Beach Drive-Dr. Joel Knight [East Beach Drive and Halstead Road]

[L-R: image made pre-Katrina 2005 and September 2005 by Ray L. Bellande.  No construction here to May 2011.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

FRONT BEACH DRIVE

[Porter to Hillenddale]

 

[Hillenddale to Jackson Avenue]

 

 

 

[Martin Avenue to Jackson Avenue]

 

 

 

315 Front Beach Drive-"Many Oaks"-Mary C. Zala Jensen

[l-r: image May 2001; image September 2006; image October 2006, Fayard factory truck in yard; and image July 2006, repairs]

 

 

323 Front Beach Drive-Sunset Beach Apts. and Tom Reynolds's townhouses

[l-r: image September 2004; image December 2004, demolition to erect townhomes; image August 2005, new townhouses; and September 2005]

 

400 Front Beach Drive-Ocean Springs Seafood of Earl Fayard

[l-r: image July 2005; image September 2005, looking south from Jackson Avenue]

 

Jackson Avenue to Washington Avenue

 

Fort Maurepas Replica

[l-r: image February 1995; image September 2005]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fort Maurepas Park

[l-r: plan of & Greg Cantrelle &Associates; Ray L. Bellande, local historian, at ground breaking ceremonies on August 29, 2006; pavilion and walkway and outdoor theatre all taken on September 27, 2009]

 

Seamen's Memorial

[image 1994 and August 2009]

 

Washington Avenue to Harbor Drive

505 Front Beach Drive-Ross P. and Sharon Webber Dodds

[l-r: image March1993; image September 2005, note Bosco house in background]

 

 

509 Front Beach Drive-Wilma and Sylvia Bosco

[l-r: image March 1993;image October 2004; and September 2005; repairing and rebuilding 2006]

 

513 Front Beach Drive-Will and Jacqueline Charbonnet

[l-r: image March 1993; image September 20005; plan to rebuild new home in 2007]

 

 

517 Front Beach Drive-Rene' Cazabaum

[l-r: image January 1999; image September 2005]

 

 527 Front Beach Drive-Gulf Oak Condominiums

[l-r: image February 1993; image September 2005; and May 2006]

 

545 Front Beach Drive-Gay and Alice Austin Martin

[l-r: image      ;image September 2005)

 

545 1/2 Front Beach-Gay and Alice Austin Martin

[images February 2002]

 

HARBOR DRIVE

 

1220 Harbor Drive

[Rehage House.  image made April 1999]

 

JACKSON AVENUE

 

Jackson Avenue [east]

 

314 Jackson Avenue

Ray and Maureen Hudachek's "Egan Cottage".  Reconstruction of replica began in late August 2006 by Paul Campbell.  Carl Germany, AIA.

[l-r: image made July 1993; image made September 2005]

 

316 Jackson Avenue

         Stephen and Beverly Blasingame's home.  This house survived the storm intact, but did receive some flood water!  Sold in 2006 for about $415,000.  The Blasingame's relocated to Iowa their natal State.  [l-r: image made during March 2002 while entire home was refurbished by the Ellis Brothers of Biloxi; September 2005]

 

Jackson Avenue [west]

 

313 Jackson Avenue

          The Claire M. Brou home was totally destroyed. Some of the retaining wall and piers survived.  After a FEMA trailer and another mobile home, Claire settled for a temporary wooden home a' la railroad caboose architecture until critical decisions about rebuilding could be made.  [Images taken February 1993 and May 2006]

 

325 Jackson Avenue

           The Margaret Brou house was completely destroyed.  Margaret lived with friends until she acquired a suitable mobile home.

 

401 Jackson Avenue

           This Margaret Brou rental house was removed by Katrina. Valerie Brou, her niece, and Valerie's daughter, lived here before the storm.  No further information.

 

405 Jackson Avenue

            The William T. Richardson place was completely devastated by Katrina. No further information.

 

409 Jackson Avenue

             The Dave and Katherine Beaugez Wilson home survived Katrina, but received substantial water, wind, and tidal surge damage to the first floor.  It is being restored as of July 2006.

 

LOVERS LANE

 

 

[L-R: Lobrano House 2003; March 2007; September 2005; and December 2005]

241 Lovers Lane

          The Dr. William Lobrano home on Seapointe was commenced in January 2001 and complete in the spring of 2003.  It was very seriously damaged, but was one of only several homes on this low-lying peninsula between Back Bay and Old Fort Bayou that survived in condition to be restored.  Restoration in progress June 2007. 

 

[L-R: Miner House December 1997 and June 2007]

245 Lovers Lane

          The John and Mary Alice Miner home on Seapointe was essentially destroyed by Katrina.  Rebuilding commenced in July 2006 with an all steel framework from ground level to ridge line.  The new Miner home was completed in the spring of 2007, probably May.

 

[L-R: Bosco House September 1997 and March 2007]

300 Lovers Lane

            The Johanna Bosco home was destroyed by Katrina.  New construction commenced in the late spring of 2006 by Jason Lauban from a Vaughan Lauban design.  This structure was completed in February 2007.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2005

1001 Bowen

(the metal building on extreme left was demolished in August 2005)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2005

         1926 Standard Oil of Kentucky Oil-Zanca Station

[1000 Government Street (photo made 1993 and polaroid image in late 1990s)

     This structure was demolished in mid-June 2005 by SEFCO, LLC., a Mississippi limited liability company, probably headed by Fred Moran.  Its address is 712 Washington Avenue, the same as Moran Realty Company. The owners plan to erect a small strip mall.

New Construction

August 28, 2009

__________________________________________________________________________________________

March 2005

708 Magnolia

 

[L-R: images made September 1997 and July 2005 by Ray L. Bellande.  H.H. Furr, AIA, was hired to remodel this house in the spring of 2005]

______________________________________________________________________________________

Spring 2005

Edwards-Cheney House

316 Holcomb

[L-R: images made February 2002 and January 2008 by Ray l. Bellande]

Built circa 1913, by John P. Edwards (1881-1932+) and Coral W. Edwards (1878-1932+), natives of North Dakota and Canada, who were residents of Ocean Springs for about twenty-five years.  Mr. Edwards was in real estate, farmed, and was our Postmaster from 1925-1932.  Armand Place town homes erected here in 2007 and 2008.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2005

Washington Avenue Water Tower

(image made March 1994)    

This longtime downtown landmark was removed in mid-January 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2005?

"old Jail"

(north of the Washington Avenue water tower-image made June 1994)

     Was this old derelict taken out with the water tower?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2004?

1231 Vermont

   This image has a note signed and undated by Florence Young which reads as follows: The Studio, "Guest House" and affectionately called 'The Barn', was built by William Ray Allen Jr.  He bought the old Farmers & Merchants Bank Building and used it for an art-'Gallery Up'.  I hear that Mr. Allen, the third, is still using the front of it for his office.

1231 Vermont

[image made February 2002 by Ray L. Bellande]

__________________________________________________________________________________________

December 2004

 

Sunset Apartments

323 Front Beach Drive

   The Sunset Apartments were built by Virginia Shiell in 1967.  They were demolished in December 2004, by a syndicate led by Tom Reynolds Sr. in order to erect town homes.  Townhouse construction began in January 2005 and they were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005 before completion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2004

 

 

Step N Style Building

614? Washington Avenue (image made November 1992)

     Formerly a beauty shop and elderly person care facility owned by Marie Hudson.  This  building was destroyed by the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs in November 2004.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

August 2004

St. Alphonsus de Liguori Kindergarten

West side of Washington Avenue between Calhoun and Joseph Street (image made, February 1993).  This old school building was torn down in August 2004.  It was not replaced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2004

 

 

Ocean Springs Fuel and Ice Dock

1109 Harbor Drive

(upper image made February 1994, lower image made, January 2005)

     The Ocean Springs Fuel and Ice Dock structure was removed in 2004.  It was replace by the Harbor Landing building.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2004

 

 

702 Magnolia

(image made September 1997)

     This home was torn down in June 2004, to build the Mulberry Place by its developers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

April 2004

Schmidt Bakery Shop (erected between 1909-1915)

612 Washington Avenue

(upper photo, courtesy of Carolyn Sanders; middle image made April 2, 2004; lower photo, made March 2004)

This historic building was destroyed by the 1st Baptist Church of Ocean Springs on April 2, 2004 to build an education building.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

March 2004

 

1205 Bowen

[L-R: Young-Shanteau House-1990; March 2004-addition to west elevation by George Shamberger, owner.  Work done by Mohler Construction Company]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

February 2004

 

209 General Pershing

(L-R: image made October 1997 and two images of the Pontius Home made in January 2013.  First Pontius image is west elevation and second is south elevation)

This home in the southwest corner of Hellmer's Lane and General Pershing was removed in early February 2004.  Replaced in 2012-2013 by William Pontius who demolished his Katrina damaged home at 1320 Hellmers Lane in 2010.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2003

703 Ward

[Images made    and   2004 by Ray L. Bellande]

      The Hesey Carl Byrd home was demolished in November 2003.  A new home was erected here very shortly thereafter.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

November 2003

 

 

Maltby House

603 Pershing Avenue

(upper image made, August 1997; lower image made February 2005)

This cottage was torn down in November 2003, to build a new house.  The new home was commenced in September 2004 by Michael Maltby and completed in the spring of 2005.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2003

1910 Joseph "Dode" L. Schrieber House

1309 Porter

     (image made August 1997)

     The old Schrieber house was brought down on July 2, 2003.  It was erected in 1910, by Joseph L. Schrieber (1872-1951), renown local historian.  His two daughters who married and left many decades ago, Marion Lurline Schrieber Hall (b. 1920) and Charlotte Rose Schrieber Blanchette (b. 1924), are great ambassadors of their native city.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2003

 

1949 Ocean Springs Volunteer Fire Company Building

1014 Porter Avenue (upper image, 1949; May 2001; lower image June 2003)

This structure was built in 1949 as a fire station.  It was demolished on June 3, 2003, by the City of Ocean Springs to enlarge the parking lot for City Hall.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

February 2003

 

 

Munro Shell Station

(images made February 1993 and February 2003)

This gas station was situated on the NW/C of Washington Avenue and US 90, Bienville Boulevard.  It was removed on February 19, 2003, as MDOT was widening Bienville Boulevard because of the increased traffic to the casinos at Biloxi.  Post Hurricane Katrina. the Hurricane Relief Corps camped here for many months.  The vacant lot is owned by the Friar family.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

July 2002

John Cook Home

237 Front Beach Drive

(upper image made October 1999; middle image made January 2002, and lower image made )

    D.D. Munro had Resch Construction Company build a new home here in the fall of 2002, from a design by Carl Germany, AIA.

237 Front Beach Drive (image made after August 2005)

D.D. Munro home

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002

Rogers House

516 Jackson Avenue

     (upper image, May 2001; lower image, February 2004)

     The Heirs of John A. McCloughan (1898-1982) sold the upper house to Jefferson Rogers (b. 1957) in March 2002.  Mr. Rogers had the derelict structure removed and a new home erected here in the winter of 2002 and spring of 2003.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002

613 Bellande

Demolished in 2002 by the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs.(image made March 1993)

    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

2002

611 Bellande

          Demolished in 2002 by the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs.(image made March 1993)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002?

403 Porter

     This small home was removed in either 2002 or 2003.  Not replaced.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002

1323 Bienville Boulevard

(image made November 1997)

This oil station was destroyed to erect a new McDonald's, which opened in late 2002 or early 2003.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002

1976 McDonald's Restaurant

2003 Bienville Boulevard

(image made November 1997)

Demolished in 2002, as new McDonald's was built further east at 1323 Bienville Boulevard.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

305 or 307 Ward

[restored in the fall of 2001 by Danny Santini-images made August 1997 and July 2004 by Ray L. Bellande]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2001

Caravan Truck Stop-US Highway 90

[Built circa 1956 in the NW/4 of the SW/4 of Section 25, T7S-R8W, this building was removed in January 2001.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2000?

1901-1905 Government

(This rental complex was removed circa 2000 after the property was sold.  Images made August 1997)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2000

607 Azalea

[New home built by Gary Young for Soterra family.  Image made May 2001]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2000

 

 

     Crooked Feather

Bienville Boulevard

(top image made March 1997; lower image made May 2001)

     This Peter Wolf  Toth (b. 1947), creation was dedicated in February 1976, in Davidson Park on the southeast side of US Highway 90 in the western section of Ocean Springs, Mississippi.  In February 2000, it was determined that the sculpture had rotted internally an had to be replaced.  Later in 2000, Thomas King created the replacement for Toth's original work from treated cypress.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 2000

Blossman Guest Cottage

201 Shearwater Drive

Damaged by fire in October 1999.  Torn down in January 2000.