Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Endt Family


ENDT FAMILY

The progenitor of the Endt family of Ocean Springs was Michel Endt (1823-1880), a native of Baden, Germany. At New Orleans, he married Theresa Herman (1839-1914), an 1866 immigrant from Rheishoff, Alsace, France. In 1880, Michel Endt made his living at Ocean Springs as a gardener. He and Theresa had five children: Anthony J. Endt (1870-1948), Rosalie Endt Catchot (1872-1959) married Joseph A. Catchot (1861-1927), Maria Matilda "Tillie" Endt Wieder (1873-1964) married Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960); Sophie Endt (1875-1882); and Helena Marie "Ella" Endt Thomas (1877-1957) married Charles R. Thomas (1888-1949).

 

Anthony J. "Tony" Endt (1870-1948)

Anthony J. "Tony" Endt (1870-1948) and his spouse Johanna Friedericka Wendel (1873-1931) were natives of New Orleans. Johanna was the daughter of John Wendel (1848-1874) and Christina Sieckman Wendel Domning (1848-1933). Her parents were also German immigrants. They married October 29, 1896 at St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 6, p. 70)

 

Tony Endt made his livelihood as a carpenter employed with the L&N Railroad at their creosote plant in Gautier. He had the capacity to read and interpret blueprints, which with his native intelligence aided in his promotion to foreman of the operation. Mr. Endt retired from the L&N in 1936. (The Jackson County Times, July 16, 1948, p. 1)

    

In January 1892, Tony Endt had been appointed overseer of the road from O’Keefe’s Corner to Earle’s Gate. Today, we would translate this route to run westerly from the intersection of Jackson Avenue and Porter to the entrance of the Seapointe Subdivision on Lovers Lane. The overseer’s duties were to make reports to the Board of Supervisors concerning repairs and maintenance of the thoroughfare under their purview. (JXCO, Ms. Board of Supervisor’s Minute Bk. 2, p. 189)

    

Tony and Johanna W. Endt had a large family, which they reared on Russell Avenue. Their children were: Theresa Endt Davidson (1897-1978), Ethel Endt Dale (1900-1978), Albert A. Endt (1902-1982), Leona Endt Clark (1905-1981), Amelia Endt Pearson (1906-1989+), Dorothy Endt Cherry (1908-1990), and Henry J. Endt (1910-1989).

 

 

Theresa C. Endt

Theresa Christina Endt (1897-1978) was born October 25, 1897. She worked in the bakery sales shop, now Le Croissant, for Frank E. Schmidt (1877-1954), the local baker. Theresa married Walter S. "Dave" Davidson (1888-1950), a native of Hull England. Mr. Davidson found his way to Ocean Springs from Mobile where he had made the acquaintance of William Kuppersmith (1875-1920+). Mr. Kuppersmith operated a large retail business in crabs, oysters, and fish on the beach at the foot of Jackson Avenue. After his marriage to Theresa Endt circa 1918, Davidson continued working for the Kuppersmiths until they returned to Mobile in the mid-1920s. When Gulf Hills commenced operations in 1926, he found employment there as a night watchman. He later opened a bar business called Dave’s Place on Washington Avenue. At the time of his demise in late November 1950, Mr. Davidson was the proprietor of Dave’s Feed Store on Bowen Avenue. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103, Alice D. Hire, December 3, 2002, and The Gulf Coast Times, December 1, 1950, p. 1)

 

Mr. and Mrs. Davidson were the parents of Anthony W. "Boots" Davidson (1920-1990) and Alice "Deets" Davidson Hire (1921-2004). Mrs. Deets Hire remembers when Bowen Avenue was still a dirt road and most of the neighborhood was kin. The three daughters of Emile Domning and Christina S. Wendel Domning, Augusta Domning (1881-1946), Caroline M. Domning (1886-1969), and Amelia F. Domning (1889-1954), had married into the local Fayard, Seymour, and Ryan clans respectively, while their son, B.F. Domning (1882-1915) married a Beaugez, another very large local family. In addition, the Carver and Bradford children were also in the environs. Life was relatively simple. You played outdoors, usually shooting marbles or jumping hopscotch. The marbles were composed of agate or clay and occasionally a "steely" or ball bearing was obtained from Shanteau’s Garage on Kotzum and Government Street. Broken glass made good markers for hopscotch players. The there was always Uncle Fred Ryan’s neighborhood bar-grill and dance hall for food and diversion. Were else in Ocean Springs could one get a soft shell crabs, potato salad, and a Barq’s root beer for less than $.25? 

 

Davidson home

In April 1924, Johanna W. Endt acquired from her mother, Christina Domning, the single story, frame shotgun house at present day 1410 Bowen Avenue, situated on the E/2 of Lot 7-Block 32. This early 20th Century house is an integral part of the Bowen Avenue Historic District and one of Ocean Springs finest architectural treasures. After Johanna died in 1931, Tony Endt sold his home to his daughter, Theresa Endt Davidson. This conveyance occurred in October 1938. Upon Mrs. Davidson death in 1978, her daughter, Alice Davidson Hire, inherited the home. Mrs. Hire resides in her family home with her daughter, Theresa Christina Hire. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 53, p. 624, Bk. 69, pp. 404-406, Bk. 71, p. 461, and Bk. 642, p. 187)

 

Ethel Sophia Endt

Ethel Sophia Endt (1900-1978) married William Frederick Dale (1899-1990) on January 12,1920. He was known in the community as Willy Dale. Willy’s parents were George William Dale (1872-1931) and Harriette Seymour (1879-1956), the daughter of Narcisse Seymour (1849-1931) and Carolyn V. Krohn (1847-1895). The Endt-Dale nuptial took place at St. Alphonsus and was officiated by Reverend J.H. Chauvin. Shortly after the wedding, Mr. Dale moved to Oklahoma. His wife joined him later. (The Jackson County TimesJanuary 17, 1920)

 

Dale home

From the sacred union of Ethel and Willy Dale two children, Thelma Dale Bradford Christopherson (b. 1921) and William F. Dale Jr. (1926-1979), were born in Ocean Springs. The Dales resided at present day 1406 Porter Avenue. In March 1920, Mrs. Dale acquired the property which was described as, Lot 5-Block 33 (Culmseig Map 1854), from Elijah Brown of Washington D.C. The Dale home was sold to Ronald A. Marion, Jr. in November 1989, by Thelma D. Christopherson. Andrew Marion's father acquired it from him in March 1996. (Jackson County, Miss. Land Deed Book 48, p. 43, Book 949, p. 31, and Book 1084, p. 660)

 

Mechanical genius     

As a young man Willy Dale learned to repair automobiles. In May 1926, he went into business as the Dale Motor Company. He opened a 3500 square-foot garage on West Porter. It was of the most modern on the entire coast. Dale's machines and tools were mostly electrically powered, state of the art for the period. Among his inventory of apparatuses were: the electrical valve resurfacing and reseating tool; electrical riveting; counter-sinking machine for relining brakes; cylinder hones; aligning gauges for front wheels; acetylene welding and cutting torch; weaver wrecker for hauling in disabled vehicles; air pump; Weaver tire change stand; Humpy-Cooper rebabbitting machines and other appurtenances applicable to automobile repair. At this time Willy Dale was the local Chevrolet dealer. He also sold gasoline, oil, and greases and his Porter Street auto service business. (The Jackson County TimesJune 12, 1926)

 

In addition to his mechanical skills, Mr. Dale successfully raced speed boats along the Mississippi coast; acquired the J.J. O’Keefe (1860-1911) family home on Porter and Jackson in December 1939, for $3850, which he metamorphosed into a restaurant-lounge and other uses; operated and owned an automobile dealership in Gulfport; ran a filling station; operated the Greyhound Bus franchise in Ocean Springs; and owned the pleasure craft, Dolphin.

 

Albert A. Endt

Albert A. "Peasel" Endt (1902-1982) married Maude Rebecca Crysell (1908-2000), a native of Butler County, Alabama. She was the daughter of Robert C. Crysell (1874-1934) and Lula Ovens Crysell (1876-1961). Mr. Crysell was killed in a railroad accident east of New Orleans in April 1934. Albert and Maude were the parents of three children: Albert A. Endt Jr. (1928-1928), Robert H. Endt (b. 1929), and Alvin Endt (1933-2016). Albert A. Endt Jr. was born August 6, 1928, but expired shortly after birth on August 8, 1928. His corporal remains were interred in the Evergreen Cemetery on Old Fort Bayou. (The Jackson County Times, August 11, 1928, p. 4)

    

Albert A. Endt like his father worked for the L&N Railroad at its Gautier creosote plant. He transferred into the transportation section of the company and became a conductor. (Alvin Endt, September 22, 2003 and The Ocean Springs Record, April 8, 1982)

    

Mr. Endt was active in the local community. He was elected alderman and served his constituents of Ward 3 from 1939-1941. His son, Alvin Endt, was elected to the same post in 1965, and served two terms before being elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives in 1983 where he was a member for sixteen years retiring in 1999. (Alvin Endt, September 22, 2003)

 

Alvin Endt (1933-2016)

 

In the quiet hours of the morning at his home, Monday, June 20, 2016, Mr. Alvin Endt heard the angels whisper, "Come and take my hand, and come with me; your work here is done."

Mr. Endt was born in Ocean Springs, Mississippi on September 28, 1933 to Albert and Maude Endt and was a lifelong resident of Ocean Springs. He was a devoted public servant, spending all of his life helping others. Mr. Endt served two terms as Alderman of Ocean Springs from 1965 to 1973. He was appointed Jackson County Supervisor in 1982 and served as District 113 State Representative from 1984 through 1999. He left a record of a life filled with kindness, reverence for God, and love for his many friends and loved ones. After graduating from the University of Southern Mississippi, Mr. Endt married the love of his life, Bettie Boyd and together they reared four children. His devotion and love for his family was without end. Mr. Endt taught history at St. Martin High School for many years and is fondly remembered by his students. According to many of them, his "paddlings" were infamous. He touched many young lives and was a master storyteller. Mr. Endt was a lifelong member of Ocean Springs Baptist Church and was a man of strong faith.

He was preceded in death by his loving wife, Bettie Boyd Endt, and his parents, Albert and Maude Crysell Endt.

He is survived by his children, Betsy Miller (Thomas), Rebecca Endt, Mark Endt, and Jennifer Shoemaker; grandchildren Andrew Chandler, Georgia Kate Chandler, Jamie Endt, Houston Endt, Lucas Endt, Bettie Shoemaker and Hanna Shoemaker; one great-grandchild, Aubrey Endt; brother and sister-in-law, Robert and Barbara Endt, sister-in law, Jane Beaugez and brother and sister-in-law, Bubba and Cheryl Boyd. Mr. Endt is also survived by a host of lifelong friends, nieces and nephews whom he loved and adored.

Visitation will be held at Bradford O'Keefe Funeral Home in Ocean Springs on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 from 5pm until 8pm. Funeral services will be held at First Baptist Church, Ocean Springs on Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. Burial will follow at Evergreen Cemetery in Ocean Springs. [The Sun Herald, June 22, 2016]

 

Leona Endt

Leona Endt Clark (1905-1981) was working for the Merchants Bank of Mobile when she met and married William A. Clark Jr., a resident of Brooklyn, New York, on April 29, 1927 in the St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church in Ocean Springs. Christine Fayard Hamilton was Miss Endt’s made of honor and Ambrose R. Fayard (1906-1986), her best man. The newly weds left their home in Brooklyn via Savannah, Georgia where they would meet the steamship of Mr. Clark, a ship engineer. (The Daily Herald, May 3, 1927, p. 4)

     In New York, Leona E. Clark found employment with the telephone company. She returned to Ocean Springs and lived on Shearwater Drive. Mrs. Clark expired here in February 1981.

 

Amelia Endt Pearson

Amelia Endt Pearson (1906-2001) married John Pearson (1903-1969). She lived most of her life in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Mrs. Pearson was the mother of Theresa P. Mullins and Mildred P. Taylor. She expired on May 16, 2001 at Grand Junction, Colorado. (Alice D. Hire, September 30, 2003)

 

Dorothy Endt Cherry 

Dorothy Endt Cherry (1908-1990) worked for The Daily Herald as a linotype operator. In March 1929, she married Allan Hugh Cherry (1900-1977), a native of North Carolina. Contemporaneously, George Scott, a companion of Mr. Cherry, married Louise Dale (1906-1979+), the sister-in-law of her sister, Ethel Sophie Endt Dale. The newly weds departed for Houston, Texas. (The Daily Herald, March 7, 1929, p. 4)

    

Dorothy and Hugh Cherry were the parents of two children: Alan H. Cherry Jr. and Johanna Cherry. They resided in Massachusetts before settling at Baltimore, Maryland. Hugh Cherry expired there in August 1977. She died in Baltimore in July 1990. (Alice D. Hire, December 3, 2002)

 

Henry J. Endt 

Henry J. Endt (1910-1989) married Irene Nelson, the daughter of J.T. Nelson of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in November 1936. They were the parents of Patricia E. Latil and Henry J. Endt II (b. 1938). The Henry Endt family resided at 1416 Bowen Avenue. Henry had acquired this domicile from his father in November 1936. H.J. Endt later married Ruth Clark Seymour (1916-2000), the daughter of Charles E. Clark and Sarah Richards. She was widow of Mark M. Seymour (1910-1944), who was killed in western Germany while attacking the Siegfried Line during WWII.(The Jackson County Times, November 21, 1936, p. 4, The Sun Herald, September 28, 1989, p. C-2, and The Mississippi Press, May 12, 2000, p. 2-A and JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 69, p 406).

 

ROSALIE ENDT

Rosalie "Rosie" Endt (1872-1959) was born February 23, 1872. In February 1896, she married a widower, Joseph A. Catchot (1861-1927), the son of Arnaud Catchot (1836-1910) and Adele Ryan (1844-pre 1880). Their children were: Joseph E. J. Catchot (1897-1984) married Alice Perret; Charles Emmett Catchot (1899-1985) married Alma Dick (1901-1969); Angus A. Catchot (ca 1902-ca 1912); Marion Catchot (1904-1992) married Howard F. Beaugez (1906-1975); Anthony Felix "Tony" Catchot (1907-1996) married Euta A. Redding (1914-1988); and Lloyd H. Catchot (1912-1995) married Ida M. Railey (1910-1996).

    

Joseph A. Catchot made his livelihood as a bridge foreman for the L&N Railroad at New Orleans. He was born at Pascagoula and had married Ella Clark. She bore him five daughters: Florence C. O’Rourke (1881), Agnes C. Cordonia (1884), Lelina C. Conrad (1887-1960), Mary Margaret "May" C. Gebbia (b. 1890), and Virginia "Lizzie" O’Rourke (b. 1892). The family moved to Ocean Springs in 1914, from Touro Street. In 1900, Joseph and Rosa Catchot were domiciled on Frenchman Street in the Crescent City. (1900 Federal Census-Orleans Parish, La. T623R572, p. 297 and 1910 Federal Census-Orleans Parish, La. T624R521, p. 60B)

 

MARIA MATHILDA ENDT

Maria Mathilda "Tillie" Endt (1873-1964) was born in New Orleans on September 23, 1873. In December 1900, she married Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960). He was the son of German immigrants Gregoire Wieder (1849-1899), a native of Alsace, and Dora Armbruster Wieder (1848-1924), who was born in Wurtemburg. Joseph A. Wieder made his livelihood as a carpenter and house contractor. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 7, p. 128)

    

Tillie and Joe Wieder were the parents of two children: Celia W. Davis (1902-1956), the wife of postmaster, Oscar T. Davis (1894-1963), and Joseph Charles Wieder (1905-1990), who married Lelia Cox (1911-1970) of Biloxi. J.C. Wieder was a plumber and superintendent of the Ocean Springs Municipal Water Department. (The Daily Herald, September 19, 1960, p. 2 and The Ocean Springs Record, June 28, 1990, p. 3)

 

SOPHIE ENDT

Sophie Endt (1875-1882) was born July 4, 1875. She died on October 25, 1882. Her corporal remains were placed in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. No further information. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103)

 

HELENA MARIE ENDT

Helena Marie "Ella" Endt (1877-1957) was born September 7, 1877. As a young lady she relocated to New Orleans and took employment with the Cumberland Telephone Company as an operator. At New Orleans on December 31, 1903, Ella married Charles R. Thomas (1888-1949), the son of George Washington Thomas (1854-1932) and Laura Lavinia Sutton (1853-ca 1877). G.W. Thomas was a native of Jasper County, Mississippi and arrived in Ocean Springs circa 1876. Like his father, Charles L. Thomas worked for the L&N Railroad. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103, The Biloxi Daily Herald, January 4, 1904, p. 8, and The History of JXCO, Ms., 1989, p. 367)

   

Ella and Charles Thomas were the parents of Marie T. Hardaway (1911-1995), the spouse of Harold H. Hardaway of Detroit, Michigan. The Thomas family resided at present day 503 Porter, the original Endt family homestead, which Ella had inherited from her mother, Theresa Herman Endt (1839-1914), upon her demise. Mrs. Thomas legated her home to her daughter, Marie T. Hardaway. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 42, p. 423 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 14,133-July 1959)

    

In January 1967, Mrs. Hardaway, a resident of Detroit, Michigan, sold the Endt familial home to Adam "Frenchie" Bourgeois (1914-1987). The consideration was $12,500. Here Mr. Bourgeois, a native of Raceland, Louisiana, opened a restaurant, "Frenchie’s Fine Foods". The Bangkok House, a Thai restaurant, occupies this structure today. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 304, p. 7)

    

Upon death, both Mr. and Mrs. Thomas corporal remains were interred in the Thomas plot in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. (The Daily Herald, December 20, 1957, p. 2 and June 13, 1960, p. 2)

 

Rosalie T. Endt Catchot (1872-1959)

[courtesy of Rose Catchot Harmon]

 

ROSALIE THERESA ENDT

Rosalie "Rosie or Rosa" Endt (1872-1959) was born February 23, 1872.  At New Orleans on April 21, 1897, she married a widower, Joseph A. Catchot (1861-1927), the son of Arnaud Catchot (1836-1910) and Adele Ryan (1844-pre 1880). Their children were: Joseph E. J. Catchot (1897-1984) married Alice Perret; Charles Emmett Catchot (1899-1985) married Alma Dick (1901-1969); Angus A. Catchot (ca 1902-ca 1912); Marion Catchot (1904-1992) married Howard F. Beaugez (1906-1975); Anthony Felix "Tony" Catchot (1907-1996) married Euta A. Redding (1914-1988); and Lloyd H. Catchot (1912-1995) married Ida M. Railey (1910-1996).

    

Joseph A. Catchot made his livelihood as a bridge foreman for the L&N Railroad at New Orleans. He was born at Pascagoula and had married Ella Clark. She bore him five daughters: Florence C. O’Rourke (1881), Agnes C. Cordonia (1884), Lelina C. Conrad (1887-1960), Mary Margaret "May" C. Gebbia (b. 1890), and Virginia "Lizzie" O’Rourke (b. 1892). The family moved to Ocean Springs in 1914, from Touro Street. In 1900, Joseph and Rosa Catchot were domiciled on Frenchman Street in the Crescent City. (1900 Federal Census-Orleans Parish, La. T623R572, p. 297 and 1910 Federal Census-Orleans Parish, La. T624R521, p. 60B)

 

MARIA MATHILDA ENDT

Maria Mathilda "Tillie" Endt (1873-1964) was born in New Orleans on September 23, 1873. In December 1900, she married Joseph A. Wieder (1877-1960). He was the son of German immigrants Gregoire Wieder (1849-1899), a native of Alsace, and Dora Armbruster Wieder (1848-1924), who was born in Wurtemburg. Joseph A. Wieder made his livelihood as a carpenter and house contractor. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 7, p. 128)

  

Tillie and Joe Wieder were the parents of two children: Celia W. Davis (1902-1956), the wife of postmaster, Oscar T. Davis (1894-1963), and Joseph Charles Wieder (1905-1990), who married Lelia Cox (1911-1970) of Biloxi. J.C. Wieder was a plumber and superintendent of the Ocean Springs Municipal Water Department. (The Daily Herald, September 19, 1960, p. 2 and The Ocean Springs Record, June 28, 1990, p. 3)

 

SOPHIE ENDT

Sophie Endt (1875-1882) was born July 4, 1875. She died on October 25, 1882. Her corporal remains were placed in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. No further information. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103)

 

HELENA MARIE ENDT

Helena Marie "Ella" Endt (1877-1957) was born September 7, 1877. As a young lady she relocated to New Orleans and took employment with the Cumberland Telephone Company as an operator. In late December1903, Ella married Charles R. Thomas (1888-1949), the son of George Washington Thomas (1854-1932) and Laura Lavinia Sutton (1853-ca 1877). G.W. Thomas was a native of Jasper County, Mississippi and arrived in Ocean Springs circa 1876. Like his father, Charles L. Thomas worked for the L&N Railroad. (Lepre, 1991, p. 103, The Biloxi Daily Herald, January 4, 1904, p. 8, and The History of JXCO, Ms., 1989, p. 367)

     

Ella and Charles Thomas were the parents of Marie T. Hardaway (1911-1995), the spouse of Harold H. Hardaway of Detroit, Michigan. The Thomas family resided at present day 503 Porter, the original Endt family homestead, which Ella had inherited from her mother, Theresa Herman Endt (1839-1914), upon her demise. Mrs. Thomas legated her home to her daughter, Marie T. Hardaway. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 42, p. 423 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 14,133-July 1959)

    

In January 1967, Mrs. Hardaway, a resident of Detroit, Michigan, sold the Endt familial home to Adam "Frenchie" Bourgeois (1914-1987). The consideration was $12,500. Here Mr. Bourgeois, a native of Raceland, Louisiana, opened a restaurant, "Frenchie’s Fine Foods". The Bangkok House, a Thai restaurant, occupies this structure today. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 304, p. 7)

     

Upon death, both Mr. and Mrs. Thomas were interred in the Thomas plot in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. (The Daily Herald, December 20, 1957, p. 2 and June 13, 1960, p. 2)

 

REFERENCES:

 

The History of Jackson County, Mississippi"George Washington Thomas"(Jackson County Genealogical Society: Pascagoula, Mississippi-1989).
 

Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 3434, "The Last Will of Theresa Endt"-1916.
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 14133, "The Last Will of Ella Thomas"-July 1959.

 

Journals

The Biloxi Daily Herald, "City News", January 2, 1904.
The Daily Herald,The Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs", May 3, 1927.
The Daily Herald, "Dale-Endt", March 7, 1929.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Endt Dies", December 26, 1931.
The Daily Herald, "Helena Endt Thomas", February 20, 1957.
The Daily Herald, "Charles L. Thomas", June 13, 1960.
The Daily Herald, "Joseph A. Wieder", September 19, 1960.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Mathilda Wieder", April 6, 1964.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Lelia Wieder", December 26, 1970.
The Gulf Coast Times, "W.S. Davidson Dies At Biloxi Hospital Wed.", December 1, 1950.
The Jackson County Times"Local News Interests", January 17, 1920.
The Jackson County Times"Dale Motor Has Modern Garage", June 12, 1926.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", August 11, 1928.
The Jackson County Times, "Crysell Fatally Injured in Railroad Accident on L&N", April 21, 1934.
The Jackson County Times, "Nelson-Endt", November 21, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, "Endt Services Are Held Here", July 16, 1948.
The Mississippi Press, "Ruth Clark Seymour Endt", May 12, 2000.
The Ocean Springs News, "Mrs. Theresa Endt", June 20, 1914.
The Ocean Springs News, "Alvin Endt", April 22, 1965.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Albert Anthony Endt", April 8, 1982.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Joseph Charles Wieder", June 28, 1990.
The Sun Herald, "Henry J. Endt Sr.", September 28, 1989.
The Sun Herald, "Maude Rebecca Endt", April 1, 2000.
The Sun Herald, "Bettie Boyd Endt", October 2, 1999.

The Sun Herald, "Alvin Endt", June 22, 2016.

 

Personal Communication:

Alice "Deets" Davidson Hire, February 23, 2002.


 

 

 

John R. Eglin 
John Reynaut Eglin (1879-1946) was born May 8, 1879. He never married and worked in the Eglin family mercantile and livestock business. In March 1927, the grocery store of John Eglin and the meat market of Charles Eglin, his brother, were united under a single, new roof, when local contractor, Frank Galle, remodeled their respective structures. A partition wall separated the two stores, but an interior door allowed customer access to both. The grocery store benefited as additional floor space was gained in the refurbishment. ( Lepre, 1991, p. 101 and The Jackson County Times, March 27, 1927)

 

East Ocean Springs residence
John R. Eglin owned and resided on a 20-acre tract of land in the old Shannondale Farm area, of eastern Ocean Springs, which the Fort Bayou Estates Subdivision is now situated. He acquired this parcel in the SW/4 of Section 21, T7S-R8W in November 1917, from A.C. Fraser. In March 1946, H.H. Hayden acquired the Eglin place from C.Z. Dickson. ( JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 45, p. 115 and Bk. 93, pp. 4-5)

Harry H. Hayden (1881-1954) was a native of New Harmony, Indiana. He married Nell Jones (1880-1945), also from New Harmony, and the daughter of Douglas Jones and Katharine Hurgate. They were the parents of two sons, John Douglas Hayden (1918-1998) of Ocean Springs and Henry Vincent Hayden (1904-1969) of Savannah, Georgia, and a daughter, Mrs. A.F. Green of Brooksville, Mississippi. In 1940, Mr. Hayden had come to Ocean Springs from northern Mississippi probably Noxubee County. He made his livelihood at Ocean Springs in real estate and banking. The Haydens also raised chickens. (The Daily Herald, December 20, 1954, p. 16 and Earl Taylor, May 2002)

The old Eglin place is now owned by James B. Martin who acquired the Hayden’s property in August 1977. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 608, p. 270)

John R. Eglin expired at the country home of his brother, Charles W. Eglin, on August 4, 1946. His funeral was held from the Bowen Avenue domicile of Eugenia Z. "Mallie" Eglin Armstrong (1877-1962), his sister. Internment was in the Evergreen Cemetery on Old Fort Bayou. (The Jackson County Times, August 10, 1946, p. 1)

Annie O. Eglin
Annie Olivia Eglin (1881-1963) was born March 26, 1881. She was educated in local schools and upon completion of her studies became employed in August 1900, at the telephone exchange above Nill's Drugstore, which was situated on the northwest corner of Washington and Porter. By 1902, Miss Eglin had taken a position as a schoolteacher at the Dogwood Point School in the Larue Community north of Ocean Springs. She boarded with Jessie L. McDaniels (1865-1951) and Ansteen Hanson McDaniels (1870-1960) who resided at the Hanson place in present day Gulf Hills. Mr. McDaniels had come from Cobden, Illinois to work on the Earle Farm (later Rose Farm). In September 1904, Annie went to Pascagoula to take teachers’ examination. She passed and planned to teach the winter term. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101, The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, May 23, 1902, The Progress, September 3, 1904, p. 5)

 

Banking
In 1909, Annie O. Eglin departed Ocean Springs to attend a business college in Mobile. After a few years with a local drugstore, she began a career circa 1911 in commercial banking with the Ocean Springs State Bank. By 1920, Annie Eglin was the assistant cashier of the bank and would serve as cashier for many decades retiring as vice-president in 1954, when the Pascagoula-Moss Point Bank bought out the Ocean Springs State Bank. (The Ocean Springs News,February 6, 1909 and March 7, 1963, p. 1)

The Eglin House
In June 1917, Annie O. Eglin purchased the Eglin House on Washington Avenue from the Heirs of Amelia Eglin who had died in May 1916. During her many years as proprietor of the Eglin House, Annie Eglin always resided here. It had a "homey" atmosphere and was very comfortable in the winter with its steam heat. There was a porch swing and rocking chairs. Several of the older, widowed, ladies lived here and would enjoy their time in idle conversation on the large gallery. In addition to the seven "tourist" rooms as they were called, there were also five apartments. Permanent guests resided in the apartments. Some of these long-term boarders were: Chester McPhearson (1883-1969), M. Catherine Hale Sousley (1891-1975), James and Marie I. Farley (1903-1977), Erica Carson and Mrs. Riley. Several single schoolteachers also lived at the Eglin House throughout the years. Elsie Seymour Ryan (1905-1989) worked for Miss Eglin as a cook and housekeeper from the late 1930s to the early 1950s. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 43, p. 608,The Daily Herald, September 22, 1964, p. 1, Dot Eglin Dees McKinnon, and Elaine Ryan Miller-September 1993,

Eulogy Annie Olivia Eglin expired at her tourist home at 635 Washington Avenue in early March 1963.
Kay Casson (1916-1988) writer for The Ocean Springs News, eulogized Miss Eglin as follows:

Miss Annie was one of our first contacts when we started coming down here during vacation periods the past ten years. We always engaged a room there. Nice and quite….beautiful period furniture and a charming, witty hostess, who took a keen interest in the area. Her interest in people never reached the stage where it could be termed "gossip" for Miss Annie wasn’t put together that way. She loved people for what they were. She never had time to search for the gossip side of the fence. She never married but she loved children. We used to look at Annie and wonder how she looked as a young lady. Have always been fascinated by "old maids" for they present a challenge for the average male. No doubt she was very beautiful. They say she had one real romance got engaged but it never materialized into matrimony. Apparently the scars were not too deep for she led a full life and will be remembered as one of the "doers" in the history of the town. The fact that she kept her daily routine close to the deep-rooted live oaks that faced her doorway for 82 years was in itself a remarkable event in a town where high transient living is the order of the day. Miss Annie has passed from the daily scene on Washington Avenue but the live oaks fronting the comfortable old home will remain as sentinels-a reminder of a quiet little lady who played a very important part in this town we call Ocean Springs. (The Ocean Springs News, March 7, 1963, p. 1)

The Fire
After Miss Annie Eglin's demise in 1963, the Eglin House was struck by catastrophe. In the early morning hours of September 22, 1964, a fire commenced in the roof of the building. Fire fighters from Ocean Springs and Biloxi responded to the alarm. With a valiant effort, they kept the fire contained to the second floor. Several residents on the upper level were stranded and had to be rescued by ladder. Unfortunately one elderly resident, Mr. James E. Farley (1880-1964), lost his life in the conflagration. The upper level of the Eglin House was completely destroyed by the fire. The first floor suffered heat and water damage. The loss to the Eglin heirs was estimated at $50,000. (The Ocean Springs News, October 1, 1964, p. 1 and The Ocean Springs News, October 1, 1964, p. 1)

Demolition-Villa Maria
After the fire, Clarence Galle (1912-1986) remodeled the Eglin House removing the upper story and reconfiguring the ground floor space for commercial rentals. Mr. Gallet demolished the old structure in January 1968. Thusly, closing the final chapter in the fifty plus year life of one of Washington Avenues most historic and architectural treasures. Realtor, J.K. Lemon (1914-1998), purchased the vacant lot from Don Y. Eglin and the other Eglin heirs in April 1968. Mr. Lemon then sold the property to the Catholic Charities Housing Association of Biloxi in February 1970. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 333, p. 23 and JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 371, p. 502 and Lex Eglin, September 16, 2003)

The Roman Catholic Church built the Villa Maria retirement home on a portion of the former Eglin House site in 1970-1971. The dedication ceremonies for the $3.5 million structure were held November 28, 1971. (The Ocean Springs RecordDecember 2, 1971, p. 1)

Charles W. Eglin
Charles William Eglin (1883-1966) was born October 26, 1882. He made his livelihood as a butcher and market proprietor. Mr. Eglin married Susan Carco (1884-1921), the daughter of Eugene Carco (1830-1900) and Anna Carter (1860-1927) on February 6, 1906. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 8, p. 15)

Charles W. Eglin and Susan C. Eglin were the parents of: Alma Eglin Hosey Garlick (1907-1996) who married W.H. "Duke" Hosey in February 1927 and Nicholas Garlick (1915-1986) in 1943; Don Y. Eglin (1908-1986) who married Alma Louise Ryan (1910-1998); Charles W. Eglin Jr. (1917-2002) married Irene?; and Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon (b. 1919) who married Joseph P. Dees (1910-1946) and Joseph M. McKinnon (1915-1980). (The Daily Herald, February 22, 1927, p. 2 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 6766-November 1942)

 

Eglin bungalow 
In late October 1917, the Eglin family began a transformation of their Washington Avenue property. The Eglin meat market was demolished in order that a new residence could be built for Charles Eglin and family. The Eglin restaurant was converted to a meat market and moved to the Knights of Pythias lot, which was about 65 feet south from its original location. G.N. Tillman (1872-1925) then commenced a craftsman bungalow for Charles Eglin, which was completed around Thanksgiving 1917. (The Jackson County Times, October 27, 1917 and November 24, 1917) The Charles Eglin bungalow was used as a rental when Mr. Eglin moved in the 1940s, to the Fort Bayou Community, now misnamed St. Martin by uniformed politicians and County officials. It was demolished circa 1966, by Clarence Galle (1912-1986). (Larry Galle and Lex Eglin, September 16, 2003)

Eglin country home
In August 1925, Charles W. Eglin began acquiring land in the Fort Bayou Community in the NE/4 of Section 9, T7S-R8W, when Raymond Garlotte sold him five acres. A large parcel of sixty-acres was bought in January 1932 from H.F. Russell (1858-1940), which was also situated in the NE/4 of Section 9, T7S-R8W. Mr. Eglin extended his Fort Bayou acreage into the NW/4 of Section 10, T7S-R8W in September 1940, with a10-acre acquisition from, Everett Byrd. The consideration was $500. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 57, pp. 522-523; Bk. 88, pp. 476-477; and Bk. 66, pp. 466-467) Here in the SW/4 of the NW/4 of Section 10, T7S-R8W, Mr. Eglin built a simple country home where he raised cattle, sheep, and other common farm animals. Before he retired permanently to the Fort Bayou Community, Mr. Eglin would leave his Washington Avenue meat market each evening a drive to his "farm", which was situated on the east side of Eglin Road, named for him, which runs north-south on the section line between Section 9 and Section 10 of T7S-R8W. Several years after Mr. Eglin’s death, his son, Lex Eglin, demolished the place. (Dot Eglin D. McKinnon, September 16, 2003)

 

Gertie Galle
After the untimely death of his wife, in January 1921, Charles W. Eglin married Gertrude "Gertie" Galle (1899-1951), in October 1925. Miss Galle was the daughter of Frank E. Galle (1877-1934) and Jesse Bird (1880-1942). They had two sons, Thomas Albert Eglin (1926-1942) and Alexis H. Eglin (b. 1929). Alexis H. Eglin married Treva Bauman (b. 1934), the daughter of Manuel Bauman (1904-1973) and Emma Mae King (1906-1988). (JXCO, Ms. MRB 17, p. 57)

Thomas A. Eglin was killed in an accident at the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation boatyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi in late October 1942, while employed as an inventory and control clerk, or steel checker, for an operating crane. He had been employed here for only five months. The Eglin family received $8000 for his accidental death from the corporation. (The Jackson County Times, October 31, 1942, p. 1 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 6924-August 1943)

Mrs. Gertie Eglin died at Biloxi on May 14, 1951. Her corporal remains were interred in the Evergreen Cemetery. Circa 1941, Charles W. Eglin retired to his farm north of Old Fort Bayou on Eglin Road, south of Fort Bayou Road. He lived here until late June 1966, when he met death in Howard Memorial Hospital in Biloxi. (The Daily Herald, May 14, 1951, p. 3 and The Daily Herald, June 24, 1966, p. 2)

Eglin Cleaners
In the late 1940s, Charles W. Eglin Jr. (1917-2002) opened a dry cleaning service on the east side of Jackson Avenue between Porter and Desoto. He advertised his enterprise with this slogan-"Work called for and Delivered-Prompt Service"After several years, Mr. Eglin and his spouse closed the business and relocated to her natal State, New York. After their careers had ended, the Eglins retired to Florida. It is believed that Malcolm F. "Bud" Hodges (b. 1928) acquired the dry cleaning business from Charles W. Eglin Jr. (The Jackson County Times, May 24, 1947, p. 8 and Dot Eglin D. McKinnon, September 16, 2003)

 

Eulalie M. Busbee 
Eulalie Marie "Lillie" Eglin (1885-1971) was born January 8, 1885. She married James Busbee of Mobile, Alabama on November 12, 1907. They had three sons born in Alabama: Wilbur J. Busbee (1909-1991); Carl Busbee (1910-1987); and Everett Eglin or Elkin Busbee (1912-1987) married five times: married Gladys McGinty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.S. McGinty on July 21, 1951; married about 1961, Rena C. Broussard (1924-1997), who was born at Youngsville, Louisiana. Worked at the Post Office and retired. Mrs. Busbee expired in early November 1971. Her remains were interred at Fort Worth, Texas. No further information. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101, JXCO, Ms. MRB 8, p. 428 and The Ocean Springs Record, November 8, 1971, p. 3 and The Daily Herald, July 23, 1951, p. 2)

 

Verna O. Eglin
Verna Orelia Eglin (1886-1886) was born February 19, 1886. She died on October 1, 1886. (Lepre, 1989, p. 47 and Lepre, 1991, p. 102)

 

Thomas A. Eglin
Thomas Anthony Eglin (1887-1914) was born December 19, 1887. He was employed as a flagman on L&N Train No. 38, better known as the New York Limited. He was killed by bandits who robbed the conductor and baggage man for less than $20 on July 17, 1914. The armed robbery took place on the eastern outskirts of New Orleans. Mr. Eglin’s corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery at Ocean Springs. Thomas A. Eglin was a bachelor. (Lepre, 1991, p. 102 and The Ocean Springs News, July 18, 1914, p. 1)