Interesting Things

By Ray L. Bellande

Primary tabs

Gay-Lemon Park

 

Gay - Lemon Park

[image made 2005]

 

Gay-Lemon Park

Gay-Lemon Park is a ten-acre recreational site located in the NW/4, SW/4, of the SW/4 of Section 23, T7S-R8W.  This land was part of a larger parcel acquired in October 1946, from W.E. Applegate Jr. (1876-1948) by J.C. “Champ” Gay (1909-1975).(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 95, pp. 15-16, Bk.)

            J.K. Lemon became Mr. Gay’s partner in March 1952, after H.P. Heidelberg, a Pascagoula attorney, cleared the title for them.  Champ Gay sold his one-half interest to Fred L. Lemon in March 1961.  In July 1971, George J. Sliman (1934-1997), a local developer and proprietor of Le Moyne Associe’, Inc. bought the tract from the Lemon brothers.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 123, p. 383-385, Bk. 206, p. 338 and Bk. 407, pp. 7-9)

Le Moyne Associe’ conveyed the ten acres to the City of Ocean Springs in December 1973.  In the Sliman warranty deed to the City, the following was related:

 

“property is conveyed for use as a park or for school purposes with the request that the request that area be honoring the Lemon and Gay families of Ocean Springs, Mississippi”.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 485, p. 573)

           

             Construction of three soccer fields and two softball diamonds at the Gay-Lemon Park commenced in August 1979.(The Ocean Springs Record, August 30, 1979, p. 1 and September 13, 1979, p. 10)