- Printer-friendly version
- 927 views
Albert Minrat Eglin (1852-1891) a French-speaking immigrant from Alsace in northeastern France settled at Ocean Springs circa 1870. Albert M. Eglin married Amelia Solitelle Krohn (1855-1916) on October 30, 1873. She was the daughter of John Henry Krohn (1831-1912), the son of Henry A. Krohn (1802-1853) and Marie Solitelle Cuevas (1808-1861), and Zeolide Seymour (1836-1898), the daughter of Jean-Baptise Seymour (1812-1887) and Marie Fournier (1817-1890). Here on Washington Avenue in the heart of Ocean Springs, the Eglins reared their eight children: Albert M. Eglin Jr. (1874-1904), Eugenia Z. Eglin Armstrong (1877-1962), John R. Eglin (1879-1946), Annie O. Eglin (1881-1963), Charles W. Eglin (1883-1966), Marie Eulalie "Lillie" Eglin Busbee (1885-1971), Verna O. Eglin (1886-1886), Thomas A. Eglin (1887-1914), and Magdalen "Lena" G. Eglin Wilbert (1890-1928).
The Albert M. Eglin Family (1887)
(top: Eugenia Eglin Armstrong (1877-1962) and Albert M. Eglin Jr. (1874-1904); middle: Albert M. Eglin (1852-1891), Amelia Krohn Eglin (1855-1916), and John R. Eglin (1879-1946); bottom: Charles W. Eglin (1883-1966), Marie Eulalie "Lillie" Eglin Busbee (1885-1971), Annie O. Eglin (1881-1963), and Thomas A. Eglin (1887-1914). Other family members were: Verna O. Eglin (1886-1886) and Magdalen G. "Lena" Eglin Gilbert (1890-1928).
Amelia Krohn Eglin (1855-1916)
[Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida]
In September 1873, Albert M. Eglin purchased for $400, Lot 9 of Block 27 from Ferdinand William Illing (1838-1884), himself a recent immigrant and native of Regansburg, Bavaria, Germany. The lot had a front of 105 feet on Washington Avenue. It and was 200 feet deep, and faced Bowen Avenue to the east. Amelia Krohn Eglin acquired from her father in September 1887, Lot 10 of Block 27, which was south of and contiguous to their homestead on Washington Avenue from her father. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 2, pp. 153-154 and JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 8, p. 722)
These two lots on the west side of Washington Avenue between Porter and Government Street were occupied or possessed in whole or parts as the homestead and business locale for various members of the Eglin family of Ocean Springs for almost a century.
The Slaughter House lot
Between September 1888 and March 1891, Albert M. Eglin acquired about 11 acres of land along County Road, now Government Street, in the SW/4 of Section 20, T7S-R8W. The vendors were local, successful businessmen like: H.F. Russell (1858-1940), John Duncan Minor (1863-1920), George W. Davis (1842-1914), Elias S. Davis (1859-1925), F.M. Weed (1850-1926), and E.N. Ramsay (1832-1916). Today we could identify this eleven-acre tract as being on the north side of Government Street between Pine Drive and Bills Avenue south of the CSX Railroad right-of-way. Here on County Road, Mr. Eglin and his sons maintained a large pasture were they grazed and fed their cattle before they were made into beef at their slaughterhouse. The beef was further butchered and sold in the Eglin meat market on Washington Avenue. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 9, p. 443, Bk. 10, p. 413, Bk. 12, p. 20, and Bk. 12, p. 271) In April 1924, the Heirs of Amelia Krohn Eglin sold the "Slaughterhouse Lot" to Georgia Sarah McIntosh Lemon (1884-1939) for $1600. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 53, pp. 634-635).
Albert M. Eglin made his livelihood as a butcher, a trade, which was followed by his son, Charles Eglin. After his death in September 1891, Mrs. Eglin and young sons, Charles and John Eglin, continued the meat market on Washington Avenue. In the 1894 Ocean Springs Directory, Mrs. Eglin ran the following advertisement:
Mrs. A. Eglin(Widow)
Fresh Beef, Mutton, Veal, Pork, etc., etc.Free DeliveryAlways ready to buy desirable market stock
The year 1904 commenced on a sad note as a fire had destroyed three buildings on the Eglin tract on Washington Avenue in December1903. The Eglins were very hard working people. Almost immediately after the 1903 fire, Mrs. Amelia Eglin began rebuilding. She added on to her restaurant, and was considering a new store building to replace the one destroyed by the conflagration. ( The Progress, January 16, 1904, p. 4)
Eglin House [circa 1935]
In the early morning hours of September 22, 1964, a fire commenced in the roof of the building. Fire fighters from Ocean Springs and Biloxi responded to the alarm. With a valiant effort, they kept the fire contained to the second floor. Several residents on the upper level were stranded and had to be rescued by ladder. Unfortunately one elderly resident, Mr. James E. Farley (1880-1964), lost his life in the conflagration. The upper level of the Eglin House was completely destroyed by the fire. The first floor suffered heat and water ruin. The loss to the Eglin heirs was estimated at $50,000. Clarence Galle (1912-1986) tore down the old structure in January 1968. Thusly, closed the final chapter in the fifty plus year life of one of Washington Avenues most historic architectural treasures.
[Courtesy of Dorothy 'Dot' Eglin Dees McKinnon]
The Eglin House
The 1909 Sanborn Insurance Map of Ocean Springs indicates that the Eglins had built a large two-story house on Lot 9,which would become their rooming and boarding house. There is a good possibility that it was in operation as early as 1909. In the 1910 Census, Amelia K. Eglin lists her occupation as boarding house proprietor.
In 1916, the following advertisement appeared in a pamphlet on Ocean Springs:
THE EGLIN HOUSE
By the Day, Week or Month Rates Reasonable
FIRST CLASS RESTAURANT IN CONNECTION THE EGLIN HOUSE is operated by Mrs. A. Eglin. who provides first-class accommodations for winter tourists. Her rooms are comfortably furnished, and adjoining her home is a first-class restaurant. Mrs. Eglin has been identified with Ocean Springs for forty-one years. She is the proprietor of Eglin's meat market, which has been established all of these years. She owns considerable real estate and takes an active interest in the building of Ocean Springs. (reprinted in the The Ocean Springs News, January 6, 1966, p. 2)
Through the years, the Eglin family was deeply involved in the commerce along the west side of Washington Avenue. At various times, an Eglin was involved in such businesses as: feed store, pool hall, meat market, grocery store, lunch room, restaurant, mercantile store, dry cleaning, and rooming house. A good example of Eglin entrepreneurial spirit was exhibited in March 1927, as reported by The Jackson County Times: The grocery store owned by John R. Eglin and meat market owned by Charles Eglin will soon be under one roof. Contractor Frank Galle, Sr. is now remodeling the building and putting a new roof over both. A partition will separate the two businesses, but there will be an inside connecting door. The alteration will give the grocery store a much larger space to display goods.
In 1895, Amelia K. Eglin filed a cause in the Chancery Court of Jackson County, Mississippi in a legal maneuver to collect alleged money and property in Germany from the estate of her late husband, Albert M. Eglin, who had passed on September 25, 1891. After investigating, she could not locate any real estate in Germany possessed of her late spouse. She averred that the only property owned by Albert M. Eglin was the real estate that they occupied and jointly used in Jackson County, Mississippi. (JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court cause No. 624-April 1895). After ailing for some time, Amelia K. Eglin died at Ocean Springs on May 28, 1916. Her corporal remains were passed through the Catholic Church before internment in the Bellande Cemetery to rest beside her late husband and baby daughter, Verna O. Eglin (1886-1886), who passed on October 1,1886. (The Daily Herald, May 30, 1916, p. 7)
A brief biography of the children of Albert M. Eglin and Amelia K. Eglin follows:
Albert M. Eglin Jr.
[Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida]
Albert M. Eglin Jr.
Albert Minrat Eglin Jr. (1874-1904) was born at Ocean Springs on August 3, 1874. In November 1894, he married Julie Annie Thomas (1878-1960+), the daughter of George Washington Thomas (1854-1932) and Laura Lavinia Sutton (1853-ca 1887). The Eglins had two children, Martha Lavinia "Myrtle" Eglin Foehl (1896-1960+) and Clair Alberta Eglin Boddy (1903-1997). Mr. Eglin expired at his home in Ocean Springs on January 19,1904. He had been very ill for several days before his demise. His corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. (Lepre, 1989, p. 46, History of JXCO, Ms., 1989, p. 367, and The Biloxi Daily Herald, January 19, 1904, p. 1)
Family lore passed down from Clair Eglin Boddy to Linda Olson , her granddaughter, relates that Albert M. Eglin Jr. died from heat stroke, due to fighting the January 1904 fire in the Eglin buildings on Washington Ave. Albert went into the fire several times trying to help and was overcome by the heat. Before he expired, Albert requested that his wife, Julia Thomas Eglin, place Clair Eglin, his baby girl by his side. He died shortly thereafter.(Linda Olson, Pensacola, Florida August 2, 2007)
In February 1904, Amelia K. Eglin was appointed guardian of Myrtle and Clair Eglin, her granddaughters, as well as her own minor children, Lillie Eglin, Thomas A. Eglin, and Lena Eglin. Myrtle and Clair were awarded a 1/27th share in the estate of their grandfather, Albert M. Eglin, and his children received a 1/9th share. (JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 1257-February 1904)
In September 1916, over a decade after the demise of her husband, Annie Thomas Eglin married John Joseph Donovan of Mobile in the home of Walter G. Armstrong (1878-1945). Father W.S. Irwin, the pastor in residence at St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church presided over the nuptial ceremony. The Donovans planned to make their future residence in Mobile. (The Jackson County Times, September 16, 1916 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 11, p. 249)
Julie A. Thomas Eglin Donovan [1878-1960+]
[Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida]
George Washington Thomas [1852-1932]
[Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida]
George W. Thomas was the father of Julie Annie Thomas Eglin Donovan (1878-1960+). Anecdotal history relates that he had planted the oak trees along Washington Avenue, which today make Ocean Springs so unique and beautiful. George W. Thomas (1854-1932) was a native of Jasper County, Mississippi. He resided most of his life at Ocean Springs were he farmed, worked for the L&N Railroad, was a teamster, and in later life was considered an expert gardener. Geroge W.Thomas had two families. With his first wife, Laura Sutton (1853-1887), an Alabama native, Thomas fathered: Julie Annie Thomas Eglin (1878-1960+), Charles L. Thomas (b. 1878), James Acey Thomas (1882-1919), and Edith T. Armstrong (1886-1967). After Laura died , George W. Thomas married Evelyn Woodcock (1867-1904) of Ocean Springs. They were married in 1889 and had the following children: Mary Jane (Mollie) Penton (1890-1978), Georgia LeBatard (1893-1976), Jessie William Thomas (1894-1906), Harold Thomas (b. 1896), Aline T. (b. 1899), and Lee J. Thomas (1902-1958). Another child died in infancy.(Hines, 1979, p. 75 and The History of Jackson County, Ms., 1989, p. 367)
Children of Albert M. Eglin Jr. and Julie A. Thomas Eglin
Martha L. Eglin Foehl [1896-1960+]
[L-R: Martha Eglin Foehl and unknown. Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida)]
Martha L. Eglin Foehl
Martha Lavinia Eglin Foehl (1896-1960+) was born at Ocean Springs, Mississippi on February 20, 1896. Circa 1915, she married William Foehl (1888-1930+), a native of Muskingum County, Ohio. His parents, Adam John Foehl (1856-1910+) and Pauline Foehl (1861-1910+), were 1881 and 1884 German immigrants from Wurtemberg. In Ohio, Adam J. Foehl was a farmer.(1900 T623 1310, Muskingum, Co., Ohio, Federal Census T623 1310, p. 15A, ED 46)
Martha and William Foehl made their home at Mobile, Alabama where William worked for the L&N Railroad as a brakeman and conductor. Here, on Conception Street they reared four children: William C. Foehl (1917-1979), Dorothy Foehl (1921-1930+), Myrtice Foehl (1924-1930+), and Gloria Foehl (b. 1930). No further information.
Clair Alberta Eglin Boddy [1903-1997]
[first image made 1926. All images courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida]
Clair A. Eglin Boddy
Clair Alberta Eglin Boddy (1903-1997), called 'Dodie' was born at Ocean Springs on November 1, 1903. Circa 1923, she married Edward Stratton Boddy (1895-1976), a native of Baldwin County, Alabama, and one of the eight children of Edward Boddy (1865-1920+) and Emily Boddy (1873-1920+). In 1900, Edward Boddy, a native of New York of Canadian parents, and his Alabama born spouse were domiciled at Battles Wharf, Baldwin County, Alabama. Here he made his livelihood as a potter.(1900 Baldwin Co., Alabama Federal CensusT623 1, p. 2B, ED 6)
By 1910, the Edward Boddy family had settled at Mobile where he was employed unloading ships at the Port of Mobile.(1910 Mobile Co., Alabama Federal Census )
In 1920, Edward S. Boddy toiled as a baker in Mobile and lived with his parents.(1920 Mobile Co., Alabama Federal Census T625_35, p. 11B, ED 114)
Edward Stratton Boddy Family [circa 1938]
[L-R: Mildred Clair Boddy Shepard (1926-2003); Edward S. Boddy Jr. (b. 1935); and Clair A. Eglin Boddy (1903-1997. Courtesy of Linda Shephard Olson-Pensacola, Florida)
By 1930, Claire Eglin Boddy and Edward S. Boddy had lived in Florida, probably Pensacola, where their first child,Mildred Clair Boddy (1926-2003) who married Louis Shephard (b. 1925), was born in September 1926. In 1930, they had relocated to Bay Minette, Baldwin County where he worked as a baker. Eventually, Edward S. Boddy and family returned to Pensacola, Florida where Mr. Boddy joined Smith's Bakery and eventually became a company supervisor. Edward S. Boddy Jr. (b. 1935) was born at Pensacola. Edward Stratton Boddy expired at Pensacola in 1976. Clair Eglin Boddy lived until October 26, 1997. Her corporal remains were interred in the Magnolia Cemetery at Mobile, Alabama.(1930 Baldwin Co., Alabama Federal Census R2, p. 11A, ED 4 and Linda Shephard Olson, Pensacola, Florida August 2, 2007)
Eugenia Z. Eglin Armstrong
Eugenia Zeolide "Gallie" Eglin (1877-1962) was born July 8, 1877. She married Henry L. Armstrong (1874-1945), on September 18, 1900, in Jackson County, Mississippi. (Lepre, 1989, p. 101 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 7, p. 74)
Henry L. Armstrong was a native of Woolmarket, Harrison Couty, Mississippi. He was the son of George Armstrong (b. 1846), an Alabaman, and Matilda Parker (b. 1840). In Harrison County, George Armstrong worked in the lumber industry as a sawmill worker. He married Matilda Parker in 1869. The Armstrongs reared their seven children in the piney woods of southern Harrison County: Emily Armstrong (b. 1869), James Armstrong (1871-1944), Julia Armstrong Seymour (1872-1945+), Henry L. Armstrong (1874-1945), Mary Armstrong Ryan (1876-1945+), Walter G. Armstrong (1878-1945), and Ida Armstrong (b. 1880).
Henry L. Armstrong (1874-1975)
Postman Armstrong joined the US Postal System in 1919 and retired August 1, 1939. He is seen here posting mail on Bowen Avenue just east of Kotzum.
Henry L. Armstrong arrived in ocean Springs in 1896 and initially made his living as a farmer. At Ocean Springs, he joined the L&N Railroad and was with that transportation organization for eighteen years. After a few years at the shipyard in Pascagoula, Armstrong went to work on December 1, 1919, for the United States Postal Service as a rural mail carrier. His daily mail route encompassed about fifteen miles, which he traversed on foot six days each week with the exception of Sunday and during his thirty-day annual vacation. It was estimated that Armstrong walked about 4500 miles each year to post the mail. Henry L. Armstrong is also remembered for the pony cart in which he delivered the mail until his retirement due to failing health in August 1939. Clem Spencer of Biloxi replaced him.(The Daily Herald, December 6, 1922, p. 2, August 3, 1939, p. 2, October 11, 1945, p. 8, and J.K. Lemon-April 1993) )
Mr. Armstrong served as Alderman from Ward One from 1943-1945. He was also active in the business and social aspects of the community serving as president of the Hook and Ladder Fire Company, Superintendent of the Ocean Springs Water Works Department, Director of the Farmers and Merchants State Bank, Member of the Woodmen of the World, and McLeod Masonic Lodge No. 424, and an founder of the Mississippi Coast Baseball League. Base ball was Armstrong’s hobby. (The Daily Herald, October 11, 1945, p. 8)
1112 Bowen Avenue [built 1895]
In June 1895, Joseph Pol (1866-1942), a ship carpenter from Pascagoula and native of Majorca, Balearic Islands, Spain, was selected to erect this Italianate-styled cottage at present day 1112 Bowen Avenue for Henry .A. Vaughan of Louisville, Kentucky. The foundation for this fine edifice was laid in early June 1895. It is interesting to note that Joseph Pol had completed a new racing yacht prior to commencing construction of the Vaughan-Platt cottage.(The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, May 24, 1895)(The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, May 24, 1895, June 14, 1985 and July 19, 1895)
1112 Bowen Avenue
The Armstrong family resided at present day 1112 Bowen Avenue from September 1912 until March 1948. They acquired the Vaughan-Platt Cottage, a fine example of the blending of Queen Anne and Italianate architecture, from local contractor, Frank Bourgh. In March 1948, the widow Armstrong and children conveyed their home of thirty-six years to Alceide A. Veillon (1862-1949) and spouse, Antoinette Haas Veillon (1869-1953). (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 38, p. 462 and Book 100, pp. 418-419)
At Ocean Springs, the Armstrongs reared their two children: Rollin Stanley Armstrong (1907-1979), andBernadette A. Cavanah (1909-1962+).
Major Rollin Stanley Armstrong (1907-1979)
(from The Jackson County Times, February 12, 1944, p. 1)
Rollin S. "Polly" Armstrong
Rollin S. Armstrong (1907-1979), called Stanley and "Polly", worked at the post office as a young man. He graduated from Biloxi High School and studied engineering at Mississippi A&M. graduating in 1930. At Biloxi High, Polly excelled in baseball and basketball and was deemed an average football player. In his freshman year at Mississippi A&M, he made both the basketball and baseball teams and was expected to play varsity basketball his sophomore season. Armstrong played hard ball on the Mississippi coast with the L&N team during the 1927 summer season of the Biloxi Baseball League. (The Jackson County Times, June 8, 1927, p. 3)
Polly Armstrong was a fine baseball player and manned first base for the Ocean Springs Cubs in 1929 and 1935, when they were pennant winners of the Mississippi Amateur Coast League. The 1935 team, which was sponsored by Henry Johnson Terry (1890-1975), was also the State Champion. (The Jackson County Times, September 7, 1929, p. 3, January 29, 1944, p. 1, and The Ocean Springs Record, December 14, 1972)
Polly Armstrong was employed in the local post office until he moved to Jackson, Mississippi in March 1936, to work for the Mississippi State Highway Department. In 1932, Armstrong had enlisted in the Army National Guard. He was a Lieutenant at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in December 1936. Armstrong went into WWII, with his U.S. Army unit in 1941. He served as a Major in the North African campaign and in Italy. In early January 1944, his left knee was fractured by enemy shrapnel from a shell burst at Cassino, Italy, a German salient in the Gustav Line defending the route to Rome. After three and one half months of fierce combat, Cassino fell to the Allies on May 17, 1944. Major Armstrong was sent to the Kennedy General Hospital at Memphis, Tennessee to recuperate from his injuries and receive the "Purple Heart" military decoration. (The Jackson County Times, March 7, 1936, p. 3, December 26, 1936, p. 4,January 29, 1944, p. 1, April 24, 1944, p. 1, and Webster’s New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p. 226)
In 1937, Polly Armstrong had joined Mississippi Power and Light as a commercial salesman in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Previously he had worked in St. Louis for Century Electric. Armstrong was promoted rapidly by Mississippi Power and Light until he was made manager at Natchez, Mississippi in June 1939. The Armstrongs made their home at 1010 Melrose Avenue at Natchez.(The Jackson County Times, June 24, 1939, p. 1)
Prior to WWII, Stanley Armstrong had married a Tupelo native, Rebecca Pou. The Armstrongs had two sons, Rollin S. Armstrong Jr. (1943-1947), Scott Armstrong (adopted), and David Armstrong (b. 1951). David Armstrong lived at Gulfport from 1993-1994. He was the assistant executive director of the Harrison County Tourist Commission before relocating to Jackson. David served the city of Natchez as its Mayor elect from 1988 to 1992. David Armstrong is well educated having attained a Master’s degree in Political Science from Mississippi State University and a law degree from Ole Miss. (The Sun Herald, October 1, 1993, p. C-6)
Bernadette Armstrong Cavanah
In November 1929, Bernadette Armstrong (1909-1962+) married Ernest Cavanah (1901-1986), the son of S.N. Cavanah of Hopkinsville, Kentucky. They resided initially at Marietta, Georgia, where Mr. Cavanah was employed with the telephone company. In November 1931, they were domiciled at Crofton, Kentucky. (The Jackson County Times, November 16, 1929 and The Jackson County Times, November 1931)
In June 1937, the Cavanahs acquired a Queen Anne cottage from Charles F. Rehage at present day 524 Jackson Avenue. Ernest worked in Biloxi for the Home Milk Products Company while Bernadette was employed with Ellzey's Hardware in the same city. Mr. Cavanah sold his domicile to E. Wilfred Ross (b. 1935) and spouse in June 1963, after the death of his mother-in-law, Eugenia Eglin Armstrong, and wife, Bernadette A. Cavanah. He returned to his native Hopkinsville, Kentucky where he passed in July 1986. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 70, p. 88 and Book 243, p. 63)
Georgia Pearl Cavanah
On January 22, 1940, at the Methodist parsonage in Ocean Springs, Georgia Pearl Cavanah, the sister of Ernest Cavanah, married Raymond W. Jackson (b. 1919), the son of Warren Jackson (1886-1972) and Ruth Walker Jackson. The groom was born in Washington, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Ocean Springs High School in 1938, and attended Mississippi State College. In 1939, Miss Cavanah resided at 524 Jackson Avenue with her brother and sister-in-law, Ernest Cavanah and Bernadette Armstrong Cavanah, while attending the Ocean Springs High School. Mr. Jackson was employed at the Jackson County Woolen Mills at Pascagoula. (The Jackson County Times, November 18, 1939, p. 4 and January 27, 1940, p. 1)
At the time of his death on October 10, 1945, Henry L. Armstrong was survived by his immediate family and his brother, Walter G. Armstrong (1878-1945) of Ocean Springs, and three sisters: Mrs. Henry Seymour (Julia), Mrs. Cyril Ryan (Mary) and Mrs. George Bennett. (The Daily Herald, October 11, 1945 p. 8) Eugenia Eglin Armstrong lived until August 4, 1962. She was residing at 524 Jackson Avenue with her daughter and son-in-law, when she met her demise. Her corporal remains were interred in the family burial plot in the Evergreen Cemetery on Old Fort Bayou. She rests here with her husband and grandson, Rollin S. Armstrong Jr. (The Daily Herald, August 6, 1962, p. 2)
John R. Eglin
John Reynaut Eglin (1879-1946) was born May 8, 1879. He never married and worked in the Eglin family mercantile and livestock business. In March 1927, the grocery store of John Eglin and the meat market of Charles Eglin, his brother, were united under a single, new roof, when local contractor, Frank Galle, remodeled their respective structures. A partition wall separated the two stores, but an interior door allowed customer access to both. The grocery store benefited as additional floor space was gained in the refurbishment. ( Lepre, 1991, p. 101 and The Jackson County Times, March 27, 1927)
East Ocean Springs residence
John R. Eglin owned and resided on a 20-acre tract of land in the old Shannondale Farm area, of eastern Ocean Springs, which the Fort Bayou Estates Subdivision is now situated. He acquired this parcel in the SW/4 of Section 21, T7S-R8W in November 1917, from A.C. Fraser. In March 1946, H.H. Hayden acquired the Eglin place from C.Z. Dickson. ( JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 45, p. 115 and Bk. 93, pp. 4-5)
Harry H. Hayden (1881-1954) was a native of New Harmony, Indiana. He married Nell Jones (1880-1945), also from New Harmony, and the daughter of Douglas Jones and Katharine Hurgate. They were the parents of two sons, John Douglas Hayden (1918-1998) of Ocean Springs and Henry Vincent Hayden (1904-1969) of Savannah, Georgia, and a daughter, Mrs. A.F. Green of Brooksville, Mississippi. In 1940, Mr. Hayden had come to Ocean Springs from northern Mississippi probably Noxubee County. He made his livelihood at Ocean Springs in real estate and banking. The Haydens also raised chickens. (The Daily Herald, December 20, 1954, p. 16 and Earl Taylor, May 2002)
The old Eglin place is now owned by James B. Martin who acquired the Hayden’s property in August 1977. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 608, p. 270)
John R. Eglin expired at the country home of his brother, Charles W. Eglin, on August 4, 1946. His funeral was held from the Bowen Avenue domicile of Eugenia Z. "Mallie" Eglin Armstrong (1877-1962), his sister. Internment was in the Evergreen Cemetery on Old Fort Bayou. (The Jackson County Times, August 10, 1946, p. 1)
Annie O. Eglin
Annie Olivia Eglin (1881-1963) was born March 26, 1881. She was educated in local schools and upon completion of her studies became employed in August 1900, at the telephone exchange above Nill's Drugstore, which was situated on the northwest corner of Washington and Porter. By 1902, Miss Eglin had taken a position as a schoolteacher at the Dogwood Point School in the Larue Community north of Ocean Springs. She boarded with Jessie L. McDaniels (1865-1951) and Ansteen Hanson McDaniels (1870-1960) who resided at the Hanson place in present day Gulf Hills. Mr. McDaniels had come from Cobden, Illinois to work on the Earle Farm (later Rose Farm). In September 1904, Annie went to Pascagoula to take teachers’ examination. She passed and planned to teach the winter term. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101, The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, May 23, 1902, The Progress, September 3, 1904, p. 5)
In 1909, Annie O. Eglin departed Ocean Springs to attend a business college in Mobile. After a few years with a local drugstore, she began a career circa 1911 in commercial banking with the Ocean Springs State Bank. By 1920, Annie Eglin was the assistant cashier of the bank and would serve as cashier for many decades retiring as vice-president in 1954, when the Pascagoula-Moss Point Bank bought out the Ocean Springs State Bank. (The Ocean Springs News,February 6, 1909 and March 7, 1963, p. 1)
The Eglin House
In June 1917, Annie O. Eglin purchased the Eglin House on Washington Avenue from the Heirs of Amelia Eglin who had died in May 1916. During her many years as proprietor of the Eglin House, Annie Eglin always resided here. It had a "homey" atmosphere and was very comfortable in the winter with its steam heat. There was a porch swing and rocking chairs. Several of the older, widowed, ladies lived here and would enjoy their time in idle conversation on the large gallery. In addition to the seven "tourist" rooms as they were called, there were also five apartments. Permanent guests resided in the apartments. Some of these long-term boarders were: Chester McPhearson (1883-1969), M. Catherine Hale Sousley (1891-1975), James and Marie I. Farley (1903-1977), Erica Carson and Mrs. Riley. Several single schoolteachers also lived at the Eglin House throughout the years. Elsie Seymour Ryan (1905-1989) worked for Miss Eglin as a cook and housekeeper from the late 1930s to the early 1950s. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 43, p. 608,The Daily Herald, September 22, 1964, p. 1, Dot Eglin Dees McKinnon, and Elaine Ryan Miller-September 1993,
Annie Olivia Eglin expired at her tourist home at 635 Washington Avenue in early March 1963.
Kay Casson (1916-1988) writer for The Ocean Springs News, eulogized Miss Eglin as follows:
Miss Annie was one of our first contacts when we started coming down here during vacation periods the past ten years. We always engaged a room there. Nice and quite….beautiful period furniture and a charming, witty hostess, who took a keen interest in the area. Her interest in people never reached the stage where it could be termed "gossip" for Miss Annie wasn’t put together that way. She loved people for what they were. She never had time to search for the gossip side of the fence. She never married but she loved children. We used to look at Annie and wonder how she looked as a young lady. Have always been fascinated by "old maids" for they present a challenge for the average male. No doubt she was very beautiful. They say she had one real romance got engaged but it never materialized into matrimony. Apparently the scars were not too deep for she led a full life and will be remembered as one of the "doers" in the history of the town. The fact that she kept her daily routine close to the deep-rooted live oaks that faced her doorway for 82 years was in itself a remarkable event in a town where high transient living is the order of the day. Miss Annie has passed from the daily scene on Washington Avenue but the live oaks fronting the comfortable old home will remain as sentinels-a reminder of a quiet little lady who played a very important part in this town we call Ocean Springs. (The Ocean Springs News, March 7, 1963, p. 1)
After Miss Annie Eglin's demise in 1963, the Eglin House was struck by catastrophe. In the early morning hours of September 22, 1964, a fire commenced in the roof of the building. Fire fighters from Ocean Springs and Biloxi responded to the alarm. With a valiant effort, they kept the fire contained to the second floor. Several residents on the upper level were stranded and had to be rescued by ladder. Unfortunately one elderly resident, Mr. James E. Farley (1880-1964), lost his life in the conflagration. The upper level of the Eglin House was completely destroyed by the fire. The first floor suffered heat and water damage. The loss to the Eglin heirs was estimated at $50,000. (The Ocean Springs News, October 1, 1964, p. 1 and The Ocean Springs News, October 1, 1964, p. 1)
After the fire, Clarence Galle (1912-1986) remodeled the Eglin House removing the upper story and reconfiguring the ground floor space for commercial rentals. Mr. Gallet demolished the old structure in January 1968. Thusly, closing the final chapter in the fifty plus year life of one of Washington Avenues most historic and architectural treasures. Realtor, J.K. Lemon (1914-1998), purchased the vacant lot from Don Y. Eglin and the other Eglin heirs in April 1968. Mr. Lemon then sold the property to the Catholic Charities Housing Association of Biloxi in February 1970. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 333, p. 23 and JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 371, p. 502 and Lex Eglin, September 16, 2003)
The Roman Catholic Church built the Villa Maria retirement home on a portion of the former Eglin House site in 1970-1971. The dedication ceremonies for the $3.5 million structure were held November 28, 1971. (The Ocean Springs Record, December 2, 1971, p. 1)
Charles W. Eglin
Charles William Eglin (1883-1966) was born October 26, 1882. He made his livelihood as a butcher and market proprietor. Mr. Eglin married Susan Carco (1884-1921), the daughter of Eugene Carco (1830-1900) and Anna Carter (1860-1927) on February 6, 1906. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101 and JXCO, Ms. MRB 8, p. 15)
[L-R: Jimmy Edwards, Dot Eglin (1919-2014), Robert Lynn Maxwell, Ellie Maxwell Kline, and Mike Mitchell (1918-2003)]
[image made on Washington Avenue circa 1937, probably in front of the Charles W. Eglin home. Courtesy of Dorothy 'Dot' Eglin Dees McKinnon]
Charles W. Eglin and Susan Carco Eglin were the parents of: Alma Eglin Hosey Garlick (1907-1996) who married W.H. "Duke" Hosey in February 1927 and Nicholas Garlick (1915-1986) in 1943; Don Y. Eglin (1908-1986) who married Alma Louise Ryan (1910-1998); Charles W. Eglin Jr. (1917-2002) married Irene?; and Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon (1919-2014) who married Joseph P. Dees (1910-1946) and Joseph M. McKinnon (1915-1980). (The Daily Herald, February 22, 1927, p. 2 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 6766-November 1942)
1917 Charles W. Eglin Bungalow
[Located on the west side of Washington Avenue between Bowen and Porter. Demolished circa 1966. Courtesy of Dorothy 'Dot' Eglin Dees McKinnon]
In late October 1917, the Eglin family began a transformation of their Washington Avenue property. The Eglin meat market was demolished in order that a new residence could be built for Charles Eglin and family. The Eglin restaurant was converted to a meat market and moved to the Knights of Pythias lot, which was about 65 feet south from its original location. G.N. Tillman (1872-1925) then commenced a craftsman bungalow for Charles Eglin, which was completed around Thanksgiving 1917. (The Jackson County Times, October 27, 1917 and November 24, 1917)
The Charles Eglin bungalow was used as a rental when Mr. Eglin moved in the 1940s, to the Fort Bayou Community, now misnamed St. Martin by uniformed politicians and County officials. It was demolished circa 1966, by Clarence Galle (1912-1986). (Larry Galle and Lex Eglin, September 16, 2003)
Eglin country home
In August 1925, Charles W. Eglin began acquiring land in the Fort Bayou Community in the NE/4 of Section 9, T7S-R8W, when Raymond Garlotte sold him five acres. A large parcel of sixty-acres was bought in January 1932 from H.F. Russell (1858-1940), which was also situated in the NE/4 of Section 9, T7S-R8W. Mr. Eglin extended his Fort Bayou acreage into the NW/4 of Section 10, T7S-R8W in September 1940, with a10-acre acquisition from, Everett Byrd. The consideration was $500. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 57, pp. 522-523; Bk. 88, pp. 476-477; and Bk. 66, pp. 466-467)
Here in the SW/4 of the NW/4 of Section 10, T7S-R8W, Mr. Eglin built a simple country home where he raised cattle, sheep, and other common farm animals. Before he retired permanently to the Fort Bayou Community, Mr. Eglin would leave his Washington Avenue meat market each evening a drive to his "farm", which was situated on the east side of Eglin Road, named for him, which runs north-south on the section line between Section 9 and Section 10 of T7S-R8W. Several years after Mr. Eglin’s death, his son, Lex Eglin, demolished the place. (Dot Eglin D. McKinnon, September 16, 2003)
Gertrude Galle and Charles W. Eglin with grandchildren
[L-R: Gertrude "Gertie" Galle (1899-1951) and Charles W. Eglin (1883-1966). Grandchildren: Jeffrey W. Dees (1942-2009) and Sandra Ann Dees Halat (b. 1944), children of Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon (b. 1919) who married Joseph P. Dees (1910-1946) and Joseph M. McKinnon (1915-1980). Courtesy of Charles Lawrence 'Larry' Galle.]
CHARLES WILLIAM EGLIN III
Birth Jun. 2, 1947, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Death Feb. 15, 1968, Vietnam
Lance Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps
After the untimely death of his wife, in January 1921, Charles W. Eglin married Gertrude "Gertie" Galle (1899-1951), in October 1925. Miss Galle was the daughter of Frank E. Galle (1877-1934) and Jesse Bird (1880-1942). They had two sons, Thomas Albert Eglin (1926-1942) and Alexis H. Eglin (b. 1929). Alexis H. Eglin married Treva Bauman (b. 1934), the daughter of Manuel Bauman (1904-1973) and Emma Mae King (1906-1988). (JXCO, Ms. MRB 17, p. 57)
Thomas A. Eglin was killed in an accident at the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation boatyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi in late October 1942, while employed as an inventory and control clerk, or steel checker, for an operating crane. He had been employed here for only five months. The Eglin family received $8000 for his accidental death from the corporation. (The Jackson County Times, October 31, 1942, p. 1 and JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 6924-August 1943)
Mrs. Gertie Eglin died at Biloxi on May 14, 1951. Her corporal remains were interred in the Evergreen Cemetery. Circa 1941, Charles W. Eglin retired to his farm north of Old Fort Bayou on Eglin Road, south of Fort Bayou Road. He lived here until late June 1966, when he met death in Howard Memorial Hospital in Biloxi. (The Daily Herald, May 14, 1951, p. 3 and The Daily Herald, June 24, 1966, p. 2)
In the late 1940s, Charles W. Eglin Jr. (1917-2002) opened a dry cleaning service on the east side of Jackson Avenue between Porter and Desoto. He advertised his enterprise with this slogan-"Work called for and Delivered-Prompt Service". Circa 1948, Mr. Eglin and his spouse leased the business to Clarence Galle (1912-1986) and relocated to New York, her natal State. After their careers had ended, the Eglins retired to Florida. Clarence Galle left the cleaners in January 1951and leased the business to Malcolm F. "Bud" Hodges (b. 1928). Mr. Hodges instituted a complete service with pick up and delivery service for his clients. In 1966, Clarence Galle returned again to operate the Jackson Avenue cleaners. Henry Burkhardt, a Black man, worked in the business for Mr. Galle. The building that housed the Eglin-Galle-Hodges cleaners was probably demolished to build the Villa Maria and/or Samaritan House.(The Jackson County Times, May 24, 1947, p. 8 and The Gulf Coast Times, January 5, 1951, p. 1 and Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon, September 16, 2003 and C. Lawrence Galle, October 2009)
Eulalie M. Busbee
Eulalie Marie "Lillie" Eglin (1885-1971) was born January 8, 1885. She married James Busbee of Mobile, Alabama on November 12, 1907. They had three sons born in Alabama: Wilbur J. Busbee (1909-1991); Carl F. Busbee (1910-1987); and Everett Eglin or Elkin Busbee (1912-1987) married five times: married Gladys McGinty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.S. McGinty on July 21, 1951; married about 1961, Rena C. Broussard (1924-1997), who was born at Youngsville, Louisiana. Worked at the Post Office and retired. Mrs. Busbee expired in early November 1971. Her remains were interred at Fort Worth, Texas. No further information. (Lepre, 1991, p. 101, JXCO, Ms. MRB 8, p. 428 and The Ocean Springs Record, November 18, 1971, p. 3 and The Daily Herald, July 23, 1951, p. 2)
Carl F. Busbee (1910-1987) married Naomi Lacey (1914-2007), a native of New Orleans, on August 3, 1938 at New Orleans. Naomi Lacey was the daughter of Dennis Lacey and Elizabeth Larsen. Carl and Naomi were the parents of: Sandra Wade and husband, Jerry of Granbury, Texas; sons, Carl Busbee and wife, Bonnie of Conroe, Texas and Jerry Busbee and wife, Mary of Hurst, Texas; daughter, Sherry Busbee and husband, Warren Schroeder of New York. Naomi Lacey Busbee expired at Hurst, Tarrant County, Texas on October 10, 2007.(The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, October 29, 2007 and Linda S. Olson)
Verna O. Eglin
Verna Orelia Eglin (1886-1886) was born February 19, 1886. She died on October 1, 1886. (Lepre, 1989, p. 47 and Lepre, 1991, p. 102)
Thomas A. Eglin
Thomas Anthony Eglin (1887-1914) was born December 19, 1887. He was employed as a flagman on L&N Train No. 38, better known as the New York Limited. He was killed by bandits who robbed the conductor and baggage man for less than $20 on July 17, 1914. The armed robbery took place on the eastern outskirts of New Orleans. Mr. Eglin’s corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery at Ocean Springs. Thomas A. Eglin was a bachelor. (Lepre, 1991, p. 102 and The Ocean Springs News, July 18, 1914, p. 1)
Magdalen G. Wilbert
Magdalen "Lena" Geneva Eglin (1890-1928) was born at Ocean Springs on February 2, 1890. She married A. J. "Joseph" Wilbert and resided in Mobile. They had a son, A.J. "Joe" Wilbert Jr. (1920-1941), who died following an appendectomy while a student at Auburn Polytechnic Institute, now Auburn University. He was to receive his mechanical engineering degree in June 1941. Joe was a graduate of McGill Institute in Mobile and had the highest grade point average of his Auburn graduating class. (The Jackson County Times, June 7, 1941, p. 1 and Dot Eglin D. McKinnon)
Lena Eglin Wilbert expired on February 11, 1928, at Mobile from typhoid fever. Her corporal remains were sent to Ocean Springs for internment in the Bellande Cemetery, after services at the Eglin home and St. Alphonsus Catholic Church. The Wilberts were childless. (The Jackson County Times, February 11, 1928, p. 3 and Dot Eglin D. McKinnon)
Regina Hines, Ocean Springs, 1892, 2nd Edition, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula, Mississippi-1979).
The History of Jackson County, Mississippi, "George Washington Thomas", (Jackson County Genealogical Society: Pascagoula, Mississippi-1989).
Jerome Lepre, The Krohn Family, (Lepre: New Orleans-1989).
Jerome Lepre, Catholic Church Records Diocese of Biloxi, Mississippi (1843-1900), Volume I, (Catholic Diocese of Biloxi: Biloxi, Mississippi-1991).
Marriages-Harrison County, Mississippi (1841-1899), compiled by Grace Husly and Minnie Atkins, p. 23.
Chancery Court Cases
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 624, "The Estate of Albert Eglin", April 1895.
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 1257, "The Guardianship of Lillie Eglin, et al", February 1904.
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 6766, "Alma Eglin Hosey v. William H. Hosey", November 1942.
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 6924, "The Guardianship of Alexis H. Eglin", August 1943.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, "City News", January 19, 1904.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs", March 1, 1906.
The Daily Herald, "Tom Eglin, Murdered in L&N Holdup", July 25, 1914.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Eglin Dead", May 30, 1916.
The Daily Herald, "Walking Mail Carrier", December 26, 1922.
The Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs", February 22, 1927.
The Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs", August 3, 1939.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Eglin Dies", May 14, 1951.
The Daily Herald, "Busbee-McGinty", July 23, 1951.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Eugenia Armstrong", August 6, 1962.
The Daily Herald, "Man Dies In Fire At Ocean Springs Apartment House", September 22, 1964.
The Daily Herald, "Charles W. Eglin", June 24, 1966.
The Daily Herald, "[Charles Eglin III] Eglin dies in Vietnam", February 19, 1968.
The Gulf Coast Times, "Donna Eglin Is Ocean Springs Miss Hospitality", June 25, 1953.
The Jackson County Times, "Local News Items", September 16, 1916.
The Jackson County Times, "Local News Interests", October 27, 1917.
The Jackson County Times, "Local News Interests", November 24, 1917.
The Jackson County Times, "Death of Mrs. Chas. Eglin", January 8, 1921.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", March 26, 1927.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", June 8, 1927.
The Jackson County Times, "Death of Mrs. Lena Wilbert", February 11, 1928.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", November 16, 1929.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", March 7, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, "Local and Personal", December 26, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, "'Polly' Armstrong is made manager of Light Company office", June 24, 1939.
The Jackson County Times, "Announcement", November 18, 1939.
The Jackson County Times, "Jackson-Cavanaugh", January 27, 1940.
The Jackson County Times, "Jos. Wilbert Dies Suddenly At Auburn", June 7, 1941.
The Jackson County Times, "Struck by crane, Young Tom Eglin dies Tuesday A.M.", October 31, 1942.The Jackson County Times, "John R. Eglin Dies", August 10, 1946.
The Jackson County Times, "Eglin’s Dry Cleaning" ( an advertisement), May 24, 1947.
The Ocean Springs News, "Local News", February 6, 1909.
The Ocean Springs News, "Local News", June 17, 1911.
The Ocean Springs News, "Local News", February 26, 1910.
The Ocean Springs News, "Tom Eglin Killed By Bandits Who Hold Up Train", July 18, 1914.
The Ocean Springs News, "Mrs. Amelia Eglin Passes Away", June 1, 1916.The Ocean Springs News, "Annie O. Eglin", March 7, 1963.
The Ocean Springs News, "Ramblings", March 7, 1963.
The Ocean Springs News, "Ramblings", October 1, 1964.
The Ocean Springs News, "Landmark Makes Way For Progress", January 10, 1968.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Ms. Lillian E. Busbee", November 18, 1971.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Ribbon Cutting For Villa Maria", December 2, 1971.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Everett E. Busbee", February 12, 1987.
The Ocean Springs Record, "Donna Eglin Burch", August 10, 2006.
The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, "Ocean Springs Locals", August 24, 1900.
The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, "Ocean Springs Locals", May 23, 1902.
The Progress, "Local News Items", January 16, 1904.
The Progress, "Local News Items", September 3, 1904.
The Sun Herald, "Ex-Mayor of Natchez joins Harrison Tourism Commission", October 1, 1993.
The Sun Herald, "Alma Eglin, former merchant and longtime civic leader, dies", November 20, 1998.
The Sun Herald, "Donna Eglin Burch", August 8, 2006.
The Sun Herald, "Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon", December 31, 2014.
Sanborn Map Company (New York), "Ocean Springs, Mississippi" (1909)- Sheet 2, and (1925)- Sheet 4.
Alma Eglin Garlick - August 1993
J.K. Lemon - August 1993
Dorothy Eglin Dees McKinnon - August 1993
Robin Ann McKinnon - August 1993
Elaine Ryan Miller - September 1993
Linda Shephard Olson-August 3, 2007