- Printer-friendly version
- 218 views
John Frederick Hoffman III (1886-1967) House (circa 1913)
(situated on Beuhler Street-north of CSX RR. and west of Cox Avenue)
(l-r: Margaret Hoffman Fillingim (1916-1966); Hattie C. Hoffman (1889-1958); and Louise E.H.C. Beuhler (1879-1965)
John F. Hoffman Jr.
John Frederick Hoffman Jr. (1852-1906) was born at New Orleans, the son of John F. Hoffman and Mary Louise Munsch Hoffman Buttner (1832-1912), both German immigrants. After the demise of his father, Mrs. Hoffman married Frederick Buttner (1826-1903), a native of Saxony, Germany.
John F. Hoffman Jr. (1852-1906) married Mary Pauline Schmidt at New Orleans. Their children were: Wilhelmina “Nell” Hoffman Littolff (1878-1902), Louise Emma H. Buehler (1879-1965), Marie Elizabeth H. Fayard (1884-1951), John F. Hoffman III (1886-1967), and Charles W. Hoffman (1889-1972).
John Frederick Hoffman Jr. (1852-1906)
John F. Hoffman Jr. acquired land at Ocean Springs as early as September 1880, when he bought a tract east of Ocean Springs known as “The Thomas Place” from Jacob Schneller and F.W. Illing for $400. The “Thomas Place”derived its name from Barney Thomas, George Thomas, and Mrs. Soden, who once owned this parcel with a five-hundred sixty-four foot front on Government Street.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 4, pp. 596-598) Almost immediately, he sold this tract to his mother, Marie L. Hoffman Buttner. In the warranty deed, this land was described as being west of the “Old Delgado Place” and East of Mrs. Soden.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 4, pp. 638-639)
The Buttner’s home was situated on the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Iberville. It was sold to Louis A. Lundy (1876-1941) in May 1913, by Commissioner Fred Taylor after the litigation, John Hoffman et al v. Herman Buttner, was adjudicated in the Chancery Court of Jackson County, Mississippi.(JXCO, Ms. Chancery Court Cause No. 3185, November 1912) The Buttner-Lundy place stood until it was torn down to erect a sanctuary for the Church of Christ, in the early 1960s.
John F. Hoffman expired at Ocean Springs on February 13, 1906. He was foreman of the Ocean Springs Fire Company and a member of Eureka Camp Woodmen of the World of New Orleans.(The Biloxi Daily Herald, February 14, 1906, p. 1)
Lorreta M. Litolff
Loretta Marie Litolff was born October 21, 1898. She was the only child of Wilhelmina Hoffman Litolff, who preceded her father in death. Frederick M. Dick (1857-1922) was appointed her legal guardian and held this position until May 1916, when Leonard J. Fayard (1847-1923), was appointed. She was given a living allowance of $12.50.( Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 1516-April 1906)
In January 1923, Loretta married George Arenstan, probably at New Orleans. He expired in Eldorado, Arkansas on March 5, 1923. Mrs. Arenstan was a resident of New Orleans at the time. She had once lived in Biloxi.(The Daily Herald, March 9, 1923, p. 3)
There is the probability that the widow, Loretta L. Arenstan, married a Mr. Strong at New Orleans and resided there until her death in July 1980. This hypothesis is based on information derived from the Social Security Death Index and has not been verified. No further information.
Louise E. Hoffman
Louise Emma H. Buehler was born December 17, 1879, at Galveston, Texas. She married Mr. Costley, a waiter in a New Orleans restaurant. They had a daughter, Anne C. Verner (1901-1990). Circa 1905, Louise married Christian Buehler (1865-1936), the son of Andrew Buehler (1823-1906) and Rosine Bieek or Biesk. They were the parents of Frank Christian Buehler (1909-1985).(Walterine V. Redding, April 4, 2002)
Louise Emma Hoffman Costley Buehler (1879-1965)
(courtesy of Walterine 'Sis' Verner Redding (1923-2005)
Christian Buehler made his livelihood as a painter and carpenter. The family resided on Cox Avenue. In his later life, Christian’s health slowly failed and he made a subsistence livelihood vending sandwiches and pies on the streets and at the L&N Depot. He suffered a severe stroke on March 1, 1936, at Gulf Hills, the day after his son’s wedding and expired on the same day at his home. Chris Buehler’s corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church.(The Jackson County Times, March 7, 1936, p. 3)
Louise Emma H.C. Buehler expired on April 28, 1965 at Biloxi. She resided at 102 Sherwood Circle in Ocean Springs. Mrs. Buehler rests eternally by her husband in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue at Ocean Springs.(The Daily Herald, April 29, 1965, p. 2)
Anne Costley Verner
Anne C. Verner was born on November 4, 1901, at New Orleans. She married Thomas Eugene Verner (1898-1989), of Memphis, Tennessee. Thomas had come to the Gulf Coast as his brother resided in Biloxi. He found work in Ocean Springs driving a taxi from the L&N Depot for J.J. “Ben” O’Keefe II (1894-1954).( Walterene V. Redding, April 4, 2002)
Thomas and Anne Costley Verner were the parents of: Laura Louise Verner (1922-1960), Walterene “Sis” Verner Redding (1923-2005), the spouse of Oliver Osborn Redding (1904-1982), Eugene J. Verner (1924-1924), and Frank L. Verner (b. 1927). Mrs. Verner worked as the manager of the United Poultry Producers after the retirement of Henry L. Girot (1886-1953) and at Gus Stevens Restaurant in Biloxi. She worshiped at the First Presbyterian Church of Ocean Springs, and was a member of the Eastern Star and kings daughters Charity Organization. She expired on May 5, 1990 and her corporal remains interred in the Bellande Cemetery.(The Sun Herald, May 6, 1990, p. B-2)
Frank C. Buehler
Frank C. Buehler (1909-1985) was in the first graduation class of the 1927 Ocean Springs Public School, which received their diplomas on May 31, 1928. Although two others students in the 1928 graduation class had the same scholastic average as Frank C. Beuhler, he was named Valedictorian of the class since he had a better attendance record. Local jeweler, Phil N. Kreutz (1869-1934), donated two gold medals to the public school. One was awarded to Beuhler as Valedictorian and the other to Catherine Carver, a third grader, for her perfect attendance record. Buehler went on to Perkinston Junior College to further his formal education.(The Jackson County Times, May 26, 1928, p. 2 and March 7, 1936, p. 3)
On February 29, 1936, Frank married Naomi Earle Watson (1915-1980), a native of Wade, Mississippi. She was the daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Henry C. Watson, of Tallahassee, Florida. Naomi was a graduate of the Florida State College for Women. Their nuptial ceremony was held in the Buehler home on Cox Avenue, with the Reverend A.B. Barry of the Methodist Church in attendance.(The Daily Herald, March 3, 1936, p. 3 and The Jackson County Times, March 7, 1936, p. 3)
During WW II, Frank C. Buehler served in the European Theater being honorably discharged in 1945, as a Captain. He served in the local Army National Guard as well. Naomi Earle Watson Buehler was also a WW II veteran having been a Naval pharmacist’s mate third class. The Buehlers had a jewelry store on Washington Avenue for about thirty years. They worshiped at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church. Naomi expired in Ocean Springs on May 14, 1980. Frank married Ethel Marion Beuhler after her demise. He died on June 25, 1985. Frank and Naomi W. Buehler’s remains were laid to rest in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue.(The Daily Herald, May 15, 1980, p. A-2 and June 27, 1985, p. A-2)
Beuhler’s Watch and Jewelry Shop
In mid-November 1950, Frank and Naomi Buehler commenced their watch repair and jewelry business at 116 Washington Avenue, now 626 Washington Avenue. He offered a wide range of services: clock and watch repair; watch band and bracelet repair; restringing of beads and pearls; ring sizing; diamond and jewelry cleaning; and evaluation of the condition of mounted settings. In preparation for this career, Mr. Buehler attended the Scientific School of Watch Making at Glendale, California for two years, graduating in January 1950. Simultaneously, Mrs. Buehler enrolled in the Glendale Secretarial College, where she studied stenography and salesmanship. Her responsibility in their enterprise was giftware and wrapping.(The Gulf Coast Times, November 17, 1950, p. 1)
As the business was a success, Frank C. Buehler and spouse acquired the lot and building that they been renting from Mrs. M.L. Rutherford in August 1952. The parcel had a front of thirty-five feet on Washington and ran 200 feet deep.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 126, pp. 313-314)
Ocean Springs Bakery
In January 1953, Frank C. Buehler began vending fresh rolls, donuts, cookies, pastries, pies, cakes, and bread from his Washington Avenue business. The bakery goods were made by the Quality Bakery in North Biloxi, now D’Iberville.(January 29, 1953, p. 1)
At post-retirement age and with his life partner gone, Frank C. Beuhler sold his building on Washington Avenue to Frank L. Verner and spouse. The small structure today is owned by the Moran family and has housed many small businesses this decade. Among them have been: Moo-licious,; Hot-doggin’ It, the predecessor of Salvetti’s; The Orient Express; Dee Ann’s Delight; The Very Thing; and Salon Boudreau.(JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 740 , p. 660)
Hattie V. Colligan
On August 10, 1910, John Frederick Hoffman III (1886-1967) married Hattie V. Colligan (1889-1958), the daughter of James Colligan (1855-1905) and Ellen Bird (1860-1926), in the Episcopal Church at Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Their children were: James F. “Boots” Hoffman (1912-1937) and Margaret H. Fillingim (1916-1966), the wife of W.E. Filligim Jr.(JXCO, Ms. MRB 9, p. 224)
Marie E. Hoffman
Marie Elizabeth H. Fayard was born May 12, 1884 at New Orleans. She married John Alex Fayard (1887-1958), the son of Leonard Fayard and Martha Westbrook. Their children were: Edna F. Rogers (1908-1937) married David S. Rogers (1908-1988), John Lawton Fayard (1911-1929), Nellie Mae F. Gavins (1912-1985) married Leonard E. Gavins (1911-2000), John Alex Fayard, Jr. (1914-1915), Gladys F. Harris (b. 1917) married James Claude “Shorty” Harris (1918-1986), Marie Louise Fayard (1920-1921), Charles Alex Fayard (b. 1925), and James L. Fayard (1926-1990). Mrs. Fayard was a Methodist and member of the Tourist Club.(The Daily Herald, December 17, 1951, p. 8)
The Fayard family initially resided on Desoto Street near Cox Avenue, which was near Mrs. Fayard’s relatives, the Hoffmans and Beuhlers. It was here in the family home in August 1929, that John Lawton Fayard was killed by a bolt of lightning. Young Lawton was in the bathroom washing his hands when he was struck. He was employed with Dale Motors, Inc.(The Jackson County Times, August 17, 1929, p. 1 and Charles Fayard, March 30. 2002)
Mrs. Fayard operated an eatery, The Ocean Springs Café, at several locations. It was originally situated in the Schmidt building on the northeast corner of Washington and Desoto. She moved to a location near the Eglin House on Washington, then to Government, near the Ocean Springs Public School.(Charles Fayard, March 30, 2002)
John A. Fayard resided with his family on Government Street. He made his livelihood as a painter and interior decorator, as well as a building contractor. His spouse preceded his in death, expiring December 17, 1951. Mr. Fayard died on September 15, 1958. Both were interred in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue at Ocean Springs.(The Daily Herald, September 15, 1958, p. 2)
John F. Hoffman III
John Frederick Hoffman III (1886-1967) was born at New Orleans. After his father’s death in 1906, John Frederick Hoffman III and Charles W. Hoffman lived with their grandmother, Marie L. Buttner, on the southeast corner of Washington Avenue and Iberville. Circa 1919, he found employment with the L&N Railroad at Biloxi as an abstract clerk. In April 1926, Mr. Hoffman was promoted to Cashier in the Biloxi office of the L&N and eventually became the local freight agent. John Hoffman was an active member in Ocean Springs Fire Company No. 1, the Woodmen of the World, and other fraternal organizations.(The Jackson County Times, January 12, 1918, p. 5 and April 17, 1926, p. 1)
Hattie V. Colligan
On August 10, 1910, John Frederick Hoffman III (1886-1967) married Hattie V. Colligan (1889-1958), the daughter of James Colligan (1855-1905) and Ellen Bird (1860-1926), in the Episcopal Church at Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Their children were: James F. “Boots” Hoffman (1912-1937) and Margaret H. Fillingim (1916-1966), the wife of W.E. Fillingim Jr.(JXCO, Ms. MRB 9, p. 224)
Hattie C. Hoffman was an Ocean Springs native. Her father, James R. Colligan made his living initially working as a farmer with his father and then later as a carpenter. In 1900, he was employed on the bridge gang for the L&N Railroad. James and Ellen Colligan's children were: James H. Colligan (1888-1951), Hattie V. Hoffman (1889-1958), Mae C. Ryan (1892-1966), Nancy C. Bertuccini (1894-1984), Ellen C. McKay (1896-1951+), Jasper Colligan (1899-1951+), and Jessie C. Illing (1903-1972). The Colligans resided on the west side of Cox Avenue.
John F. Hoffman III entered the political arena at Ocean Springs in January 1918. He sought the position of alderman representing Ward II. John lost the election to Theodore Bechtel (1863-1931), but was elected to that office in 1931 and 1933, serving two terms.(The Jackson County Times, January 26, 1918, p. 5 and Schmidt, 1972, pp. 135-136)
In the summer of 1948, the Hoffmans took a vacation to the eastern seaboard and Canada. Their itinerary included New York City, Niagara Falls, Chicago, and Cincinnati. John F. Hoffman III became ill in Canada, which necessitated their return to Ocean Springs in late August.(The Daily Herald, August 19, 1948, p. 5)
Charles W. Hoffman
Charles Wesley Hoffman (1889-1972) was born at New Orleans on January 29, 1889. On September 27, 1911, in the Buttner home on Washington Avenue, he married Patty Jessie Lightsey (1881-1982), the daughter of Richard Lightsey and Alice Pilliam (Pilham) L. Mechain (1870-1934). The Reverend L.A. Darsey of the Methodist Church performed their nuptials. At this time, Mr. Hoffman was employed with the construction gang of the L&N Railroad. Prior to this, he had driven a grocery wagon for one of the town’s merchants.(JXCO, Ms. MRB 9, p. 340 and The Ocean Springs News, September 30, 1911 and 1910 Federal Census, JXCO, Ms.)
Pattie Jessie Lightsey (1887-1982) was born at Hampton, South Carolina. After her father passed, Alice P. Lightsey, her mother, married Adrian P. Mechain (1869-1948), a truck farmer and native of France. Monsieur Mechain was the brother of Adelaide M. Basly (1871-1949). Pattie’s siblings were Annie L. Duvernay (1891-1938), the spouse of Walter James Duvernay (1891-1955), and, Jack Lightsey (1891-1944). Jack served in France during WWI, where he was wounded and gassed. At Ocean Springs, he owned a building supply business.(The Jackson County Times, March 11, 1944, p. 1)
While with the L&N Railroad, Mr. Hoffman worked on the crew that built the Rigolets railroad bridge. He later was a self-employed carpenter and general contractor.(Charles Fayard, March 30, 2002)
Charles and Patty L. Hoffman resided at 705 Cox Avenue. Their two daughters were: Jessie H. Williams (1912-1989), the wife of Stanford Williams (1911-1985), and Pauline H. McCarty Cook (1914-2001), the spouse of James E. McCarty (1916-1989) and Colonel John Carter Cook (1913-1999), of Ocean Springs, and the widower of Vera A. Wulff (1906-1992). The corporal remains of Charles and Patty Hoffman were interred at Evergreen Cemetery.(The Ocean Springs Record, April 6, 1972, p. 6)
Jessie Hoffman married Stanford A. Williams Sr. (1911-1985). Their children were: Jean W. Parker, Mary W. Schmedicke, Stanford A. Williams Jr., Donald Williams, and James Williams. Stanford A. Williams Sr. was employed at Ingalls Shipbuilding. He was a deacon of the First Baptist Church of Ocean Springs. Stanford expired on January 13, 1985. Jessie followed him in death and died in July 1989. They rest in the Crestlawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Ocean Springs.(The Ocean Springs Record, February 7, 1985, p. 3)
Pauline Hoffman married James E. “Jerry” McCarty (1916-1989), a native of Stringer, Jasper County, Mississippi, was born August 22, 1916. Jerry arrived at Ocean Springs in 1937. He served in the US Army during WW II from 1943-1946. Mr. McCarty made his livelihood as a civilian deputy finance officer at KAFB in Biloxi. He was active in the First Baptist Church in Ocean Springs where he was a deacon, Sunday school director, and teacher. Jerry expired at Ocean Springs, Mississippi on November 15, 1989. (The Sun Herald, November 16, 1989, p. C-2)
During WW II, Pauline H. McCarty was employed with the USO-Travelers Aid Unit at Biloxi as secretary. She later made her livelihood as a court reporter for the Judge Advocate’s staff at KAFB. Pauline commenced her Civil Service career at KAFB, in
January 1947, as a clerk-steno in the office of the Staff Judge Advocate. In March 1947, she was made a court reporter. Mrs. McCarty received a Superior performance rating in 1970. She retired in 1972, after twenty-five years of civil service. After Jerry’s demise in November 1989, Pauline married John Carter Cook (1913-1999), a retired U.S. Army Colonel and the widower of Vera “Skees” Wulff Cook (1906-1992). All were interred in the Crestlawn Memorial Park Cemetery.(The Daily Herald, July 6, 1972, p. 6 and The Sun Herald, September 7, 2001, p. A-9)
C.E. Schmidt, Ocean Springs French Beachhead, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula, Mississippi-1972)
Chancery Court Causes
Jackson County, Mississippi Chancery Court Cause No. 3185, “John Hoffman et al v. Herman Buttner”, November 1912.
The Biloxi Daily Herald, “Mississippi”, February 14, 1906.
The Daily Herald, “Christian Buehler Dies”, March 2, 1936.
The Daily Herald, “Buehler-Watson”, March 3, 1936.
The Daily Herald, “Pistol Is Found In Lunch Room”, March 18, 1937.
The Daily Herald, “Ocean Springs News Paragraphs”, August 19, 1948.
The Daily Herald, Mrs. Fayard Dies”, December 17, 1951.
The Daily Herald, “John Alex Fayard”, September 15, 1958.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Hattie Hoffman”, March 12, 1958.
The Daily Herald, “Ocean Springs Nurse Dies of Gunshot Wounds”, February 26, 1960.
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Louise Buehler”, April 29, 1965.
The Daily Herald, “Naomie W. Buehler”, May 15, 1980.
The Daily Herald, “Frank Buehler”, June 27, 1985.
The Gulf Coast Times, “Watch Shop Opened By Frank C. Buehler”, November 17, 1950.
The Gulf Coast Times, “Frank Buehler Opens New Bakery Here”, January 29, 1953.
The Jackson County Times, “John Hoffman Is A Candidate For Alderman”, January 26, 1918.
The Jackson County Times, “John Hoffman Receives Promotion On L&N”, April 17, 1926.
The Jackson County Times, “Williams-Hoffman”, October 19, 1932.
The Jackson County Times, “Christian Buehler”, March 7, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, “Buehler-Watson”, March 7, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, “Lawton Fayard, 18, Killed By Lightning”, August 17, 1929.
The Jackson County Times, “Jack Lightsey”, March 11, 1944.
The Ocean Springs News, “Hoffman-Lightsey”, September 30, 1911.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Charles Hoffman”, April 6, 1972.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Court Reporter Retires”, July 6, 1972.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Mrs. Patty Hoffman”, January 21, 1982.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Stanford A. Williams Sr.”, February 7, 1985.
The Ocean Springs Record, “Nellie Mae Gavins”, December 26, 1985.
The Pascagoula Democrat-Star, “Ocean Springs Locals”, February 16, 1906.
The Sun Herald, “Mrs. Jessie Williams”, July 12, 1989.
The Sun Herald, “James ‘Jerry’ McCarty”, November 16, 1989.
The Sun Herald, “Mrs. Anne C. Verner”, May 6, 1990.
Charles Fayard, March 30, 2002.
Walterene “Sis” Redding, April 4, 2002.