- Printer-friendly version
- 209 views
LOCATION: Section 12, T5S-R9W
HISTORY: (see JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 206, p. 317 and Bk. 361, p. 303)
Camelia M. Giametta Cates 1-12-1923 to 1-3-2001
Mary Eliza Cates 7-18-1883 to 8-29-1969
Chasity Marie Griffin 3-8-1992 to 2-17-2010
Robena E. Harper 7-5-1915 to 3-11-2003
William P. Harper 8-27-1922 to 4-14-1985
Clara Myers Parker Meyer 6-4-1935 to 1-1-2009
Leslie P. Meyer 2-29-1920 to 12-21-1989
Maggie Ellen Myers 11-20-1907 to 3-19-1974
William Emry Myers 7-29-1900 to 8-30-1979
Ernest Emile Scara 12-11-1936 to 2-5-1998
GMG3 US Navy
Joy “Pete” Wilson 2-1-1934 to
Leo Wilson 7-20-1921 to 9-9-1993
The Daily Herald, “Mrs. Mary Cates”, August 30, 1969, p. 2.
The Sun Herald, “Camella G. Cates”, January 5, 2001, p. A7.
The Sun Herald, “Robena Harper”, March 12, 2003, p. A10.
The Sun Herald, “Clara Parker Meyer”, January 3, 2009, p. A4.
The Sun Herald, “Chasity Marie Griffin”, February 21, 2010, p. A12.
Ray L. Bellande
Survey: August 17, 1993, January 30, 2001
LATIMER ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH CEMETERY
LOCATION: The Latimer Cemetery is located NE/4 of the SE/4 of Section 10, T6S-R9W. It is just northwest of the Latimer Community at the intersection of Old Biloxi Road and the Byrd Road-Tower Road. The cemetery is 7 miles north northwest of Ocean Springs.
DIRECTIONS: From the intersection of Bienville Boulevard (US 90) and Washington Avenue at Ocean Springs, go north on Washington Avenue 2.9 miles to Interstate 10. Cross the Interstate and bear left onto Tucker Road. Go 3.18 miles northwest on Tucker Road to Old Biloxi Road. On Old Biloxi Road go north 2.44 miles to the Latimer Assembly of God Church located on the left (west) side of Old Biloxi Road. The cemetery is south of the church.
HISTORY: In January 1934, Allie House Byrd (1895- ) and husband, Clarence Byrd, conveyed to the Trustees, R.R. Cruthirds, Carmelious Seymour, and Clarence Byrd, of the Full Gospel Assembly of the Assemblies of God Church in the Latimer precinct, 4 1/2 acres, more or less, in the NE/4 of the SE/4 of Section 10, T6S-R9W (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 66, p. 130).
Mrs. Allie Byrd was the stepdaughter of John Michael Fitzhenry (1831-1916), an Irish immigrant. Mr. Fitzhenry married her widowed mother, Rosaline Evans House (1854-1910+), circa 1890. Other members of the family were Allie's sister, Edna House (1893), and Joe Batson (1887- c.1983), an orphaned Black man.
Joe Batson reared thirteen children at Latimer with his wife, Laura Burney (1898-1991). He made his livelihood as a "chipper" in the turpentine industry, and was known for his syrup making. In July 1990, the road, which connects the Old Biloxi Road with Fort Bayou Road west of Vancleave was named Joe Bat Road in honor of Batson's contributions to the Latimer community.
John M. Fitzhenry was a successful jeweler in Biloxi. After his death in 1916, he left Allie House Byrd the land, which she later donated to the Latimer Assembly of God in 1934.
The cemetery is approximately 100 feet x 100 feet in area.
The Mississippi Press, "Latimer-Once-thriving center still active, growing", January 30, 1989, pp. 1-2A.
The Mississippi Press, "Batson Clan gathers-Joe Bat Road dedication", July 4, 1990, p. 10-A.
The Sun Herald, "Under their family tree", July 4, 1990.
US Census-Jackson County, Mississippi (1910).
Darlene Jones Krohn - August 1993.