- Printer-friendly version
- 118 views
Buehler Cottage (circa 1913)
(situated on Beuhler Street-north of CSX RR. and west of Cox Avenue)
(l-r: Louise E. H. C. Beuhler (1879-1965), Margaret Hoffman Filligim (1916-1966), and Hattie C. Hoffman (1889-1958)
The progenitors of the Buehler family at Ocean Springs were Andrew Buehler (1823-1906) a native of Germany and his wife, Rosine Biesk, also German born. Their children were: Andrew Buehler II (1859-1939) and Christian Buehler (1865-1936). Buehler is enunciated as "bee-ler".
Andrew Buehler II
Andrew Buehler II (1859-1939) was born at New Orleans. He married Mary Buehler (1865-1891). They were the parents of Annie Buehler (1885-1910+), Andrew Buehler III (b. 1887), John Buehler (1889-1910+), and Rosa Buehler (1892-1910+).
In 1894, after the death of his spouse, Andrew Buehler II married Pearl Fayard (1872-1906). She was the daughter of Leonard J. Fayard (1847-1923) and Martha Jane Westbrook (1851-1918). Their children were: Otto G. Buehler (1895-1969); Ambrose Buehler (1898-1899); Walter Clifford Buehler (1900-1960); Philip Conrad Buehler (1904-1986) married Viola May Bauer (1904-1991); and Rose Buehler (b. ca 1906) married Lawrence Rafferty and Richard White. In 1910, Andrew Buehler toiled as a painter for the L&N Railroad.
Christian Buehler (1865-1936) was a native of New Orleans. Circa 1905, he married Louise Emma Hoffman Costley (1879-1965). She was born on December 17, 1879, at Galveston, Texas the daughter of John F. Hoffman Jr. (1852-1906) and Mary Pauline Schmidt, both New Orleans natives. Prior to her betrothal to Christian Buehler, Louise had married Mr. Costley, a waiter in a New Orleans restaurant. They had a daughter, Anne Costley Verner (1901-1990). Louise and Christian Buehler were the parents of Frank Christian Buehler (1909-1985). (Walterene V. Redding, April 4, 2002)
Christian Buehler made his livelihood as a painter, carpenter, and boilermaker. The family resided on "Buehler Avenue", which no longer exists but was once situated on the north side of the L&N Railroad, now CSX Railroad, and west of Cox Avenue, in the rear of Sonic Drive-In and the office of Ellis Branch, realtor. (Walterene V. Redding, June 10, 2003)
In his later life, Christian’s health slowly failed and he made a subsistence livelihood vending sandwiches and pies on the streets and at the L&N Depot. He suffered a severe stroke on March 1, 1936, at Gulf Hills, the day after his son’s wedding and expired on the same day at his home. Chris Buehler’s corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church. (The Jackson County Times, March 7, 1936, p. 3 and Walterene V. Redding, June 10, 2003)
Louise Emma Hoffman Costley Buehler (1879-1965)
(courtesy of Walterine 'Sis' Verner Redding (1923-2005)
Louise Emma H.C. Buehler expired on April 28, 1965 at Biloxi. She resided at 102 Sherwood Circle in Ocean Springs, the home of her daughter, at the time of her demise. Mrs. Buehler rests eternally by her husband in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue at Ocean Springs. (The Daily Herald, April 29, 1965, p. 2)
STOVE and FIREPLACE WOOD
(The Ocean Springs News, November 4, 1915, p. 3)
Anne Costley Verner
Anne C. Verner was born on November 4, 1901, at Galveston, Texas. She married Thomas Eugene Verner (1898-1989), of Memphis, Tennessee. Thomas had come to the Gulf Coast as his brother resided in Biloxi. He found work in Ocean Springs driving a taxi from the L&N Depot for J.J. "Ben" O’Keefe (1894-1954). They were the parents of: Laurie Louise Verner (1922-1960); Walterene "Sis" Verner Redding (1923-2005), the spouse of Oliver Osborn Redding (1904-1982); Eugene J. Verner (1924-1924); and Frank L. Verner (1927-2010) husband of Jewel Ash. Mrs. Verner managed United Poultry Producers after the retirement of Henry L. Girot Jr. (1886-1953) and also was employed at the Gus Stevens Restaurant in Biloxi. She worshiped at the First Presbyterian Church of Ocean Springs, and was a member of the Eastern Star and Kings Daughters charity organization. Mrs. Verner expired on May 5, 1990 and her corporal remains were interred in the Bellande Cemetery. (The Sun Herald, May 6, 1990, p. B-2 and Walterene V. Redding, June 10, 2003)
Frank C. Buehler
Frank C. Buehler (1909-1985) was in the first graduation class of the 1927 Ocean Springs Public School, which received their diplomas on May 31, 1928. Although two others students in the 1928 graduation class had the same scholastic average as Frank C. Buehler, he was named Valedictorian of the class since he had a better attendance record. Local jeweler, Phil N. Kreutz (1869-1934), donated two gold medals to the public school. One was awarded to Beuhler as Valedictorian and the other to Catherine Carver, a third grader, for her perfect attendance record. Buehler went on to Perkinston Junior College to further his formal education. (The Jackson County Times, May 26, 1928, p. 2 and March 7, 1936, p. 3)
On February 29, 1936, Frank married Naomi Earle Watson (1915-1980), a native of Wade, Mississippi. She was the daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Henry C. Watson, of Tallahassee, Florida. Naomi was a graduate of the Florida State College for Women. Their nuptial ceremony was held in the Buehler home on Cox Avenue, with the Reverend A.B. Barry of the Methodist Church in attendance. (The Daily Herald, March 3, 1936, p. 3 and The Jackson County Times, March 7, 1936, p. 3)
During WW II, Frank C. Buehler served in the European Theater being honorably discharged in 1945, as a Captain. He served in the local Army National Guard as well. Naomi Earle Watson Buehler was also a WW II veteran having been a Naval pharmacist’s mate third class. The Buehlers had a jewelry store on Washington Avenue for about thirty years. They worshiped at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church. Naomi expired in Ocean Springs on May 14, 1980. Frank married Ethel Marion Buehler after her demise. He died on June 25, 1985. Frank and Naomi W. Buehler’s remains were laid to rest in the Bellande Cemetery on Dewey Avenue. (The Daily Herald, May 15, 1980, p. A-2 and June 27, 1985, p. A-2)
Buehler’s Watch and Jewelry Shop In mid-November 1950, Frank and Naomi Buehler commenced their watch repair and jewelry business at 116 Washington Avenue, now 626 Washington Avenue. He offered a wide range of services: clock and watch repair; watch band and bracelet repair; restringing of beads and pearls; ring sizing; diamond and jewelry cleaning; and evaluation of the condition of mounted settings. In preparation for this career, Mr. Buehler attended the Scientific School of Watch Making at Glendale, California for two years, graduating in January 1950. Simultaneously, Mrs. Buehler enrolled in the Glendale Secretarial College, where she studied stenography and salesmanship. Her responsibility in their enterprise was giftware and wrapping. (The Gulf Coast Times, November 17, 1950, p. 1)
As the business was a success, Frank C. Buehler and spouse acquired the lot and building that they been renting from Mrs. M.L. Rutherford in August 1952. The parcel had a front of thirty-five feet on Washington and ran 200 feet deep. (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 126, pp. 313-314)
Ocean Springs Bakery In January 1953, Frank C. Buehler began vending fresh rolls, donuts, cookies, pastries, pies, cakes, and bread from his Washington Avenue business. The bakery goods were made by the Quality Bakery in North Biloxi, now D’Iberville. (The Gulf Coast Times, January 29, 1953, p. 1)
At post-retirement age and with his life partner gone, Frank C. Buehler sold his building on Washington Avenue to Frank L. Verner and spouse. The small structure today is owned by the Moran family and has housed many small businesses this decade. Among them: Moo-licious; Hot-doggin’ It, the predecessor of Salvetti’s; The Orient Express; Dee Ann’s Delight; The Very Thing; and presently Salon Boudreau. . (JXCO, Ms. Land Deed Bk. 740, p. 660 )
In 1972, Mr. Buehler sold his jewelry business to William Paul Shelton (1910-2001), a native of Flat, Texas, who commenced in the pawn and jewelry business in Biloxi in 1945, after his military career had ended. (The Ocean Springs Record-Independent, March 1, 2001, p. 3)
C.E. Schmidt, Ocean Springs French Beachhead, (Lewis Printing Services: Pascagoula, Mississippi-1972)
The Biloxi Daily Herald, "Mississippi", February 14, 1906.
The Daily Herald, "Christian Buehler Dies", March 2, 1936.
The Daily Herald, "Buehler-Watson", March 3, 1936.
The Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs News Paragraphs", August 19, 1948.
The Daily Herald, Mrs. Fayard Dies", December 17, 1951.
The Daily Herald, "John Alex Fayard", September 15, 1958.
The Daily Herald, "Ocean Springs Nurse Dies of Gunshot Wounds", February 26, 1960.
The Daily Herald, "Mrs. Louise Buehler", April 29, 1965.
The Daily Herald, "Naomie W. Buehler", May 15, 1980.
The Daily Herald, "Frank Buehler", June 27, 1985.
The Gulf Coast Times, "Watch Shop Opened By Frank C. Buehler", November 17, 1950.
The Gulf Coast Times, "Frank Buehler Opens New Bakery Here", January 29, 1953.
The Jackson County Times, "Williams-Hoffman", October 19, 1932.
The Jackson County Times, "Christian Buehler", March 7, 1936.
The Jackson County Times, "Buehler-Watson", March 7, 1936.
The Sun Herald, "Walterene "Sis" V. Redding, September 25, 2005, p. A27.
The Sun Herald, "Frank L. Verner, June 9, 2010, p. A4.